Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/23/2007, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Yellow Stripe Maroon Clownfish

I was wondering for those of you who possess a Yellow Stripe Maroon Clownfish how you like them. I currently am running an AP 24 and the only things in the tank currently are 2 red legged hermit's; 3 astrea snails; 2 bumblebee snails, zoo's, gsp, a ton of feather dusters. The local shop has this fish that the color is just amazing, the red/maroon color just pops out under pc's and the yellow strips are amazing too. He is about 2 1/2" long and looks pretty well fed with all fins perfect. I am really tempted to buy this fish, but am unsure.

I plan on adding a shrimp, and maybe some small neon gobies, and some other small gobies, and some more zoo's, ric's and a bubble tip anemone or hammer coral. This would be my largest fish in the tank.

Do you think he would do okay with my future plans?? This fish's color is just amazing, it was the first thing that caught my eye in the store. We were looking to adding a percula clown, or a tomatoe clown, but this fish is just stunning compared to all the other ones I have seen.
Jon
Old 01/23/2007, 08:50 PM

Jon,

Not a good fish for a 24 - at first it's "ooooh & aaaaah"
Then, inevitably, when your sweet little male changes into the bride of Frankenstein ( a female) it will be "AAAGHHHHH! & Oh nooooo!"

And usually the pretty orange changes to burnt maroon.

Here's Queen Isabella and Mr. Queen Isabella (the smaller male) A female GSM will dominate 30g worth of tank space - she doesn't want you to have any corals in that area and can move huge rocks around that you'd never imagine - get oscellaris! Also that little 2 incher becomes a 4 inch bundle of terror in a fairly short amount of time.

So long, & thanks for all the fish!

Last edited by Angel*Fish; 01/23/2007 at 09:03 PM.
Old 01/23/2007, 09:19 PM
Premium Member

I disagree with that. I own a 24G nano with a marroon and it lives happily with a coral beauty and a royal gramma all fish have lived happily for over a year now.
As a matter of fact a maroon is a good choice for a tank that size cause once they find there territory they stick to it and run everyone off. But of all the clowns they are by far the most aggressive, so keep that in mind.
13+years Experience.
Soon to have 250 Gallon dream Reef Tank.
Old 01/23/2007, 09:36 PM

In the absence of a mate a maroon will take a longer reaching her full potential, but I think she will get there

BTW, in my experience she will get along fine with fish other than clowns,and certainly no angel would allow itself to be intimidated by the likes of a clownfish!

Your CB will appreciate it if you will eventually move him up to your 250g.

Old 01/23/2007, 10:17 PM
Registered Member

I agree, bad choice for that tank... I have a 24g AP with a false perc, 6 line, purple firefish, and green banded goby... doing it over I would have gotten a black & white perc since I like the color contrast with all the corals but I digress.

In my 50g I have a gold banded maroon & a juvi green spotted puffer (normally the one with the bad rap as being agressive) let me tell you, Ginger (clown) is a royal PIA.... the above post wasn't kidding saying they will rearrange your tank to their liking, mine tore apart my macro algaes, she spits crushed coral gravel all over the place, she will move smaller LR pieces and corals. Now that she has a anemone to host in she is even more aggressive and often chases my puffer around. I've heard stories from other puffer owners of the maroon clowns taking all the fins/tails off puffers.
Old 01/23/2007, 11:38 PM
Premium Member

I have a 95G with a pair and they are all over the tank! they are the only agressive fish in there!! I dont drink they would be happy in a 24G...JMO...but mine just started laying eggs again since I upgraded 3 months ago! YAY
Old 01/24/2007, 12:35 AM
clownfish fan

a year is not enough time talk in two and a half they are nasty fish when they get older and need specialized care and at least a 3ft tank
Old 01/24/2007, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

when i had my maroon he was the terror of the tank. He would go as far as fanning and taunting my dwarf lion right in his face. He was fearless and even kept my niger triger under wraps. IMO it would be a good "last" fish and maybe even a great "only" fish for that size system.

What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing.
-Ron Burgundy-
Old 01/24/2007, 08:06 AM
Registered Member

I also think the tank is not big enough.
I have one for close to 4 years now. The first 3 years she (problably) was in a 55g and became more and more agressive with other fish and corals as she aged.
She is now in a 210g for almost an year and much calmer.

Some pics (taken by a friend)

Old 01/24/2007, 11:35 AM

Beautiful!- Love those cheek spines!
As for tank size, my pair was in a 100g - you'd think that would be enough. But they were a spawning pair which is the worst situation aggressively speaking. The female didn't want any corals in an area of about a third of the tank. Anything that wasn't bolted in was history .

Old 01/24/2007, 11:45 AM
Premium Member

In my experience (I have a pair that have been together for a while) they're not as bad as everyone makes them out to be. Oh, they'll hold their own, no doubt...but they have never been aggressive with other non-clowns, although she used to spit sand at a Lunare wrasse (and he would spit it back at her). Now, they refused to let me put corals or clams on a rock ledge near their BTA, which was annoying. And if the anemone is near the sand bed, the female will stir it all up and deposit sand all over everything in the vicinity, which is really annoying.

I would think twice about the 24 gal choice however...that could make matters worse.

Oh, about the color...my male is still obviously maroon, but the female is now so dark she's almost black.

jds
Old 01/24/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Angel*Fish
Beautiful!- Love those cheek spines!
Marie,
Did you see that my marron has 3 cheek spines in the right side ? (only the "regular" 2 in the left side.)

Are yours similar ?

If not, I may start calling mine a Premnas TRIaculetaus, since they´re named after the 2 spines they (are supposed to) have in the cheek.
Old 01/24/2007, 11:57 AM
clownfish fan

yes there are two breeds of maroons in my opinion maybee three all determined by cheek spines
Old 01/24/2007, 12:05 PM

Joao,
I don't have mine anymore - I had to get out of the hobby for a while and they moved to a new home.

GSM guy - That's very interesting!

Old 01/24/2007, 12:12 PM
clownfish fan

mine both have two spines there seem to be other determining factors like the captive bred ones are mostly hybrids but i think there are two body shapes kind of like tru perc and false percs having different faces, this is all a hunch but i have read about the no spine maroon clowns and now the three spine so its hard to call them all two spine
i need to look into this more today is the first time i really contemplated it
all that i wonder is where they were all collected from. uphill battle to figure it out
Old 01/24/2007, 12:24 PM
Registered Member

GSM, that is interesting.

But the funny thing about my fish is that, as mentioned, it has 3 spines on the right cheek

but only 2 on the left one
Old 01/24/2007, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Here you can see both sides
Old 01/24/2007, 12:28 PM
clownfish fan

i would bet yours is a morph of a regular two spine that just grew an extra spine
great photos Joao
Old 01/24/2007, 12:31 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
great photos Joao
Yeah...wish I´d taken them myself....
Old 01/24/2007, 12:42 PM
clownfish fan

oh ok now its a pictures thread here are mine i paired them myself my girlfriend picked them both out i had the female 8 months before i paired them

Old 01/24/2007, 12:46 PM
clownfish fan

Old 01/25/2007, 12:08 PM
Premium Member

Here's mine.
http://www.pbase.com/ken6217/image/72452331

Ken