Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/16/2007, 01:34 PM
Registered Member

Best place to buy Mantis, online?

ANyone, tell any experiences.
Old 12/16/2007, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

check out tampabaysaltwater.com. TBS ships great and the mantids they sell are almost bulletproof as far as hardiness goes. the nice thing is that they only ever get one species of mantis (N. wennerae) so you can be sure of what you get (unlike most other sites). it isnt inconceivable that they might send you a different mantis like N. curacaoensis, but that would be a bonus (a rare, highly sought mantis).

if you're looking for more choice, www.stomatopod.com is worth a look. they correctly ID their mantids and cater towards mantis lovers.
Old 12/16/2007, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Stomatopod.com is def. a good place, but the stock is low on most things ATM. Expecting it to build up pretty fast though. They are the only place I know carrying O. latirostris ATM. And they have a sale on 3"+ peacocks.
sealifeinc.net sells O. havenensis and is pretty good.
tampabaysaltwater.com sells N. wennerae like justin said.

Dan

"Sanity? What would I do with something as useless as that?"
-Kennpachi
Old 12/16/2007, 02:33 PM
Registered Member

anyone know any online places that will ship to canada?
Old 12/16/2007, 03:19 PM
Registered Member

where in canada are you? i dont think it's worth it to ship cross the border. if you're in western canada, try J&L aquatics, ocean aquatics or hidden reef. those are the top 3 stores in BC and are great for shipping. i got my mantids from j&l and hidden reef.
Old 12/16/2007, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

Thanks alot, im in ontario, but I will look into it J&L never has mantis in when I check
Old 12/16/2007, 03:42 PM
Registered Member

Also do these other 2 place have websites?
Old 12/16/2007, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

www.stomatopod.com just got a new shipment in yesterday, and have all the Desirable species that I would personally highly recommend from past experience! Billy the owner is very nice, and will certaintly make sure you will be pleased with your purchase! They are the only supplier I know of that has a dedicatd supply of Peacocks along with a variety of other species that are ID'd PROPERLY!! A+++++
Old 12/16/2007, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

Also, if you are looking for a small mantis for say a nano cube, the O havanensis is a great little guy, I have purchased two from Sealifeinc.net, and have had a wonderful experience with them. Not to mention they have great prices on beautiful Rics and a variety of florida life stock. I have ordered a mantis from Tampa bay saltwater (TBS) and the wennera's are nice too, and highly polymorphic in color so you always get a surprise in that regard!