Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/21/2007, 03:06 PM
Registered Member

Unhappy My tank and I are moving. need help

Well I just purchased a new home, and will be moving in about 2 weeks. As if moving isn't bad enough, I have a tank to move too. Its a 75g tank with a sump, a good amount of livestock including a few nice sized SPS colonies. So... Does anyone have any tips as to how to sucessfully break down, transport, and set back up a tank without destroying the stability and risking the lives of my livestock?
Old 12/21/2007, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

get lots of big bins for livestock and LR.....
I just did a move and the only thing I lost (due to my fault) was a seahare.
put LR in seperate bins based on if they have coral attached or not...put livestock in another bin....make sure you have heaters and watermovement.
The coral bin, have a temp light set-up....for livestock....get a cheap clip on light....
try to save as much water and sand from tank as you can.....
put tank in new location add old tank water, add sand, add base rock, wait a day and then add coral....add livestock a day later...
do 10% water change......
I had my stuff like this for 4 days...no issues (except the seahare).

Good luck
Old 12/22/2007, 12:48 AM
Registered Member

when I moved I had a spare tank that I set up ahead at the new location and filled it half way with water from water changes from old tank, rest as newly made salt water. that way when you move livestock over there is minimal stress. when you move coral and fish, be sure and use buckets with lids on them! Big Brute garbage cans with wheels work great. If you don't have any see if fellow local reefers will loan then to you. good luck.
Old 12/22/2007, 02:45 AM
Aquarium Addict

Save as much water as you can.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:01 AM
problem algae grower

only save a small amount of sand to seed the bed bin the rest.
Old 12/22/2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

if you have a long water change hose
or can buy one from lfs/hardware store - however many feet you will need from tank out to vehicle

hook up to your return pump.

place couple brute garbage cans in your moving truck

pump water right out of the tank into your garbage cans sitting in truck... move LR to your newly filled bins in truck.... handle your corals as necessary.

once in the new location just do it in the reverse order.

doing it this way you are making things as easy as possible and going to bring all water w/ you.... not having to carry a bunch of bins etc

regards
Old 12/22/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Location: Recently moved from Florida Panhandle to Bham AL. Still trying to figure out why?
Have moved two tanks twice. Once a few miles and recently to another state! rule of thumb. After 4 hours bacteria will die. Have a plan and plan well. we siphoned water to two large trash bins-placed rock in those. 5gal buckets used for corals. Tanks left quarter of water and sand and fish. Yeah was heavy but used dolly and truck and men! Was a 4 hour drive. put water, rocks, corals back in tanks and didn't touch for a few days. After all calmed down-rearranged and didn't loose anything.

I'm not bad...I'm just drawn that way!