Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/10/2006, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

What a tough weekend! Tornadoes

Well if you have been watching the news, my home town of Gallatin, TN got bombed this weekend by what looks to be an F4 tornadoe. I lucked out and only lost power and had no damage to anything. Hundreds of homes were leveled.

Just a little hint about generators though.

I picked up one on Friday night. It would run 1850 watts. This was only enough to power the fridge, a small 13 inch tv, one 20 watt lamp and my Iwaki system pump.

I would recommend going larger if you are ever in need of a generator.

I got power back Sunday afternoon and all was well, but if it had gone the projected week without power then heating and lighting would have become a factor.

I tried on several occasions to power my lighting system to no avail.

Icecap ballasts will shutoff on generators because it sends some pulses on the current from time to time and the Icecap is pretty sensitive to this stuff.

Also my metal halide ballasts are magnetic and it take a strong initial surge to power up the lights.

I did manage to finally get two 250 watt halides running.

(I sacrificed the fridge for the tank for three hours)

Plus the halides help to solve the heating issue.

Fun time and I know some of our Gulf Coast reefers are gearing up for another hurricane season. Good Luck.
Old 04/10/2006, 12:57 PM
Registered Member

Many of us in the computer field have spent a lot of money on 'uninterruptible power supplies' (UPS) - they do contain batteries that will run a halide system or pumps for perhaps an hour, but more importantly, many of them will condition power sources to prevent spikes (dirty power from generator -> UPS battery; clean UPS battery -> lighting system).
Old 04/10/2006, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Good idea! I may need to pick one of those up. I hope I never have to use one again.
Old 04/10/2006, 02:07 PM
2008 is going to be great

i remeber reading somewhere on RC here about ups's not being good for pumps because of something with the wave of the current.. maybe someone can shed a little more light on this.. it's been awhile since i've seen it
Old 04/10/2006, 02:57 PM
Registered Member

I can see potential problems with some draws, but in general, it should be fine. I just googled and found a few recommendations on wetwebmedia, too, so I'm inclined to think that any problems are going to be localized to a specific brand or setup - perhaps some motor driven pumps don't behave, I'm not sure. It's easy to test, in any case - you'll know relatively quickly if it's going to work or not. I'd probably avoid using it with any sort of wavemaker controlled pump - don't need the on/off draw on battery power.
Old 04/10/2006, 05:39 PM
Registered Member

I live within 30mins of all the damage in Arkansas and we were driving home with they hit.
Old 04/10/2006, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

I live right down the road from you aquaman222. Did you lose anything in your tank?

We should hook up sometime so you can see my lame tank.
Old 04/10/2006, 06:58 PM
SPS Freak

I have a 3000 watt generator I got for free. If I get another it will be a huge one. I want one that is 15000 plus built in so I can manually flip it.
Old 04/12/2006, 09:18 AM
Registered Member

I did not lose anything at all. I just kept the main pump going and power did return on Sunday afternoon. I can't understand how people who live in hurricane areas would ever invest in a nice tank. Too much risk.