Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07/28/2006, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

Calling all clownfish buffs

Ive decided to help my mom (a teacher) set up a tank in her class room. It is going in a high school science classroom so its basically designed to be a neet little distraction for the poor freshmen.

It needs to be small, utilitarian, but still cool.

My plan:
10 gallon glass tank
Aquaclear 70 h.o.b. filter/fuge mod
2 18watt power compacts (actinic/10,000k?)
50 watt heater

and maybe:
Fission nano skimmer?
powerheads?

I know 10g is a little small, too small for an anemone (right?). so what are the chances of a clown hosting a frogspawn? ive seen it before, would they do it in that size tank? Ive heard interresting ways to get then to host, from chasing them with a net to taping a picture of a clown hosted anemone to the side of the tank.

please pick this thread appart, any and ALL information welcome!
Old 07/28/2006, 12:19 AM
Non Paying Premium Member

Location: Los Angeles(Silverlake) & Monrovia (next to Pasadena)
it can happen.. clowns will host in just about anything....

Want to see my tank? click on my Red House..
Old 07/28/2006, 12:33 AM
Registered Member

I have seen clowns hosting in colt coral and others, so it is possible that they may host in the frogspawn. You are also correct that a 10 gal would be too small for an anemone and the lighting would probably be insufficient for an anemone.
Old 07/28/2006, 02:39 AM
Registered Member

get ready to make lots of cuttings on the frogspawn. i have to trim mine every 3-4 months.
Old 07/28/2006, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

why not go with a 12gal nanocube dx? It has all the necessary lighting and filtration. You can fill the biofilter chamber with live rock rubble, and add the surface skimmer attachment to make a very function small tank. You may even get away with a BTA in that setup.
Old 07/28/2006, 07:07 AM
Premium Member

Great idea! We have several teachers with tanks in our local reef club.

Classroom tanks are a little hard because of vacation and temperature issues. No one will be there in the case of a power outage and they frequently have wide temperature swings over periods of time when people aren't there.

10 gallons may be really tough to keep things like salinity stable unless it is covered, in which case it will be even harder to keep the temperature ok with reef lighting.

Have you considered using a large sump to stabalise water quality? I've always wanted to set a 10g tank onto a 60g barrel and have a 70g "nano".
Old 07/28/2006, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

hehe... first of all they will host in something that small i have 2 clowns hosting a torch in a 5.5 gallon tank...

salinity is the most constant problem because evaporation happens so "quickly" on these small tanks - you need to keep her on top of topping water off...

as far as that 70 gallon nano idea - i am currently working on a 49 gallon nano - 20 L up top, 29 underneath... ill let you all know how it goes...
Old 07/28/2006, 11:41 PM
Lazy reefer

Maybe you should consider an AquaPod 24 for about 200.00 it is a perfect setup for clowns and BTA. All you need to add is sand and Live Rock.
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...Code=Aquariums

For mor money (350.00) get the one with 70 or 150 W MH
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...Code=Aquariums

Anyway, you should really consider temperature problems. Often the elecricity (almost alway the airconditioner) got turn off on the weekend. This would be death for the tank.
Old 08/01/2006, 06:35 PM
Registered Member

Also have a school tank

I'm a teacher in a middle school (grade 6) and have set up a 220 gallon reef tank in my classroom.

regarding the clowns, they will host in some anemones and also will host in some leathers like green tree coral or colt coral.

I'm also a member of the Boston Reefers Society, our local reef club.
If you have questions, feel free to e mail me.

Is the school air conditioned? Can you get into the school most hours?
Is there a place within the classroom near plugs, but away from heating vents and windows?

I would suggest getting a slightly larger tank....maybe at least a 30gallon. You can usually pickup one of these at yard sales, on craigslist, or local papers. The larger the tank, the less fluctuation that you will have in the water.

Using Ro/di water or salt water from a store will ensure that there are no dissolved solids or chlorine or chloramines. this will also cut down on algae blooms and cyanobacteria.

Read a lot, start slow. Some live rock evenually will help.

Send me a message if you have questions specific to set ups in schools.
Boston Reefers Society-(Oceanguy)