Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > SouthWest Region-Reef Club Forums > Central Oklahoma Marine Aquarium Society
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/07/2008, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

where to buy specular/reflective aluminum

I am thinking about replacing my old MH reflectors and doing some DIY's. Does any one know where I can find specular aluminum in the okc/norman area. If so please let me know.
Old 01/07/2008, 01:54 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I'm not sure where or what you even have in mind, but have you looked at Mylar? It's highly reflective and pretty readily available.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Travis, Mylar might work, but I am looking for something thicker. That I can cut and bend into a reflector
Old 01/07/2008, 02:25 PM
Shark Hunter

Are you interested in polishingit yourself? I know you can get aluminum flashing at the hardware stores. Polish and fabricate it yourself.
Old 01/07/2008, 02:41 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Well, in worst case scenario, you could use both Prater and my ideas. Bend some aluminum flashing in to the shape of a reflector, and then stick Mylar on the inside
Old 01/07/2008, 03:10 PM
Registered Member

Would mirror backed plexiglas work or do the lights generate too much heat?
Old 01/07/2008, 03:18 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I would worry about two things. First would be the heat that you already mentioned. I wouldn't even try it with plexiglass. Second, as nice and reflective as a mirror looks to the naked eye, it actually cuts light intensity fairly drastically. You have to remember that the light has to travel through the glass to get to the reflective surface, bounce, and then travel back through the glass before even reaching the water's surface.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:24 PM
Shark Hunter

Travis,

How does the Myler's polyester film hold up with the heat of MH lights? I have never used it and dont really know all its properties.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:41 PM
Registered Member

i got a friend that took a pice of acrilic and glued aluminum foil to it to make a reflector it works quite well
Old 01/07/2008, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

Prater, If i could get a decent gloss from aluminum flashing I would definately give it a try. I have some in the garage I'll give it a try

Travis, as long as the mylar could hold up to the heat I would give it a try and attach it to the flashing with some 3m spray adhesive.

thanks for the suggestions everyone. -
Old 01/07/2008, 03:51 PM
Registered Member

I am afraid acrylic would melt even if it was covered with a reflective coating.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:55 PM
Shark Hunter

What kind of polisher do you have? Doing it by hand will take a while.
Old 01/07/2008, 03:58 PM
Registered Member

its an electric sander/polisher with a cotton mitt. I would hope it would work fine. I have some mothers nano metal polish for aluminum. I can give it a try atleast
Old 01/07/2008, 04:06 PM
My Life for Aiur!

I haven't tested it, but I've read multiple things about it being highly heat resistant. I was looking on wikipedia just to get more indepth information and came across this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyethylene_terephthalate
"Clear boPET film is used as lidding for fresh or frozen ready meals. Due to its excellent heat resistance, it can remain on the package during microwave or oven heating. "

I didn't realize that boPET (basically Mylar) was the same thing. I think as long as you didn't make a blind purchase, it would be highly doubtful that you would find someone that would melt on you if it can be heated in an oven.

One of the best parts about Mylar is that it is often used in the agricultural industry; predominately hydroponics.

I original came across the idea of using Mylar to line the inside of my canopy when I saw it came in sheets while I was looking for some cheap 250w metal halides. Inside Sun carries it, but I haven't done any pricing to see how their price stands or how hard it is to find locally
http://www.insidesun.com/ea3011f6aec...1cc47ef59.dept

Just think, I always thought it was just used for tying fly fishing flies and woven cords
Old 01/07/2008, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Travis, I dont guess the mylar would melt then Any idea where I could find it locally?
Old 01/07/2008, 04:13 PM
Shark Hunter

Its melting point is 489.2 Degree Fahrenheit
Old 01/07/2008, 04:15 PM
Registered Member

I would guessi would be safe using myar then? or not? I am going to try polishing the flashing first and if I am not happy with that the I could easily add the mylar.
Old 01/07/2008, 04:21 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by SoonerFan51
I would guessi would be safe using myar then? or not? I am going to try polishing the flashing first and if I am not happy with that the I could easily add the mylar.
I would try polishing if it isn't going to be much of a hassle. It would be one less cost. If it doesn't work or is too labor intensive, then I would look for Mylar. With Prater's little tidbit, I wouldn't have a problem using Mylar in my tanks, and I'm actually thinking about lining the inside of my 10g now.

If you're going to look for Mylar, I would hit up your Agriculture, Gardening, and Automotive stores. I know that Mylar is sometimes used as a type of window tinting. It might even be limo tinting, just under a different name. I would have to check on it.
Old 01/07/2008, 04:25 PM
Registered Member

travis, good call on the window tinting, I'll check the local agg place too. I do appreciate all the help and good luck with your ten gallon tank
Old 01/07/2008, 04:31 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Thanks. Now I need to finish the 75g, 2x 2g, and now a 26g
Old 01/07/2008, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

Well I polished up a piece of old flashing and it looks suprisingly reflective. Now off to buy flashing and create a masterpiece.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:37 PM
My Life for Aiur!

Quote:
Originally posted by SoonerFan51
Well I polished up a piece of old flashing and it looks suprisingly reflective. Now off to buy flashing and create a masterpiece.
Though flashing is cheap, as you know, it isn't very sturdy. Most hardware stores carry thin sheet metal. I've seen all the way up to 16 gauge. You might check there to see if they have any aluminum.
Old 01/07/2008, 05:38 PM
Registered Member

It doesnt have to be too strong I am doing a design similar to the lumenarcs. I think normal flashing will work I will let you know.
Old 01/07/2008, 07:09 PM
Reefing... Neato cool!

I have four 48" reflectors that have lost their reflectability that I will sell real cheap or trade for a frag if anyone is interested in trying the Mylar or something inserts or can figure out a way to make them like new.

Here's what happened but you have to promise not to tell anyone how I had a blonde moment...it's so embarrassing for a redhead-like person.

When I got them they had this clear plastic cover. Like I was suppose to know that? Later...as in months...it started coming off in pieces but the glue was stuck so I scraped and used chemicals trying to get it off.

Finally with the last one, I soaked it in water and the stuff came right off. Whodda thunk it? So I have some non-reflective reflectors that would make a great form for something reflective. Pieces of Mylar and a glue gun? I use that for everything.

Anyone interested or any ideas?

CRASE 2008
Old 01/07/2008, 08:27 PM
Registered Member

If you want cheap mylar search eBay for mylar blanket. For about $3 you can get a 7' x 4' emergency survival mylar blanket. I hung one behind my back-up tanks to keep salt spray off the wall and increase light.