Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > SCUBA/Snorkeling

Old 08/12/2007, 01:41 PM
Registered Member

Right now i'm in IslaMorada, Florida, and was wondering if anyone knew any places where it was legal to collect inverts, and such. I have a permit, and have checked the laws, (No marine sanctuarys). Outside of my house I've collected some snails, (could be whelks gotta check) and some blue legged hermits.
Oh yeah, I'm not dive certified, but would love to take some stuff home. I am a strong swimmer with a good lung capacity (~2 minutes under while swimming around) Any place would be great.
Thanks a lot
Old 08/12/2007, 10:26 PM
Slowly growing gills.

Well for some reason the e-mails are being returned undeliverable. DNS isnt recieving them. I think there is a technical problem, so the e-mail I posted isnt working right now. I might have to try calling them or just using snail mail.
Old 08/14/2007, 04:46 PM
Registered Member

the exp if you are still there check this out > http://myfwc.com/marine/recreational/recharvestmls.htm
Old 08/14/2007, 04:48 PM
Registered Member

hey airinhere,
question about those hydor koralias...how do you like em and what number and how many would you put on a 46 gal bowfront?
Old 08/15/2007, 12:53 AM
Slowly growing gills.

Not to drift away from the topic, but I love the Hydors.

For a 46 bow I think you would be best with either a pair of #2 or maybe a #2 and a #3.

That would put you at 26X or 31X flow in your tank not counting your return pump.

I have 26X in my 90 with another 6X from my return pump.

That is just about as much flow as my LPS and softies can take, although I could easily add another pair of #4 if I were to go with all SPS and barebottom.

And thanks for the link to the Fl regs. Although I now need to find the Solomon Islands regs. Anyone have a link?
Old 08/21/2007, 08:26 PM
Registered Member

cutnup, is there a site that lists all the diferent state regulations like that one?
Old 08/22/2007, 03:14 AM
Slowly growing gills.

You should just have to look up your state DFG office. There should be some permit or license for marine ornamentals. Here in Ca, the only one available is for commercial uses, and I am getting the common reply that you can collect what you like as long as you are not collecting in a controlled area.

I have recieved the "safe" answer that I should consider obtaining a marine ornamental licence (commercial). This would allow me and up to 5 people (I think the number is right), to collect. But that is around $300 and I dont believe it is appropriate for personal collection.

And I am still trying to reach the Solomon Islands. Just been preocupied recently.
Old 08/22/2007, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Maybe this page can help you reach someone at the Solomon Islands.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_1021.html

Or maybe these.

http://www.pmc.gov.sb/?q=node/490
http://www.paclii.org/
Old 08/22/2007, 05:42 PM
Registered Member

cant seem to find anything like that for south carolina my luck isnt too good lol
Old 08/22/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

what would you collect in no.carolina? air, no complaints in their size?
Old 08/22/2007, 10:56 PM
Registered Member

nice snails and other little critters at the NC beaches.
Old 08/23/2007, 05:26 PM
Slowly growing gills.

Talon, the second link is the one I have been going to in my attempts to contact the Solomon Islands Government. So far all mail has been returned with an obscure DNS error with it. I think their website has been experiencing technical difficulties. The third link has lots of legal stuff on it, but I am going to have to wade through alot of stuff. I am hoping to reach someone there, it will make the process much easier.

cutnup, there are all sorts of things that make it into northern waters during the summer. New York gets seahorses and lionfish (among other things) pretty often. Odds are that there arent any laws regarding these organisms since they arent native and are jsut seasonally available. Plus they will die when the water cools down durning the winter.

And about the size of the Hydors, I think they look neat for one, and are smaller than a Seio for another. I admit the #1's in my 55 gal tank are pretty useless, but the #4 and #3 models I have are awesome. My only problem with them is that they really create too much flow for my LPS and ricordea, so I have to carefully aim them so I dont blow stuff around in my tanks. I would recommend them to anyone.
Old 08/24/2007, 01:49 AM
Registered Member

Make sure you check with the Airline you will be travelling on too.

Salt Water (even in closed containers) is not allowed on most aircraft as its extrememly corrosive.
Old 08/24/2007, 02:15 AM
Slowly growing gills.

I know Southwest allows it on their flights, their the one used by most of the LA shippers to distribute corals and fish all around the states. But I also need to find out the amount of boxes I could bring home with me on a Quantas air flight. (I figure thats who I will likely be flying with.)
Old 08/29/2007, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

any updates?
Old 08/29/2007, 05:28 PM
Registered Member

cutnip, in south carolina, about 2-3 miles off shore there is some nice shipwrecks and reefs that i go to a few times a year, to fish and scubadive. some pretty nice stuff there last time i was there
Old 08/30/2007, 01:25 AM
Slowly growing gills.

Nothing yet, I have recently taken a job working at a local dive shop, so I havent had the inclination to do much follow up. On a positive note, now I am preparing to start diving on a regular basis since I get free rentals of scuba gear.

Of course the guy getting attacked by a shark at Monterey is throwing a wrench in my plans to go diving there this weekend. Thats where I intended to go diving.

One guy gets eaten and suddenly "scuba diving is dangerous".

He was surfing
The shark was only about twenty feet long.

Hope hes okay.

Scary.
Old 09/01/2007, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

the reason the shark attacked him, from what i have read, watched, and personal exp over the years, is because surfers look like big seals from the underside and that is their "treat" or main meals usually.
i am a scuba diver and have swimmed with tons of very large sharks with only a bull shark in the bahamas getting frisky enough to "try" to attack. he was mainly curious as to what we was and what we were doing.
some of the sharks we have dove with have been 25 foot+ hammerheads, blacktips,white tips, tiger sharks, and very very large nurse sharks
those "documentaries" on discovery channel doesnt show you what they have to do to get the sharks into a mad feeding frenzy, and they know people dont want to sit there for an hour or 2 watching sharks the way the are 99% of the time in the wild. the are very docile gentle giants for the most part
Old 09/02/2007, 07:45 PM
Slowly growing gills.

You know that, I know that, my family is not so certain. I live very close to my folks house and see them often, they were not too sure they wanted me going swimming with a killer shark.

Not that it mattered, I ended up working and cleaniong my garage this weekend.

I always tell people I am not afrraid of any sharks, fish or any large predators in the water. What really concerns me is the stinging stuff. Fire coral, stonefish, jellyfish. Poison can mess you up fast and you usually never see it coming.

At least with a big predator, you can try to fight it off.

Besides, very little in the ocean has developed the taste for humans as food. So if you get bitten; either you are violating their territory, personal space or they are just investigating what you are.

Anything thats big enough to eat people without discrimination, your 'pooched' anyways.
Old 09/20/2007, 09:19 PM
Registered Member

Where in SC

Quote:
Originally posted by aceheart1976
cutnip, in south carolina, about 2-3 miles off shore there is some nice shipwrecks and reefs that i go to a few times a year, to fish and scubadive. some pretty nice stuff there last time i was there
Where in SC are you diving? We live in SC, but usually travel to FL as the water is warmer and the reefs are not so far out. I'd like to try collecting a little closer to home. Thanks for any info. MK
Old 09/20/2007, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

i usually go to beaufort/huntington island. havnt been in about 3 years though what part of sc you in?
Old 09/25/2007, 09:38 AM
Registered Member

In Hawaii, you can get a permit that will allow you to collect aquarium specimens. The permit is free, they do it to make room for fish in their marine sanctuaries to have a place to move to when things get overpopulated in the sanctuary.
Old 09/28/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

From what I understand you cannot ever take any stony corals from FL reefs, and need permits to take softies. There is a dive company in the Keys that allows you to collect reef fish, they have the permits, but I dont know about rics and what not. I will see if I can find their info.
Old 09/28/2007, 03:35 PM
Registered Member

with what i have read, in Fl all you need is a residence fishing license to take fish/corals. if you find out anything different please let us know something
Old 10/01/2007, 11:54 PM
Registered Member

It is illegal in FL to take any corals or liverock without a proper permit, and from what I understand they are not issuing new permits. Some people have old permits that are still legal. The only exception I know of is those who are granted permits for educational and research purposes. Personally, I am glad the state strictly regulates such practices, our reefs here need some time to recover. However, if conditions do not improve, I would support the collection of local corals to preserve them in private aquaria and hopefully reintroduce them when the environment could sustain them. I talked with someone who works with the state of Florida's aquaculture program about getting permits to collect coral, grow it out, and replant them in new/other areas where they are depleted or gone. I was told that I was not the first to come up with this idea, but it would be unlikely that anyone other than those from a research or educational institute would be granted such.