Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/22/2007, 08:39 PM
Registered Member

Mag Pump Randomly Leaks?

Hello all,
I have a Mag 9.5 pump returning water from my sump to my display. This morning it started leaking for a reason that I can not figure out. I have not touched the pump in months (since the last cleaning), nor have I touched the plumbing. Does anyone have any ideas as to what may have caused this, or thoughts on what I can do to repair it? I am hesitant to open it up, I guess I dont want to make it worse.

Brett
Old 01/22/2007, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

You arent using it externally are you?.....
Old 01/22/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, and I have been for more than a year. Should I toss it in the sump?
Old 01/22/2007, 10:11 PM
Registered Member

You should never use a mag for external use........ some last longer than others, but from what Ive seen on here at RC, sooner or later they will burn out......I know Ive seen a warning about this somewhere, I just cant remember where. being that I like trying to save as much money as possible, I would try to fix it once more and throw it in the sump. HTH! : )
Old 01/22/2007, 10:13 PM
Registered Member

Just wait until it gets hot enough to melt down! I learned that one the hard way before there was the internet... I would never use a mg pump externally again...just me.

Oops, my Premium Membership ran out...
Old 01/22/2007, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Finally remember where I read that warning.....it was in a Marine Depot catalogue...... it might be easy to miss, but it gives the warning right in the Mag Drive section.......
Old 01/22/2007, 10:39 PM
Registered Member

Looks like Ill be re-doing some plumbing tomorrow. Do you think that it has been permanently damaged? I guess if it's leaking and its in the sump it wont make much difference will it?
Old 01/22/2007, 10:48 PM
Registered Member

Like I said, Im a money savin' man! lol! I'd try it out first, see if it works and go from there before spending 75 bucks on a new pump.......I dont think any leakage would do any harm if it is already submerged, but I could be wrong. HTH! : )
Old 01/22/2007, 11:30 PM
Registered Member

can you post where you saw the warning not to use a mag externally? it says on the box they are made to be run both in the water, or out.

i've been running two mag 12's externally for 3 years without a problem.
Old 01/22/2007, 11:33 PM
Registered Member

In my experience, the problem is that eventually they will leak externally , not that the pump is damaged,
Mike
Old 01/23/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kookerson
Finally remember where I read that warning.....it was in a Marine Depot catalogue...... it might be easy to miss, but it gives the warning right in the Mag Drive section.......
Old 01/23/2007, 09:54 AM
Premium Member

I had nothing but problems with Mag pumps... Would never use them again, and for sure not externally... Let see a mag pump for 75.00 or and external Iwaki for 235.00. I wonder which is better suited for long run performance. I find you get what you pay for. I would re-pump to sump or get new pump...
Old 01/23/2007, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

Yeah, in retrospect I probably wouldnt have gotten this pump to begin with. Just like I wouldnt have bought the protien skimmer I got... My excuse is that I was new to aquariums and I bought what the LFS owner suggested. He just happened to suggest what he had in stock of course. I know the reality is that I should have done more homework about what I was getting..... You know what they say about hind sight though.
Old 01/23/2007, 04:54 PM
master of junk mail

Sequence pumps for the money and efficiency are hard to beat.
Old 01/23/2007, 05:03 PM
Registered Member

I have run 2 mag 12's externally for more than a year each without problems, although there is still some salt creep around the bolts on the face plate. I had problems keeping the tank cool in summer with the pumps internally. I moved them out and the problem has gone away. There are more expensive/better pumps, but sometimes you have to do with what you have
Old 01/23/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ricks
I had nothing but problems with Mag pumps... Would never use them again, and for sure not externally... Let see a mag pump for 75.00 or and external Iwaki for 235.00. I wonder which is better suited for long run performance. I find you get what you pay for. I would re-pump to sump or get new pump...
Every time I hear about the performance of Mag pumps its either that they are awesome or they totally suck......I was actually gonna buy one this weekend, but I dont know now. It just seems that $235 for a return pump is ridiculous. I do believe that you get what you pay for ( in MOST cases), but just like the octopus skimmer, there's gotta be a cheaper alternative for a good bang.......... any suggestions?
Old 01/23/2007, 09:13 PM
Registered Member

Try the Gen-x if your looking for an external. I've heard good things about these and there moderately priced.
Old 01/23/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Im actually gonna need an internal pump, sorry , i shoulda been more specific..... thanks though!
Old 01/23/2007, 10:53 PM
Reefin' Ain't Easy!

Quote:
Originally posted by kookerson
Note: Mag-Drive pumps are not recommended for external use.
http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_...me.asp?CartId=
I would ditch the mag and get an Eheim, little more expensive, reliable, and has a 3 year warranty.
"All the clownfish and yellow tangs in the world can't help you now!" - Peter Griffin
Old 01/23/2007, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

All mags above a 1.5 have a 3 year warranty as well...
Old 01/24/2007, 03:50 PM
Registered Member

ive heard some good things about eheim and never any bad......Ill most likely go with them...