Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/18/2007, 12:41 PM
Team RC Member

posts that make us tear our hair---

...mind, I am giving you all the info us wanna-be-helpful-guys are given in the post. And I am strongly paraphrasing to protect the guilty. Luv u guys, but PLEASE, right now, before you do anything else, fill in the personal information in your Personal Profile.
Note mine: I tell you my tank size, equipment, fish list, everything but the chemistry, and since that changes day to day, I test that right before I ask for help, and include it in the post. 'My params are OK' isn't near enough info. You can abbreviate. G for gallon, T5 or mh for lights, etc.

1. I have this brown stuff. What is it? [no other info]

2. my fish disappeared. Do I move the rocks? [40g, FOWLR]

3. my fish are fighting. Help! [no other info.]

4. my tang has spots. [34g]

5. I have a 40g. how much calcium do I add? [total post]

6. can I have a mandarin? I have pods. [total post]

7. help! I have a big worm in my tank. [75g, T5 no pic] [note: the worm turns out to be 5" long. This is far from a record.]

8. my water is cloudy. What do I do? [29g, age not stated, tank history not given, chemistry not given.]

9. Is a crab safe in my tank? [40g, no pix, no info as to whether we WISH the crab to be safe in this tank, or whether we wish the tank as a whole to be safe from the crab.]

10. my fish won't eat. ['new to the hobby.' 2 weeks.]

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:46 PM
Team RC Member

I knew it was just a matter of time sk8r, lol. Good thread though

Sk8r shows a perfect example of how the Hobby experience and current tank options should be filled out. Lists most the pertinant information for most question. And you don't HAVE to have all that, but it really does help us when trying to answer a question in a timely fashion. If you don't list all that, be sure to remember to post any and all info you can think of that may help in the post itself. IMO, listing too much info is better than not enough. You'd be surprised some of the things we can figure out just by seeing equpiment listings and tank specs.

Click on my homepage to be taken to my RC Blog!
Old 12/18/2007, 12:49 PM
Registered Member

I know I'm guilty of one of the above. I will include all the information listed above for all future questions.

Thank you for all your endless patience and experience, Sk8r. Without you my tank would probably be lost right now.
Old 12/18/2007, 12:52 PM
Premium Member

we should also have a sticky at the top of the page for ID's, like CHECK HERE FIRST FOR ID'S, then have a whole bunch of links to popular id pages like melevs,

also in the selling forums when there is no location in the thread title or post, drives me crazy
Old 12/18/2007, 01:00 PM
Team RC Member

Lol, bless you, FragMan, you were NOT one of the offenders. And I know well...when you're absolutely frazzled and trying to report fast to get help, you can drop some stitches when it comes to providing info [nicely filled out CURRENT TANKS line, btw].

That's WHY I so strongly urge you do that fillout now, friends, so when it is a screaming emergency and you ask for help, you don't have to remember every relevant thing. Besides---if you're a newbie, how are you going to know, especially under stress, what might be relevant?

Do include in your help-me post---any action you took recently. "I just cleaned my sand" is real valuable info in the #8 instance, and would get a: "Quick, get your fish to quarantine!" response out of me.

The object of the game is to front-load your sig with info that will help us give good advice. And don't forget to change it as your tank changes. Or as you change. My first questions to somebody who says "2 weeks experience" are going to be much different if the sig line says, "9 months". In the first instance---likely still setup issues, most of which will cure themselves. In the second, that tank's lived this far---it could be cumulative problems, expiring lights, or some incident we need to dig deeper for.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:01 PM
Registered Member

Good one SK8r.lol

You know you're in for a long thread when it begins.

"The person at the fish store said it's ok if....".
Old 12/18/2007, 01:25 PM
Premium Member

whoa, i was worried mine were going to in mentioned, bullet dodged..
Old 12/18/2007, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

Updated My Info.

Can't get much more detailed.
Old 12/18/2007, 01:33 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
you missed my favorite...

all my water parameters are good,(not test results given) what's wrong?
Old 12/18/2007, 01:42 PM
Send money....

I like what I personally call the "Bigfoot" or "Lock Ness Monster" syndrome. All pictures with a request for an ID must be as blurry and poorly lit as possible. It seems as though all the pics of bigfoot or nessie are the same way. Unknown objects just want to remain that way.

Happy Holidays
Old 12/18/2007, 02:38 PM
Premium Member

ha. That's pretty funny. I have definitely seen some bad pics on here.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:04 PM
Premium Member

Im guilty of at least one. But the most favorite one is "Id Help, but no pic" I lov this one. Makes me feel like Im playing sherades( Spelled wrong)
Old 12/18/2007, 03:40 PM
Registered Member

Sorry guys new to this. new to computers also. alot of things i just dont understand Ill back off sorry again Thanks anyway.
Old 12/18/2007, 03:49 PM
Team RC Member

Vito, you are perfectly welcome: just DO include some lighting/pump/stocking info in that Current Tanks line.

Old 12/18/2007, 06:12 PM
Registered Member

ooo, you just gave me some good ideas for my next post
Old 12/18/2007, 06:32 PM
Registered Member

Guilty of not updating my equipment and experience Ill get on that right away. I know as a newcomer to the hobby its a little mind boggling to get it all right the first time. At first alot of the equipment i had no idea what it was or did. Just knew i needed it. So i didnt list any of it at first. Still remembering the first time i tired to figure out what vho, actinics, mh, pc's , sumps and pumps and powerheads were..lol. But dont worry newbies you will eventually understand the abreviations and it wont be so scary anymore. But i think that maybe make a sticky as a reminder about listing equipment in the newbie forum would be good with maybe a link to the abreviations too.
Old 12/18/2007, 07:29 PM
Premium Member

The one that REALLY gets under my skin is:

"I just bought a ___ , now all my fish have white spots"

Did the person quarantine, and if so, did they QT for long enough?
How large/crowded is the tank?
What are the water conditions?
What are the fish being fed?
Does this person have the facilities available (or are they willing to purchase a few things) to set up a QT so they can remove and treat the fish?

Replying to threads like this one make me feel like I'm banging my head against a wall - they usually end in a debate between the hypo/copper folks, and those who believe ich can be treated with garlic or reef-safe 'meds'.
Old 12/18/2007, 07:31 PM
Premium Member

Another that drives me batty:

"Which is better, MH or T5s?" (no information on livestock, tank size, colour preferences, possible heat or energy consumption issues, budget or anything else included)
Old 12/18/2007, 07:35 PM
Registered Member

Am I over stocked?
You state "yes" and they cop an attitude.

I think the search button should be requirement before posting, but if that was the case. Half the post would not be here.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:01 PM
This Space for Rent

Location: Sitting on a park bench...eyeing college girls with bad intent.
Quote:
The one that REALLY gets under my skin is:

"I just bought a ___ , now all my fish have white spots"
Or...

"i just bought a ___, what do I need to do to care for it?"

what do you need to do? how about a little research before you buy it.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:49 PM
Registered Member

i think thats what were here for some of us dont have 20 YEARS experience like you. so for us that are not sure we look to ask you the master,to teach and lecture us students.
Old 12/18/2007, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

oh even if the answers are stupid you still answer them LOL..........
Old 12/18/2007, 08:51 PM
Premium Member

This is a hard one,I am shure most or toblame at first.
Old 12/18/2007, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the post, updated my sig, tank description needs more space )