Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Soft Coral Keepers
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/08/2007, 09:40 AM
Registered Member

Looked at the cesps today to see if they did their pulsing thing or if I was dreaming and yep the larger colony did it again.

phillip -can't wait to see more pics of the blue pulsing xenia.
Old 08/10/2007, 12:36 AM
Registered Member

Hey mikekman, my Cesp. that i thought died, well i just found a couple small stalk's of it !!!!
Old 08/10/2007, 12:41 AM
Registered Member

humanremainz, good stuff! Even a tiny bit of flesh can regrow back.

I noticed one of my cesp like last week had moved onto a piece of rock. Well I cut a piece of the flesh that had attached to the other rock. The frag was like the size of a pencil eraser so it was small! Well, that frag is growing slowly and I see a few tiny stalks.
Old 08/10/2007, 12:56 AM
Registered Member

Mine grows way fast. I heard people say this isn't a fast grower but I sure think it is. Maybe all my other corals are just slow growers so I look at how fast this grows and I'm amazed. I don't know if I will be able to sell my Cesp locally so I might just sell some frags on here. That or trade it to my LFS but I think I would get more here and it would be cash instead of credit. Don't really know how to ship though.
Old 08/10/2007, 02:09 AM
Registered Member

Echidna, how come you don't want to sell locally? Not enough reefers or ?

I've heard cesp is very sensitive, so if something is off in your tank, bam it could all die on you.
Old 08/10/2007, 02:20 AM
Registered Member

it is a fast grower, the wild cesp. i got is at least 2 times bigger than when i 1st got it. It was considered a bad shipper, just like Xenia, but when it is done correctly(by the coral exporter), well you all see what has been coming in , and we all have what use to be considered an almost impossible coral to keep, thriving and growing.....hey mikekmani finally got a camera, and hopefully i will be able to take some pics of some of that "unusual stuff" i told you about..
Old 08/10/2007, 10:17 AM
Moved On

blue cesp

Okay, Mikekman its been about 3 weeks and I finally have some pics worth posting. I haven't figured out how to turn on the flash when in macro, but you can still see the colors well. Its colored up a lot in the past few weeks.

I have both colonies under 1: 400w 14K HQI and med/hi flow.

Are there two types? Because even though the polyps on mine have become much longer, I doubt they are ever going to get furry like some others I see on this thread.

Cheers,
Morgan

Old 08/10/2007, 11:25 AM
Registered Member

Flamehawk, there definitely are different localities. In fact if you go back, someone posted a link to a site with a BUNCH of cespitularia pics and some of them look different and have different colors.

The cesp I have looks far different than yours. It seems like on yours, the polyps doesn't open up fully like mine and look furry. Mine are open all the time and when they are closed, they don't look anything like yours does.

When you compare your cesp to a pom pom xenia........it looks completely different because of the thin stalks and all. If I was to compare mine to a pom pom xenia, they kind of look alike, only differences is the glitters. When mine get irritated and close up, it closes up like a xenia.

If you were to just look at yours with the naked eye, can you see glitters? With mine, the glitters show up really noticeably. If my lights are off and I have the room light on near the tank I can still see the glitters. I attached some pics for you to see.........you can definitely tell that mine and yours are very different cesps.

Here are pics of mine:

Old 08/10/2007, 01:38 PM
Registered Member

Flamehawk - Yours looks just like mine. The polyps will keep getting bigger, but I don't know if they will look like Mike's any time soon.

mike- The only reefers I know are the ones at my fish shop, and the one that was going to buy it doesn't water to pay they price for it. I don't really wanna trade it in because I need cash a lot more than credit and it's just livestock credit anyway and I am almost done with my tank, I just want some acros that we don't sell.
Old 08/10/2007, 08:15 PM
Registered Member

Echidna, thats too bad your gonna sell your cesp. I think they are better than the boring rhizo you are getting haha

Definitely my cesp it much different than yours or flamehawks.

I can't wait to see the blue pulsing xenia that phillip said he would take pics of.
Old 08/10/2007, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

Mike- Right now it seems like I may just sell some frags and try to keep the cesp. I just have to make sure it will fit in the spot that I want it to.
Old 08/11/2007, 07:12 AM
Coral Farmer

The Pics did not turn out the best but here are some more pics.

Old 08/11/2007, 07:13 AM
Coral Farmer

Do you see my buddie in the last pic?
Old 08/11/2007, 09:27 AM
Registered Member

Phillip, the blue pulsing xenia looks cool. Does it really look blue like your cesp or more of a silverish tealish light blue?

What buddy are you talking about? Didn't see anything.
Old 08/11/2007, 04:40 PM
Coral Farmer

My buddy is the xenia crab, he is hard to make out but is on the right, under the xenia with the white and tan.

As far as the color it is a baby blue, with a purple stock.
Old 08/11/2007, 07:23 PM
Registered Member

Hey Phillip, still can't see the crab. Maybe you will have to put a circle around were the crab is!

The blue pulsing xenia looks great and is a cool item.
Old 08/12/2007, 07:31 PM
Registered Member

Well my friend turned me onto this thread, so I thought I would play along. I grabbed a frag of Cespit. from Workin4frags. Its AMAZING, and since he is somewhat local I got it withought worring about shipping. It seems to be doing really well, and while I had it in a nice open area I have moved it against another rock. I heard that the "snorks" that grow off the side is the way it spreads and must be against something to continue growth. Mine is under a 70w halide 14k about 12 inches from the light and attached to LR rubble. It opened in under an hour being placed in my 18gallon ADA. Here are pics, kinda in order from entry into my tank. Oh and mine does pulse, its not regular but really random and not very often. I notice it seems to pulse a few times when lights go off. Very weird. I really love this stuff, its amazing.

Philip Root, I dont care what kind of Xenia that is but its beautiful, I want some!

And of course the coolest pic with flash:

Last edited by Helfrich’s Chic; 08/12/2007 at 07:39 PM.
Old 08/12/2007, 07:38 PM
Registered Member

helfrich chick, glad you stopped on by and showed pics of your blue cesp. I'm the one that sent you the link here from nano reef. Thanks for answering my question on the pm too.

Awesome cesp you got from workn4frags, I can't wait to get some new phoenix 14k bulbs and see how mine look under it!

If you put the cesp near another rock, it can climb onto the rock. Takes a few days to a week but in the end it will have moved from one rock to another. You could always let a piece of its body attach to another rock and then get a razor blade and do a clean cut and get yourself a second frag!
Old 08/12/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Hey thanks Mike!!! I am thinking if I can provide all the requirements for it and get good growth I will do a 10gallon maybe 20gallon species tank in my PROP room at my house, with only this coral. I would like to get diffrent varieties of it, I think that would be stunning an a tank. I am seriously in love with this stuff. I didnt realize that they seem to like to spread from the sides, weird, but I think it might attach pretty quick since the little tubes I call them "snorks" have doubled in length in 1 week. I hope I got the touch with this stuff!!!
Old 08/12/2007, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

It is an amazing coral! The first time I saw a cesp, I knew I had to try and obtain one! The glitters on the coral is what makes it so cool and amazing!

Try taking some pics of the cesp at night with no lights and just use the cameras flash at the macro setting. You will get some crazy glitter shots!

Looking forward to more showing off pics Of course I will be doing the same too
Old 08/13/2007, 07:53 AM
Moved On

Hey all,
just checking back to see more pics because I'm a terrible photog, Flamehawk and Echidna you must have the recently brought in stuff from indo. I remember about 10yrs ago thats how it was coming in, it was a very poor shipper than but it looks like its improved. I hope the come out of it. For those looking for some try and find a captive raised piece from someone in your club. If you must buy from an online dealer make sure its NOT fresh cut, it will more than likely die soon after you get it.
Old 08/13/2007, 09:52 AM
Registered Member

I agree with workn4frags about the fresh cut piece probably dieing during shipping compared to one that has been grown out on a plug, rock, etc., The cesp is really easy to frag. Place some rock near it and it will start moving towards it. Then once a piece of its flesh gets onto the other rock, get a razor blade and cut it. That small piece that moved onto the rock will become another cesp colony. Wait a week or two and that frag can be shipped or trade to another person. Much more survivability than a fresh cut one. That fresh cut one will likely die during shipping.

Another thing to improve shipping of it is to invert the frag upside down on some styrofoam.
Old 08/15/2007, 10:50 AM
Registered Member

wow! i think i've just found the newest addition to my tank! now all i have to do is find someone local who has a frag!
Old 08/16/2007, 09:15 PM
Moved On

bigfun,
I promised John at UberFrags I'd get him some before MACNA so keep your eyes open...that's your neck of the woods right?
Old 08/28/2007, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

If any of you have some of this beautiful coral and are willing to sell some ... please pm me!

Thx