Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/17/2007, 12:50 AM
Registered Member

How much to feed Yellow Tang?

My yellow tang is starting to look really skinny. I quit giving him Nori for a while hoping to encourage him to eat more green hair algae. Now that the algae's gone I want to make sure I'm feeding him enough. Currently giving him a strip of nori about 1" wide and 4" long each day. Does that sound like enough? He gets his fair share of any flake or frozen food too.

This is a fully grown yellow tang, had him for over 2 years now.
Thanks.

Phil
Old 12/17/2007, 01:55 AM
Moved On

Sounds good. As long as he has something to graze on for the day and mixed up morning and night nutrition food then he should be a happy camper.
Old 12/17/2007, 04:13 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Feed him all he wants. I fed mine until it looked like it would pop... it wont 'overfeed'... just get fatter and fatter.
Old 12/17/2007, 07:50 AM
Premium Member

I feed my 90g a 4" x 4" piece of nori (folded up and held in a clip) daily, along with a mixture of seafoods and flake/pellets soaked in Selcon, and my YT is very fat. The tang is about 3.5" long, and she eats the majority of the nori (yes, she poops a lot!).

I agree with hahnmeister - feed the tang all he wants. If he's skinny, he's definitely not getting enough to eat. Tangs are designed to graze all day long, so if there's not enough algae growing in the tank (good for you, BTW ) you need to supplement with enough nori that he can pick at it for hours. If a strip the size you mentioned is enough to accomplish that, and your tang is gaining weight, you're on the right track!
Old 12/17/2007, 06:09 PM
Registered Member

Thanks everyone, I'll keep upping the amount I give him a little till he quits eating it all.

Phil