Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/18/2007, 06:37 PM
Registered Member

coral beauty angel in tank???

i am thinking of getting a dwarf coral beauty angel in my 14 gallon biocube... i would only have 4 fish in my tank, but it says to watch angels with coral and inverts... what does that mean? soft coral or hard?? i have one LPS plate coral and a bubble anemone (which i am probably getting rid of-not the plate coral though) so would i have to worry about it nipping at my plate coral?? and i want to get a cleaner shrimp.. but would it nip at the cleaner as well???any advice would help because i love the fish!!!

Plate Coral
2 serpent stars
2 hermits and 4 snails
1 cleaner shrimp
2 false clowns
1 horseshoe crab

water : nirates nitrite amonia = 0
PH 8.2 temp 79 calc 400
Old 01/18/2007, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

I really wouldn't, heh.

That size tank is way too small for even a dwarf angel, imo, let alone any more fish.
Old 01/18/2007, 06:45 PM
Registered Member

i'd agree, my coral beauty has reached a length of about 4.5 inches, much too big for a 14 gallon
Old 01/18/2007, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

yeah but i am getting a female dwarf which are relatively smaller and only grow to about 3 inches max.... would it nip at coral though ?

Plate Coral
2 serpent stars
2 hermits and 4 snails
1 cleaner shrimp
2 false clowns
1 horseshoe crab

water : nirates nitrite amonia = 0
PH 8.2 temp 79 calc 400
Old 01/18/2007, 06:49 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by oxkisses12ox
yeah but i am getting a female dwarf which are relatively smaller and only grow to about 3 inches max.... would it nip at coral though ?
I don't think you will have that much of an issue in that regard. You will have more of an issue of the poor fish growing too big and being way too cramped for space.

I know you have good intentions but please don't put a fish in a tank for your own pleasure when the fish will suffer.

I suggest upgrading tanks if you are dead set on getting one of these.
Old 01/18/2007, 06:50 PM
Premium Member

I would have to agree with alzika. A coral beauty should have at least 30 gallons if not more with 3 other fish. But to answer your question about the cleaner shrimp, My coral beauty and shrimp are like best buddies. As far as the fish nipping at coral I have heard it is hit or miss, and depends on the fishs personality.
Old 01/18/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

I have a coral beauty in my 75gal and it swims the entire tank at a relatively high speed. I think it would feel cramped in a 20 long, let alone a 14. I would upgrade to a bigger tank or skip the CB.
Old 01/18/2007, 07:23 PM
Carpe Noctem

Please do not add any more fish to your tank! It's to small in my opinion for anything, especially a angel type fish! They are semi aggressive and with a tank that small, there will be quarreling... Save your cash for a 30 gallon or bigger... Please