Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 09:20 PM
Registered Member

New and need some help please....

We have a 29 gallon Biocube and we are totally new to this hobby.
We are in the process of cycling the tank.

Right now we are finding that if we fill the main tank with enough water for the min/max to be happy (in the filter section), then water cascades from the main tank into the whole filter section rather than going through the carbon filter first....what should we do about that? Do we worry about it even?

Also, the water temp seems to really fluctuate even if we hold the heater temp constant. Is that normal? Would the lights on the tank affect the temp?

Thanks for any help!!

Amber
Old 12/17/2007, 09:26 PM
Registered Member

what is the temp readings?
Old 12/17/2007, 09:31 PM
RC Mod

[welcome]

I don't know enough about the BioCube setup to help with your first problem.

The lights will heat the tank and often cause the temperature to rise. What's the daily low?
Old 12/17/2007, 09:33 PM
Premium Member

I'm not sure about the water question. I've never used a filter like that. But someone else will be able to help you. The water temp shouldn't fluctuate that much. What is the temperature and how much is it fluctuating. The lighting, if intense enough, can raise the temp quite a bit. My lights will raise the tank 4 degrees no problem. If I were you I would be keeping the temp between 77-82. If the lights are heating the tank too much, use fans to blow across the water surface. If it is getting too cold, I would make sure your heater is working and large enough for the tank.
Old 12/17/2007, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

A photo would help,temp for a29 Gal,you need to go forum jump then nano reefs and ask the ?
Old 12/17/2007, 09:37 PM
Registered Member

The temp is 79.9 right now, so I guess that is OK. How much can it fluctuate - so long as it stays within77-82 there shouldn't be a problem then?
Old 12/17/2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

I'm running a BioCube 29 now. Here is some info...I keep my water level slightly above the maximum line. As for any overflow into the rear chambers, that's no problem at all and won't cause any problems.

With the temp in mind, my temp ranges from approx 78.4 to 80.1 depending on what time of day it is and how long my lights are on for. I have a small heater hooked up, which I leave set to 78. I'm letting my white lights run for 12 hours.

I hope this helps.
Indigo Dotty/tr
2 button polyp
gsp
candy cane
zoa
ricordia rock
open brain
5 turbos
5 hermits
30 lb ls / 27lb lr
Old 12/17/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

That's pretty much correct.

I have a 29 gallon myself and just adjusted the temperature to a base of 79.0 degrees. The temperatures will vary throughout the day from 78.2 to 80.7 depending on the lighting.

If you look a few days back you might be able to find my thread about Temperature Adjustment under the "New Hobby" Category
Old 12/17/2007, 11:41 PM
RC Mod

The base temperature in my systems is around 82 F. It can rise to about 84 F, and I see no problems.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:02 AM
Registered Member

Ok, thanks - these responses help a lot!!