Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05/09/2007, 08:40 PM
Registered Member

Need Help ASAP!!!

Don't know what happened but my return pump quit working today so I replaced the with another Mag Drive 7. Shortly after replacing the pump I noticed the return chamber of the sump clouding up ( this is also where I dose Kalk in the evap water). The pH of the tank was also high at 8.8 and climbing. A short time later and the whole tank is cloudy and pH is 9.4 per pinpoint monitor.

So did I disturb enough of the crud( kalk sediment probably) in the return chamber when replacing the pump to raise the pH and start a snowstorm of Calcium?

This is only a 20 gal long SPS/clam tank. What can I do? Will I lose everything? Tank was doing well for the past 6 months.
Old 05/09/2007, 08:47 PM
RC Mod

Hmm, when the kalk is dosed, is it allowed to settle first, and does the dosing process let any solids get into the tank? If so, there might be some straight kalk in the return chamber, which could cause this issue.

I would disconnect the sump and clean the return chamber to remove any solids. Also, stop dosing kalk for the moment, and use some seltzer water to drop the pH, if it's still high. More aeration might be useful, too.
Old 05/09/2007, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

Most likely some kalk sediment is getting into the return during dosing.

I do not have any seltzer water to lower pH, any other safe ways to lower pH?

What will be the outcome of this? Will the water clear eventually?
Old 05/09/2007, 09:30 PM
Flea Slide

The skimmer will help remove some of the suspended solids, the rest will settle. You can use a little bit of vinegar to lower the PH. try 1/2 to 1 teaspoon and see how it goes.
IMO when you were in the process of relacing the pump, Kalk mighe have been overdosed.
Old 05/09/2007, 09:40 PM
RC Mod

Vinegar has been known to drive bacterial blooms, which can reduce oxygen in the tank to dangerous levels. I'd be very careful with dosing vinegar.
Old 05/10/2007, 05:30 AM
Registered Member

Yeah I figured I had my head up my #*s when I replaced the pump. I was so excited about having a pump again that when I changed some water I had left the evap/kalk pump on and it was pumping away.

I changed out approx 8 gallons of water ( premixed catalina ocean) last night.

Salinity was 1.026 and pH was at 8.7 after water change.

This morning the pH is at 8.0 and water has cleared. My SPS frags were sliming a bit last night but seem fine this morning. Urchin, hermits, shrimp, fish seem fine, feather duster looks Ok so time will tell over the next few days.

Also my Tunze nano skimmer pump has quit working, unbelievable this has happened twice in last month and it is only 6 months old. Any rec on a small in sump skimmer?
Old 05/10/2007, 08:19 AM
Flea Slide

Check your Calcium and Alkalinity. Precipitation events like this one can deplete them below normal levels.
The tunze pumps run a bit hot so they tend to precipitate carbonate in the impeller rotor area and with their close tolerances they get stuck very easy, you will have to disassemble it and use vinegar to clean it.
I'm not familiar with small in sump skimmers so lets see if someone can answer that one for your.