Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/02/2008, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

Question for Lionfish owners

I have a V. Lionfish. Had him for about 6-7 months. Was eating frozen from the LFS. Would feed him frozen krill, fresh squid, shrimp, he would eat from my hand. Was a pig and would always be waiting for me when I walked to the fridge. Now it as been probably 6 weeks since I saw him eat last. I bought a goldfish feeder for him to eat and he would come up to it but never ate it. I have obseved him daily and he is not getting skinny. About 3 weeks ago I bought 11 chromis to help bring out my other 2 fish that hang out in the back, this has worked in bringing them out, and I am down to 6 chromis. My thoughts are he just decided to quit eating frozen and wanted live yet I have never seen him eat a live fish. His eyes are clear and his belly is nice and round. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Here is a pic from last night of him.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:21 PM
Registered Member

Had simalar problem with mine . I talked to a couple friends & they said i was over feeding &he might have a stomach ulser . 3 weeks went bye and hes back to normal i only feed 2 times a week now . maybe thats what yours had? Hope i helped .
Old 01/03/2008, 01:54 AM
Registered Member

I would not give a lionfish live feeders- ie// parasites and diseases that they carry....you can cause problems by overfeeding lions to in which there stomachs become to bloated and they can get "constipated" and not eat for awhile
Old 01/03/2008, 10:01 AM
Registered Member

Had the same problem with mine. Went from eating ANYTHING to nothing for over a month. I used feeders once to get him going again and he went right back to eatting frozen again and has not lost his appetite since. Just give it time, he will eat when he's ready. Be patient, sounds like you are trying the right things.
Old 01/03/2008, 12:14 PM
10 & Over Club

"I am down to 6 chromis."

"his belly is nice and round"

Sounds like he's been eating well

I wouldn't worry about till a week or two after the last of the chromis have disappeared.

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)