Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11/02/2006, 11:13 PM
Registered Member

AGA MegaFlow Aquariums

Alright....I want to grab a 75 Gallon Mega Flow aquarium and have heard some good reviews about them, but there is one thing that concerns me. The intake standpipe that feeds the sump uses a 1" bulkhead ( which should be fine with my 1.5" Durso Standpipe). But the problem is the return line FROM the sump. They only allow for a 3/4" bulkhead.........can I run a Mag 9.5 through this small of a bulkhead wisely? Its my understanding that the return lines for Mag 9.5's should be 1.5", right? What do y'all think?
Old 11/03/2006, 02:36 AM
Registered Member

the mag 9.5 output at 4ft of heighth is 800 GPH. the max flow rate is 600 GPH through each overflow in the all glass aquariums.
the 75 gal only has one overflow

so basically you need to find a wimpier pump

would go with something that only gives one to 3 times the volume of your tank through the sump per hour
Old 11/03/2006, 02:47 AM
Registered Member

The inlet and outlet for a Mag 9.5 is 3/4" so I don't think it should be a problem. A Mag 9.5 is rated for 950gph and I think the megaflow is only rated for 600gph so you may need to balance the flow. I have a 90 with a 500gph return pump.
Old 11/03/2006, 03:20 AM
Registered Member

I have a 65 gallon AGA with Megaflow and run a Mag 9.5 wtih absolutely no problems. It uses a 3/4" outlet.
Old 11/03/2006, 03:45 AM
Registered Member

I had a 55gl set up with about 900gph going trough it and had no problems.
Old 11/03/2006, 05:31 AM
Premium Member

I have a 72 bowfront with the megaflow and run a mag 9.5 to the return. Mine goes to the chiller then to the return, about 8 ', and no problems. You could add a gate valve on either side of the pump and reduce the flow with the gate after the pump (never before) if it is too much. The 2 gate valves can be used when cleaning or replacing the pump. Also, do not forget to add the height of the return line in the overflow to the length of the hose from the pump for the total length of the return line.
Old 11/03/2006, 05:47 AM
Registered Member

im running a 1200 gallon on my 125 it worked well but it was going to fast for the sump so just adjusted the gate valves now its working well

The Mind Is Like A Parachute....Doesn't Work Unless It's Open
Old 11/03/2006, 07:41 AM
Generic Member

This is the issue with Mags. The plumbing size you need to get full flow from them is impractical. I'd say 99% of Mag owners have the flow from their pumps severely restricted. 3/4" is a substantial flow reduction on that pump.

All that being said, the full flow from a 9.5 is too much for a 75G anyway. With 4' of 3/4" you are looking at maybe 450 - 500 GPH from the pump which is still higher than the 3 - 5x (225 - 375 GPH) that is usually recommended. I would just plumb it up with the 3/4". It will work fine.