Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/23/2005, 07:13 AM
Registered Member

Question Drilled or overflow box

Just wondering if their is a real difference between having your tank drilled or having an overflow box. Can someone tell me which is better or if their is a real difference or not? I have a glass 55 gallon but am still researching this question before I set it up?
So far I'm getting no real conclusive answer. Is it a prefference thing or is there some advantages one way or the other???
Any thoughts would be great!!!!!!
Old 03/23/2005, 12:47 PM
Premium Member

There are some HOB overflows (Lifereef and Amiracle) that are really good, but drilled overflows are more or less bulletproof. I'd say drill it while you still can, there's no more frequent regret you hear than deciding not to drill.
Old 03/23/2005, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Go drilled....the only issue I ever have with my reef tank is the overflow breaking syphon. It's better now with my CPR and airlifter pump but it still worry's me when I travel.
I'm setting up a new tank soon and it will be drilled.
-Salty
Old 03/23/2005, 06:52 PM
RMRC President

Drilled takes out the "what if". What if my pump fails, what if my siphon breaks... etc.

If the tank is glass, you may not be able to drill it w/o cracking. Usually it is only recommended to drill acrylic DIY.

Pre-drilled from manufacturer is the only drilling I have heard complaints about, lots of times the one overflow compartment is not really sufficient for the size of tank. We have a 72 bow that is not drilled, and a 90 drilled by the manufacturer. Next time, I am saving my money for the custom drilled acryllic!

For now, both you and I are probably stuck with the overflow boxes.
Old 03/23/2005, 06:58 PM
Generic Member

A good quality, properly set up U tube system will never break siphon. It should run indefinitely. If that 55 has a tempered bottom you would have to drill through the back which is a good way to do it anyway.
Old 03/24/2005, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Thank you for the info it is much appreciated!!!
Old 03/24/2005, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

i will never go over flow again. i hate it. got for the drilled mega flow. east to start and set up.
Old 03/24/2005, 01:54 AM
Professional Crastinator

if you have it drilled you won't regret it...definitely the quality way to go IMO

"My instinct was to win, eliminate anyone who is in competition, destroy my enemy, and move on without any kind of hesitiation at all."
-Arnold Schwarzenegger
Old 03/24/2005, 11:17 AM
Premium Member

I have an AG megaflow 65 and am about to update to something larger and am strongly considering something else besides the AG. their overflow boxes are difficult to aquascape around, I place no value in the part of their megaflows which pull water in from any level except the top - they look like hell, bulkheads scare me almost as much as overflow tubles.

So I am thinking of going back to a quality overflow box - with little switch which senses too high a level in the main tank that shuts off the main pump
Old 03/24/2005, 11:39 AM
Generic Member

I personally hate the look of the top to bottom overflows in a RR tank. The corner ones are not bad though. I'd go that way for RR. Rear drilled is better. The nicest is having slots cut in the glass with an external overflow. No inside box or plumbing at all. A problem in the bottom of a drilled tank has the potential to empty the entire contents of a tank. At least a HOB will never do that. A quality U Tube overflow is much more reliable than most people realize. Cr@ppy products like CPR have given HOB a bad rap.
Old 03/24/2005, 11:48 AM
RC Sponsor

piece of mind alone makes it worth it
Old 03/24/2005, 12:45 PM
Generic Member

No reason not to have peace of mind with a good U Tube overflow setup. My setup is 100% reliable. People have run years without issue (a friend mine is going on 6 years). I dont worry about it one bit. The only possible way for mine to break siphon is to physically remove the U Tubes from the system.
Old 03/24/2005, 02:10 PM
Premium Member

I agree so far except that a megaflow will only empty the contents of the box not the whole reef or anywhere near it.

Quote:
Originally posted by sjm817
I personally hate the look of the top to bottom overflows in a RR tank. The corner ones are not bad though. I'd go that way for RR. Rear drilled is better. The nicest is having slots cut in the glass with an external overflow. No inside box or plumbing at all. A problem in the bottom of a drilled tank has the potential to empty the entire contents of a tank. At least a HOB will never do that. A quality U Tube overflow is much more reliable than most people realize. Cr@ppy products like CPR have given HOB a bad rap.
Old 03/24/2005, 02:19 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jnick
I agree so far except that a megaflow will only empty the contents of the box not the whole reef or anywhere near it.
True, only what is behind the box. The Twin-Flo corner setups are not bad looking at all.
Old 03/24/2005, 02:25 PM
Certifiable Tank Driller

I'd go for the drilled tank. I bought a bit to drill my new 150 but I need a bigger one. I'm doing (2) 1.5" drains in the back once I buy the new bit. Anyone need a bit for 1" plumbing? Mine has only three 1/4" practice holes of use on it. It's seems a little intimidating at first but if you have any mechanical ability it shouldn't be a problem. Just gotta go slow and keep the bit wet and cold....
Old 03/24/2005, 02:45 PM
Premium Member

on your practice trys did did you succeed or have a break..btw don't need one that small

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldStripe
I'd go for the drilled tank. I bought a bit to drill my new 150 but I need a bigger one. I'm doing (2) 1.5" drains in the back once I buy the new bit. Anyone need a bit for 1" plumbing? Mine has only three 1/4" practice holes of use on it. It's seems a little intimidating at first but if you have any mechanical ability it shouldn't be a problem. Just gotta go slow and keep the bit wet and cold....
Old 03/24/2005, 02:46 PM
Premium Member

do they make those still?

Quote:
True, only what is behind the box. The Twin-Flo corner setups are not bad looking at all.
Old 03/24/2005, 02:54 PM
Certifiable Tank Driller

jnick, on my practice trys I was completely successfull. That immediately gave me the confidence to actually drill my tank. I just went real slow. Seriously the only pressure on the bit was the weight of the drill. You could probably put a little pressure but I didn't want to risk it. I wasn't in a hurry.

The Twin-Flo's are still available. Most pet stores will say they aren't from my experience. I even called All Glass and they said the old style wasn't available. Finally I got a LFS to say yes they are available but it would be special order and take some time.

Last edited by GoldStripe; 03/24/2005 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03/24/2005, 03:09 PM
Generic Member

Quote:
do they make those still?
They still list them on the AGA website.
Old 03/24/2005, 03:10 PM
Certifiable Tank Driller

They are listed on the website for the corner reef ready tanks only I believe.
Old 03/24/2005, 03:15 PM
Generic Member

They show corner, rectangle, and bow AGA website
Old 03/24/2005, 03:20 PM
Premium Member

thanks yes they do listed as twin flow

Quote:
Originally posted by GoldStripe
They are listed on the website for the corner reef ready tanks only I believe.
Old 03/24/2005, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

I still don't like them enough - I like them more than megaflow

What I really want apparently is an offsize - 48 by 25 deep by 18
Quote:
thanks yes they do listed as twin flow
Old 03/24/2005, 03:58 PM
Generic Member

A 90G is is 48 x 24 x 18. You want it 18 front to back, or top to bottom?
Old 03/24/2005, 04:03 PM
Premium Member

shi... - i have been toying with several people - some believe deep means height, others from front to back

I want 24 inches from front to back -

Quote:
A 90G is is 48 x 24 x 18. You want it 18 front to back, or top to bottom?