Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/12/2007, 05:52 PM
Premium Member

Current Mantis Shrimps for sale in Portland, OR

Hey folks.

For all you Pacific Northwesterners out there, there's a 3" L. maculata at Caye's Pets right now for $39.99. They're on 137th and Division.

Out at Waves (15844 Upper Boones Ferry Road) there is a 5" female O. scyllarus for $35 and a 3" green N. wennerae for $30. If I knew for a fact that the wennerae wouldn't eat my scooter blennies I'd put it in my refugium..

Saltwater Fanta-Seas on 106th and Sandy gets G. chiragra in occasionally, and apparently their wholesalers call them Peacocks. *raises eyebrow*

I'm holding out for a 1-3" male Peacock. Think I'll find one?

-Paul
Old 08/14/2007, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

1-3" peacock? doubtful, Thats on the really young side... but depends on where u order it from...I would guess closer to 4"...at least in my experience..
Old 08/15/2007, 01:32 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by rwhhunt
1-3" peacock? doubtful, Thats on the really young side... but depends on where u order it from...I would guess closer to 4"...at least in my experience..
That's been my experience, too though. But the strangest thing happened within 24 hours of me writing this message...

I got an email from Blue Zoo saying my item was in stock. What was that item, you ask? A 1-1.5" peacock! Seems to rarely come up in the trade...

I about keeled over.

Thursday I should be receiving it. I'll post pics after it's settled; I asked for a male...

-Paul
Old 08/18/2007, 01:59 AM
Registered Member

I live in northern Mass. I bought a G. Chiragra from a LFS here who sold it to me as a peacock becuase he orderd a Peacock Mantis from his wholesaler after doing my research I found out that I was duked and asked him to order another but told him what to look for in a Peacock mantis so he orderd three more and got three G. Platysomas! He thought he had peacocks untill I came in and seen them. He wont listen and is letting himself and me down by dealing with the same distrib. when trying to get a Peacock mantis!
Old 08/18/2007, 09:11 AM
Registered Member

Do you want to get rid of your G. Platysomas. I have a javanese damsel and a bunch of blue leg hermits around 30 to 40 if interested in a trade otherwise how much are you willing to sell it for.
Old 08/18/2007, 12:59 PM
Registered Member

I never bought them from the LFS becuase they were not Peacocks, You can find them at Jay's Aquadics in Salem, NH. I dont beleave he will ship though and they where $40!
Old 08/18/2007, 04:34 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by deepboy
I dont beleave he will ship though and they where $40!
OUCH. That's when you get a business license for "tank maintainance and get a wholesale account.

-Paul
Old 08/18/2007, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

I know I've been saying for sometime now I wish I would win the lottery, Opening my own place would be the first on my list, There is one LFS in south Boston that is running a monopoly with is high prices!
Old 08/18/2007, 06:09 PM
Premium Member

Well, there ya go then!

Give the ol' tightwad a run for his money!

An aquarium shop just went up for sale here in Portland for 20k. He's got some decent set-ups and selection. If I had the money I would TOTALLY jump on it. My old bosses would probably throw curses left and right at me though. heh.

-Paul