Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/13/2007, 03:20 AM
Registered Member

So I'm looking at these Nova Extremes...

In the market for some lights for my 72g bowfront. Does anyone have anything to say about the "48 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 8x54W T5HO with 4 Lunar Lights" I'm looking at at Marine Depot?
Old 06/13/2007, 09:01 AM
Registered Member

You probably get better output with Aquactinics TX5 Series or Tek

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...de=Aquactinics

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_...unlight_Supply
Old 06/13/2007, 09:02 AM
Registered Member

I have two Nova extreme 36" fixtures over my 55 gallon. What do you want to know? Cheap way to put T-5 lighting over your tank. Pluses are: a full fixture, not a retro with wires and loose endcaps to deal with, cooling fans are included in the fixture which will extend bulb life and increase light output. Negatives: bulbs are Current bulbs, and no individual reflectors.

If you want to try t-5 lighting and have a budget, they are a fine option. There is a reason why some folks pay more for better fixtures.
Old 06/13/2007, 04:01 PM
Registered Member

That would be fine for a fowlr or for a softy tank, maybe even some lps. If you plan on doing any sps I would seriously recommend going with the fixtures jc9394 linked. What are you future plans and goals for this tank?
Old 06/13/2007, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

I have SPS and Lots of echinos and scolymia and a clam in the bottom of my 55. All are doing fine and the SPS is coloring up nicely, there are plenty of reasons to look at the better made fixtures with active cooling and individual reflectors and choices of bulbs to mix and match. Being limited to not keeping certain corals is not one of them.
Old 06/13/2007, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GMAX
Being limited to not keeping certain corals is not one of them.
I also agree with that statement, there quite a few threads on the Nova here on rc and it is on sale at drfostersmith $399.00 for 8 bulb version. But, also look into the Aquactinics TX5 Series a lot of positive reviews. one thing about the aquactinics it is ugly imo.
Old 06/13/2007, 05:05 PM
Registered Member

If the budget will allow I would def. recommend staying away from the current fixture. I purchased a 36" unit.. after 3months the atinic bulbs started flashing on and off. Thought it was the bulbs, current would not do anything for me. The vendor did not have any replacement bulbs in stock, and had not been able to get any since they started selling the fixture. Finally got some bulbs and found it was a ballast issue, again current did not want to hear anything about it. Vendor was going to send a replacement ballast. BUT current had no replacement ballast available for the fixture. Needless to say the vendor is sending out a new fixture and I will be sending back the defective unit. That is after 2 months of go around! Not a happy customer and would have been better off spending a few extra bucks on an aquatinics or tek light.
Old 06/13/2007, 05:22 PM
Registered Member

I had that fixture. I have since built my own canopy with halides and 4 X T5's with Ice Cap SLR reflectors.
The Nova extreme puts out a good deal of light. I agree with the others that stated that it will not limit you in what you can keep eventhough there are better fixtures out there.
Old 06/13/2007, 05:37 PM
Registered Member

There are better fixtures that put out more PAR. But anyone that says you can't keep SPS under them is full of it and has never used one.
Old 06/13/2007, 06:14 PM
Premium Member

I am also looking at T5 fixtures for my upcoming 90 gallon tank. I did look really hard at the Nova 8x54 fixture. For the price, it looks like a pretty good solution. However, I am leaning towards going with the SS Tek light 8x54 mainly because of the individual reflectors and the mainly positive reviews.
Old 06/13/2007, 06:26 PM
Registered Member

an eight bulb nova will not equal a 5 bulb aquactinics in PAR or penetration of light. Individual reflectors and better bulbs make the aquactinics a much better unit for around the same cost.
Old 06/13/2007, 06:43 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kodyboy
an eight bulb nova will not equal a 5 bulb aquactinics in PAR or penetration of light. Individual reflectors and better bulbs make the aquactinics a much better unit for around the same cost.
That's probably true in terms of light output but for somebody on a tight budget, you get the lamps as well with the Nova plus the moonlights (which are really cool) for around $400 or less. Can upgrade to better lamps when it comes time to replace the stock lamps.
Old 06/13/2007, 06:57 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DarG
That's probably true in terms of light output but for somebody on a tight budget, you get the lamps as well with the Nova plus the moonlights (which are really cool) for around $400 or less. Can upgrade to better lamps when it comes time to replace the stock lamps.
Also keep in mind electricity costs. On a 48" fixture, the Aquactinics will afford you to run only 5 bulbs which is ~150 less watts of electricity youre using with the same or more usable light than the Nova. Not to mention only having to replace 5 bulbs instead of 8. With the price of electricity by me, its definitely something to consider.

Theres also resale value. A used Aquactinics fixture will be gone in minutes and you will get a good chunk of your investment back.
Old 06/13/2007, 07:07 PM
Registered Member

That's definitely true. Although you can sell a Nova Extreme pretty easily on ebay. It's just easier to sell the Aquactinics on the forums.