Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 11:24 AM
25 Characters is Not Enou

Question Looking for Pointers on Aquapod Waterchange

I am very familiar with water changes in my 90g with
sump. Pump then dump (multi gallons of sw into my sump
where it mixes nicely and the inhabitants never know
what happened).

How do you do a 1/4 water change in a 24g aquapod
without affecting the occupants?
Old 12/22/2007, 11:51 AM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
As long as your temp & SG are matched up, it shouldn't be a problem. I use airline tube to siphon out the water, and a pitcher to dump it back in. Stirs up some stuff from the LR, but my corals like it...it's a nice snack for them.
Old 12/22/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

I have a 12, but I just use an extra ph to pump water into a gallon jug then pour the new mix into the back chamber. I only do 1 gallon a week so it is a little less volume than you will be doing. If the new water is pretty close in sg/ ph you wont have any problems. I don't heat the new water. I just use room temp.
Old 12/22/2007, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

I do water changes on my 13 gallon nano, about 2-3 gallons at a time, just pour it in slow and make sure parameters match tank as close as possible (temp,sg, ph, etc). I do prenmix my replacement saltwater though and heat it and aerate it for 24 hours before doing change - lots of opinions on if that is necessary but it works for me.
Old 12/22/2007, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

I have a 12 gallon aquapod, I mix up saltwater for a few hours with a powerhead, guessing at temp, stir up the whole tank, siphon out the gunk, back chambers, etc and dump in the fresh water. It probably affect my occupants quite a bit but I like to keep them on their toes. Every time I move the tank I use all new water so I don't have to lug as much and nothing's been overly stressed by that. My tanks all softies and lps though. Might be more careful with sps.