Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2002, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Question Sps Stress

My last shipment of coral arrived yesterday after spending 2 days getting here. They sat in Tennessee FedEX because of the storm. The heat packs were still warm and the coral looked OK. I did a slow acclimation, then a tech D dip then rinsed them off with water from my tank and put them in my system (50 gal 75lbs LR 70lbs DSB). I have kept them shaded so they are not getting full strength MH. They have developed a slight brown tint. Does anyone know any more things i can do to keep them from getting more brown? I have my skimmer runnning, 3 power heads, and charcoal in my media basket. The other livestock in my tank are happy, the other coral RBT are open. Thinking a water change tomorrow might be a good idea?

:fish2:
Old 12/23/2002, 07:00 AM
Garbologist

Just the fact that they have any color is a good sign. SPS are amazingly hardy corals and can take some major abuse and still amage to survive. IMO a water change can never hurt anything, but I don't think it would make any difference in your case. I would move them out of the shaded area to a low lighted area for a couple of days and then to the spot where you plan on keeping them. I have never been a fan of slow light aclimation but in your situation it might be best. I think you are OK.

The Tribal Wisdom of the Dakota Indians, passed on from generation to generation, says that:

"When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."
Old 12/23/2002, 12:10 PM
Registered Member

Talking sps stress

Thank you for your response. I was folllowing Anthony Calfo's recommendations for receiving coral in his "Book of Coral Propagation". He said to handle them less, so put them were you want them then shade them from above. I was able to do that cause i have a pendant light set up like yours over an acrylic tank(i went to your site) The polyps on the coral have opened so everything looks OK. I don't know if this is a better way of handling the coral or not.... we'll see. Your tank looks wonderful!

:fish2: