Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 01:25 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy I Need Clownfish Help!!!

Here is my issue.....my tank has a lot of flow, like 20X or so. I used to have a lot of triggers in my 220 so i had water quality issues, but since I got more flow, my water has been great. I dumped the triggers and got onto the reef fish side.

In november, I bought 2 true percs. They always were up in the top corner of my tank all the time behind the pumps but they WERE eating and stuff. I thought they just hid up there because they werent used to the tank yet. Well, tonight, I saw one of my clowns sucked into the side of my Koralia. These clowns arent huge, but I thought they could hold their own.

So now I have one true perc left. What do I do? Do i get a breeder net to house him in for a while? Or do I just let him go? Can they really not help the flow? Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Old 12/31/2007, 07:06 AM
Registered Member

mmm, imo, the flow isn't that big of a problem. the fish should be able to adjust. i know i had at LEAST 15x flow in my 24g nano and my fish were fine. if that perc got stuck on the powerhead it means he got sick / weak enough that he wasn't able to swim out of there.
it might've been a disease or stress or just starving.

how long have you had them?
my clowns adjusted after a few hours lol. but i guess i was lucky.
-magnum 350
-250watt heater
-no fish yet >_<
Old 12/31/2007, 11:42 AM
Premium Member

I agree with above. It sounds like the clowns never adjusted and weakened.

What else do you have in the tank? I've only seen fish stay in an upper corner when they are being stressed by other tank mates. A 220 should have plenty of space, so it seems like an odd behavior.

Some tank raised clowns have wandering behavior that will take them all over including the upper corners. They just aren't use live rock, anemones, or other hiding locations.
Old 12/31/2007, 12:15 PM
Registered Member

My clown stays at the top corner of the tank by the pump everytime i turn on the light. when the light is off, he seems to be fine. not sure whats wrong with him. Mine isn't eating :\
Old 01/02/2008, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Fishy Poopie
My clown stays at the top corner of the tank by the pump everytime i turn on the light. when the light is off, he seems to be fine. not sure whats wrong with him. Mine isn't eating :\

try and feed him brine shrimp although nutrionally absent, clowns can't turn it down, if he doesnt eat that something is definately wrong, i would also leave the lights off for a while