Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/06/2008, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

to filter or not to filter

hi, im currently designing my next tank and im not sure if i should use mechanical filters or just go full biological (with a skimmer). im currently leaning towards biological to prevent possible nitrate problems and just wanted some of ur opinions
Old 01/06/2008, 10:02 PM
Premium Member

if you have enough Lr and Ls, skip the mechanical, maybe a phosban reactor with carbon and one with gfo. With a good skimmer you will be good to go. If you can run a fuge that will help also.
Old 01/06/2008, 10:50 PM
Premium Member

You can run filter socks but need to replace them VERY often to prevent nitrate buildup.I run a 7" on My 92 and change it about every 6-7 days whether it needs it or not.I have 5 of them and when I get down to the last one I throw them in the washer with a small splash of bleach.And rinse in dechlorinator after done.Works great.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:44 PM
Team RC Member

I run a 54g reef with no filtration, no filter sock. I have a 20g fuge and if copepods want the All Day Ticket and ride forever, I want no stop for them. My mandarin eventually appreciates them.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 01/07/2008, 06:31 PM
Registered Member

so does any1 think its a bad idea for me to do it?
Old 01/07/2008, 09:15 PM
Registered Member

Re: to filter or not to filter

Quote:
Originally posted by super stooge
hi, im currently designing my next tank and im not sure if i should use mechanical filters or just go full biological (with a skimmer). im currently leaning towards biological to prevent possible nitrate problems and just wanted some of ur opinions
What do you mean by biological filter......LS and LR or Bio ball. b/c bio balls cause a high nitrate problem down the road FYI

I just pulled mine out on my wet dry b/c i had nitrate of 20 ppm i am just using LR and LS for a bio filter

~Its not the size of the skimmer but the motion of the ocean~

><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·><((((º>
Old 01/07/2008, 09:18 PM
RC Mod

Mechanical filters might pull out some animals that'd be useful to have in the water column, but they are fine if kept clean. I don't bother, personally.
Old 01/07/2008, 09:31 PM
Premium Member

I have a 65 Gal, use a sock (but like the guy above, change it about every 4 or so days) and use a proten skimmer. I have carbon and phasban in a sock in my sump. I am thinking about buying reactors.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeffcam...7602190610068/
Old 01/08/2008, 12:16 AM
Registered Member

na no bioballs.

thanks for ur replies and ur tank is beutiful jccash, great shot of ur 2 clowns