Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 11/17/2005, 10:28 AM
Moved On

Question about Hydor Flo

Hi folks, I've installed two Hydor Flos to 2 of the 6 outputs on my Closed Loop. They are poiniting straight down, about 1/2" below the water's surface.

Anyway, the problem is I can see lots of water bubbling out the wrong end of the unit. (It's being pushed out in the opposite direction as the main output.) It seems like a serious waste of flow.

But maybe it needs to have water escape through the back in order for the gears to work right? Any ideas? I'd like to try and diy a gasket to block it up and see if that increases flow out the front.

Thanks,
Jh
Old 11/17/2005, 10:54 AM
Knows Victoria's Secret

They only work between a certain flow range, dunno what yours is, but maybe its more then it can handle, and thats how it releases it?
Old 11/17/2005, 11:02 AM
Registered Member

yes they do work within a certain flow range. I find that hydors restrict the gph amount of flow that your power head is rated for which I guess would be the compromise.
Old 11/17/2005, 11:25 AM
Moved On

Thanks guys.

If I did the math correctly (Iwaki RX40= 1300 GPH), then I should have about 200 gph out of each of the six nozzles. The other four outlets are on flex-lock with 1/4 nozzles. The CL uses a 1" manifold.

The instructions of the Hydor say it works from 80 to 310 GPH.

Has anyone else noticed the water flowing out the back on the Hydors?
Old 11/17/2005, 11:44 AM
Registered Member

I'll check mine when I get home tonight but honestly I never really paid any attention to it. LOL
Old 11/17/2005, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

I notice a back flow of bubbles after turning the pump off and then restarting. It seems to go away then, but it stands to reason that it flows out the back because the pressure is too high to get it all out the front. Your gasket idea may work, or maybe its only when air is trapped in there that the back flow happens?
Old 11/17/2005, 03:43 PM
Much Happier Now

yes , i have 5 of these and they all do it.

Jamie
Old 11/17/2005, 11:51 PM
Moved On

Interesting. Thanks for the responses.

It does seem like a waste of flow however. But these things look to be very well designed, so I'll assume it's necessary to have flow wasted out the backside.

Anyone ever consider trying a mod to try to get more flow out the front?

Even if the backflow could be diverted in another direction at least that way it wouldn't be completely wasted.