Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

Sump Return Pump Question

What do you recommend for a return pump from my sump to my display? I have a 75 gallon reef ready AGA and a 20 long for a sump.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:16 PM
Registered Member

A mag drive or a rio or other various pumps you can find on line. You need to know what the flow rate of the overflow. Then you can decide on what pump to use.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:27 PM
Registered Member

The max flow rate on my tank is 600 gallons per hour.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

most likely need a mag 9.5 to move it up and have possible multiple returns into tank and back into fuge. It still may be too much getting pumped up, but you can throttle that down with a ball valve or increase flow back into the fuge/sump.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

i had a mag7 on my 90 and it was a litlle slow imo. i think the mag 7 would be perfect for that set-up. also if you go with a bigger pumplike the mag 9.5 and throttle it down you miles well just throw it out when you buy it. DO NOT THROTTLE A PUMP DOWN. also if you get the mag 7 read the instructions on what size pump to use for your return..i have a mag9.5 and the instructions say for maximum flow i have to go with a 1 1/2in. pipe. so im thinking you will have to go with a 1 in. pipe i think.
Old 01/07/2008, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

I know people who throttle pumps back and they last for many many years and I am not suggestion that there be just one line of piping throttled back and going to the main display, have multiple lines going to other places, like to another part of tank, back into fuge/sump so that it is actually pushing the water it is supposed to just in different areas.