Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/01/2007, 04:52 PM
RC Sponsor

Oh a side note my girlfriend says the washing soda works really well on my work shirts : )
Old 04/01/2007, 05:40 PM
Older Than the Cretaceous

What I posted came from that website click on Questions and Comments.

I don't see it on the website anymore either

http://www.thelaundrybasket.com/Ques...per_washi.html

Bean

I can give (or you can find) dozens (hundreds?, thousands?) of examples of this.

That means the same could also happen with FMC 100 Look what has happen with Mag Flake and their new comments about use using it lately. Look what happen to me years ago, when I lost everything I owned due to a contaminated sea salt mix, heavily laced with ammonia, amines and organics, 100% loos.

I agree more testing is needed on the A & H The only thing that is really safe in this hobby is reagent or ACS grade.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 04/01/2007, 05:52 PM
Flea Slide

Boom I got a box like the one you pictured almost a year ago, after mixing it and smelling the perfume I quit and put it aside, I think I still have it but I can swear that unless my sinuses spawn flowers the darn thing really smells like y blankets after using Dawn in the dryer.
Old 04/01/2007, 05:53 PM
reefaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by Boomer

I agree more testing is needed on the A & H
Boomer - can you do any test on purity of A&H?

Visit our CTARS club website by clicking the 'red house' icon above :)
Old 04/01/2007, 05:58 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
Boom I got a box like the one you pictured almost a year ago, after mixing it and smelling the perfume I quit and put it aside, I think I still have it but I can swear that unless my sinuses spawn flowers the darn thing really smells like y blankets after using Dawn in the dryer.
just out of curiosity, does yours say 100% sodium carbonate on the box ?
Old 04/01/2007, 06:04 PM

Not any more, no equipment, I gave it all away 2 years ago.

Well jd, someone needs to get a couple of new boxes and test it and call the AH chem lab to see what is up. Maybe this week I'll call the lab I'm sure everyone and maybe they would like to know what is really going on with brown water and a perfume smell. To bad Aquatronics is no longer with us on these chem-sups. They use to sell a very high pure grade called "Buffex"

I'll be buying groceries tomorrow maybe I'll pick-up a box if they have it and I don't flippin' forget.

An explosion can be defined as a loud noise, accompanied by the sudden going away of things, from a place where they use to be.
Old 04/01/2007, 06:04 PM
Flea Slide

Yes it states 100% pure sodium carbonate. One snif and I can tell it is not pure. If that is what they intended then I could bet is contaminated on the manufacturing/packaging line.
Old 04/01/2007, 06:06 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Not any more, no equipment, I gave it all away 2 years ago.

Well jd, someone needs to get a couple of new boxes and test it and call the AH chem lab to see what is up. Maybe this week I'll call the lab I'm sure everyone and maybe they would like to know what is really going on with brown water and a perfume smell. To bad Aquatronics is no longer with us on these chem-sups. They use to sell a very high pure grade called "Buffex"
The issue is that whatever it is to smell like that it got to be organic so I am not sure if there is anything I can test with.
Old 04/01/2007, 06:07 PM

see edit

Maybe I'll go to the geology lab and run it through a XRD.

Old 04/01/2007, 06:13 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
I'll be buying groceries tomorrow maybe I'll pick-up a box if they have it and I don't flippin' forget.
I usually sneak whatever I need on my wife's shopping list and it apears like by magic
Old 04/01/2007, 06:17 PM

I have no wife so I'll have to tie a big blue ribbon around my neck. That way when I get funny looks I'll remember

Old 04/01/2007, 06:39 PM
Premium Member

snark... I still want a pile of it... I just don't have the time or extra cash this week. What size package did they send you and how much did it cost with shipping? I suppose I may end up just having to order it direct. (Maybe our club could go in on a few bags).

Bean
Old 04/01/2007, 06:46 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
What I posted came from that website click on Questions and Comments.

I don't see it on the website anymore either

http://www.thelaundrybasket.com/Ques...per_washi.html

Bean

I can give (or you can find) dozens (hundreds?, thousands?) of examples of this.

That means the same could also happen with FMC 100 Look what has happen with Mag Flake and their new comments about use using it lately. Look what happen to me years ago, when I lost everything I owned due to a contaminated sea salt mix, heavily laced with ammonia, amines and organics, 100% loos.

I agree more testing is needed on the A & H The only thing that is really safe in this hobby is reagent or ACS grade.
Ohh I agree... It could happen with ANYTHING. The further down the manufacturing, distribution or end product "line" you get, the greater the chances. We in the "reef" hobby are at the END of the line. Look at the "reef safe" crap that RIO and some other vendors are selling. They import a pump, call it reef safe and never look back. Meanwhile it is full of exposed metal and other bad products.

In this case, I see the FMC as being sold as "FOOD GRADE" to companies that produce FOOD products and therefore you would assume that more testing is done, as well as a tighter grip on source, handling, and chain of custody. The A&H product is NOT food grade (as far as I can tell) and therefore I would assume it is not handled nearly the same. My guess is that it is packaged with the same equipment as their laundry detergent Not on the same equipment as the baking soda. The baking soda is likely produced, packaged and handled in a much different way (and physical location). Just a guess.
Old 04/01/2007, 07:10 PM
RC Sponsor

the FMC is not food grade because the factory hasn't been certified as such but the product passes the food codex : )

gen chem makes the one that is food grade but they said it was stupid to buy it unless you use it in food and need the certification. the other versions are extremely pure. he even said their competitors product FMC is the exact same as theirs and both would be more than adequate for our purposes.
Old 04/01/2007, 07:12 PM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally posted by jdieck
Yes it states 100% pure sodium carbonate. One snif and I can tell it is not pure. If that is what they intended then I could bet is contaminated on the manufacturing/packaging line.
can you take a pic of where it says that . I'd like show what it now says in that same spot .
Old 04/01/2007, 10:20 PM
Flea Slide

Quote:
Originally posted by Snarkys
can you take a pic of where it says that . I'd like show what it now says in that same spot .
It is identical to the pic Boom posted in the previous page (Page6). On the top left corner of the front it has two pine trees inside a circle of letters that say:
Pure& Natural Since 1874 and:
100% Fragrance & Phosphate Free
Old 04/01/2007, 11:59 PM

Bean

GenChem has food grade if you wanted it but the smallest size is 50lb bags. The only real dif is no arsenic and the HM are slightly lower. The purity is only a couple 1/10's of a % higher.

http://www.genchem.com/technical-data.asp

Jd

While going back to look for a link I noticed you posted a flippin'Phase Diagram for Soda Ash That is a really cool page . Also look at the top of this page

http://www.genchem.com/properties.asp

Snarkys

On a long seach I found that AMSWS is 85 % soda ash and 15 % water. Something is very wrong there

It has a CAS: 000497-19-8 but one has to pay or have a special need to find out what is within the CAS # .
Old 04/02/2007, 12:21 AM
Flea Slide

I know.. that box is everywhere. BTW I still have the original box, still smells.
Old 04/02/2007, 12:26 AM

I wonder if their "ink", is getting sucked into the box ? Some inks smell sweet. I remember from when I was a kid, back in Jurassic times, and we had that purple ink on our hand-out papers, God it smelled good = CTC

Old 04/02/2007, 12:43 AM
Flea Slide

Quote:
I wonder if their "ink", is getting sucked into the box ? Some inks smell sweet. I remember from when I was a kid, back in Jurassic times, and we had that purple ink on our hand-out papers, God it smelled good = CTC
Well the contamination shall come from somewhere but I think if it is the ink them baking soda which as you know is good at absorbing all kind of oddors should smell like it too but I can't notice any smell on it when new. (The one from my fridge smells like a mix of tacos, pickled Jalapenos and leftover Chinese food thogh! )
Old 04/02/2007, 12:52 AM

Yah you may be right there. Ts was just a wild thought but then again BS has to be food grade at all times. I'm calling them tomorrow for sure.

Another maybe not so crazy thought. Bean kinda hit on it. What if that stuff is being boxed somewhere and is picking up laundry fumes some how ?

Last edited by Boomer; 04/02/2007 at 01:01 AM.
Old 04/02/2007, 01:11 AM
Flea Slide

It may even pick it at the supermarket, it is always sitting on the shelves next to all those detergent boxes
Old 04/02/2007, 05:09 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Bean

GenChem has food grade if you wanted it but the smallest size is 50lb bags. The only real dif is no arsenic and the HM are slightly lower. The purity is only a couple 1/10's of a % higher.

http://www.genchem.com/technical-data.asp

Ya , the only problem with that one is most places don't stock it so the chances of finding it locally in any market is very low. It would have to be a special order pallet from a local vendor or a truckload from genchem . The chances of finding the other grades is very high.
Old 04/02/2007, 05:13 AM
RC Sponsor

any theories on why it the A&H would take about ten times as long to settle the micro bubbles out VS the FMC ? 40 minutes VS almost 3-4?
Old 04/02/2007, 05:25 AM
RC Sponsor

Quote:
I was wondering if this is where the brown color might come from, particles of the brown cardboard breaking off inside the box.

Again this is just soap material so who knows how it was transported, stored or handled before packaging. There is a lot of room for contamination.