Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/26/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

Well Water??

i am setting up my tank and im new to saltwater. we have well water at my house will it be safe to put that in there.
if not what should i do??
thanks
Old 11/26/2007, 11:18 PM
Premium Member

test the water.

I thought my well water would work, but it was very high in phosphates and caused a large algae bloom.

get a RO/DI unit!

Yeah. Wait, what?
Old 11/26/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

I'd avoid any water from the tap like the plague. If you don't want to spend the money for an RO/DI unit yet, I have found pretty good results with distilled water from the grocery store.

If you are planning on keeping any corals or other inverts, you might want to get a copper test kit and check the store water first - some distilled water makers might use copper plumbing.
Old 11/26/2007, 11:25 PM
Registered Member

did it give you alot of problems?? is it that bad. i dont think ill be able to get the RO
Old 11/26/2007, 11:35 PM
Registered Member

Local fish stores sometimes sell RO/DI, mine does, but it's more conveinent for me to buy distilled water at wal-mart. Also, my LFS water quality went down for a while, I guess they weren't testing as often. I'm planning on buying an RO/DI unit from the filter guys (RCsponsor), they are priced reasonably and offer filters specifically for well water. Definitely use some form of purified water. HTH
Old 11/26/2007, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reeferman00
did it give you alot of problems?? is it that bad. i dont think ill be able to get the RO
If this was addressed to me, I haven't really noticed any problems yet that I can attribute to the store-bought distilled water. I haven't tested it for copper yet - although I know it would be wise to do so - but all my inverts seem very healthy and I have not had much of an algae problem at all.
Old 11/27/2007, 08:05 AM
Team RC Member

Without having a complete chemical analysis of your well water no one can accurately answer your question. In general its not a good idea as wells can be high in minerals, nitrates and often have trace levels of pesticides and herbicides. I would recommend buying your water to start with and eventually get a RO/DI unit of your own.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:17 AM
Registered Member

I use well water and everything is ideal. I was worried at first, but my tank is 3 years old now and the coraline algae looks great and the only thing I add is calcium. I use an ecosystem refusium and couldn't be happier.
Old 11/27/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

My well water is loaded with iron, etc.
Well, to water softener, to RO unit, to happy fish. R
Old 11/27/2007, 11:01 AM
Registered Member

I would get an RO/DI system.
Old 11/27/2007, 11:14 AM
Team RC Member

walmart sells ro water from their machine unit. Many groceries do. THere are kiosks in some shopping centers that do.

Do not buy other bottled water: all sorts of things can be in it.

A TDS meter [total dissolved solids] can answer a lot of questions for you.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 11/27/2007, 11:23 AM
Bogus Information Expert

I think what we are trying to tell you Reeferman is that your water is not all that well when it comes to a Marine tank. With a small tank you can use store bought distilled until you can get an RO/DI unit. Here is more on Water.

Tom
Old 11/27/2007, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

I have well water, i used it right from the tap and never had a problem. I am now keeping coral so i am using RO/DI. but it all depends on the quality of the water.