Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should We Have A PTOTM (Prop Tank Of The Month)
Yes 92 86.79%
No 14 13.21%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07/07/2007, 03:59 PM
Registered Member

Prop Tank Of The Month(PTOTM)

I think We should start this. Its a great idea to inspire people to build there own frag tanks and learn how to become a Reefer who practices Coral Propigation.

matt
Old 07/07/2007, 05:50 PM
Registered Member

Good call.
Old 07/07/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Anyone else
Old 07/07/2007, 11:47 PM
Registered Member

i voted good idea
Old 07/08/2007, 04:11 PM
Registered Member

I voted yes, but the only problem i see is that their are not that many prop systems on this site, and this is one of the less viewed forums, so we may not get that many votes......
But i still think it is a very good idea and can definately be good for the hobby.
Old 07/08/2007, 07:43 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by RobSW1
I voted yes, but the only problem i see is that their are not that many prop systems on this site, and this is one of the less viewed forums, so we may not get that many votes......
But i still think it is a very good idea and can definately be good for the hobby.
I Agree so maby one every 3 months?
Old 07/08/2007, 10:02 PM
Registered Member

Well that sounds good to me but i think 1 every couple of months would be great
Old 07/08/2007, 11:22 PM
Zoa's ROCK!!!

It would be great but I think after awhile there wouldnt be enough prop systems. Unless you would like to buy me a green house and all the fixn's! ;-P I have great temp. in Tucson!
Old 07/08/2007, 11:27 PM
nucleosynthesis baby!

Prop Tank of the Quarter.. good idea.
Old 07/09/2007, 12:00 PM
Registered Member

what do we need to get this official
Old 07/10/2007, 08:11 AM
Registered Member

Man, that sounds like a great idea.

I recently set one up and it is looking good so far.
Old 07/10/2007, 08:59 AM
Registered Member

I think this is a very good idea as additionally it will provide people with insight in to fragging and also provide examples of how to setup a frag tank.
Old 07/10/2007, 09:21 AM
Premium Member

I'd have to agree as well that this is a great idea and I like the PTOTQ. I would imagine there would be a good response, at least for the 1st year. Maybe it'll an inspiration for others to follow along...
Old 07/10/2007, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

yeah i think this will not only help raise the amount of people who participate in this froum. But also make people aware of healthy ways to save corals by fragging them and put them in a prop tank.

I just need to figure out what we have to do get this official and up and running
Old 07/10/2007, 01:50 PM
Registered Member

Great idea. Id go with ptotQ as well.
Old 07/10/2007, 05:29 PM
Registered Member

I'm down with this. Sounds like a helluva idea.
Old 07/10/2007, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Nice idea... and by the way people who practice coral propagation are also saving wild reefs.
Old 07/10/2007, 07:22 PM
Registered Member

Call me I totally respect everyones opinion, but

What do you guys want to see? The nice eggcrate? How that person stacked the eggcrate? The corals that are on the plugs? Who has the biggest frag tank?

I like the TOTM because they are very unique, nice to look at, and replicates what you might see on a living reef (rock, coral, fish, etc.) Eggcrate and plugs don't deserve an award IMO.

So that would mean the one with the most/best corals wins? If that is the case, why not just call it the "I spent more money than you on corals" award.

I'd much rather see a monthly Nano Award or something else.

Don't get me wrong, I know people raising/fragging corals is a very good thing. The money you make back off the corals is your award though.

I'd be all for a stickied frag tank picture w/description only thread in this forum though.

Just my $.02.
Old 07/11/2007, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

WOW

well i appriciate your opinion and I knew there would be a nay sayer in the group.

Let me start of by saying that there are beautiful looking prop tanks out there that are very unique and nice to look at. They are not just filled with egg crate. Here is One by RRodrigues.

I am not trying to bash you but here goes.

The purpose of proposing a PTOTM is not to make it a competiton of who has the
Quote:
most/best
corals but rather as a educational thing. I want to get more people interested in this froum and I also want more aquarist to learn how to do these things.

Kellyjn says
Quote:
I'd much rather see a monthly Nano Award or something else.
and i respect this but this thread was not started to help you it was started to see if we could raise numbers for Coral Propagation and Aquaculture

I laugh while i write this because my $.02 never really gets heard and when i finally start a thread that gets some recognition someone always has to be there to try to put it down.

My only hope is that this was not all in vane and this idea catches on and it gets started.

I would like to see more people vote and maybe figure out what it takes to get this rolling. Calling All Moderators

matt
Old 07/11/2007, 02:46 AM
Registered Member

First off, I'll be one of the first to applaud you and your efforts to raise awareness on coral propagation. I didn't consider my post an attack. I'm sorry it was taken like that. Like I said, it was just my $.02.

I'm not the only naysayer, the poll indicates that.

RRodrigues has a VERY beautiful tank. I don't know if I'd really call that a prop tank though. More like a "shallow display tank" as someone else in that thread called it. TOTM material IMO.

Quote:
and i respect this but this thread was not started to help you it was started to see if we could raise numbers for Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Help me????? lol. I don't have a nano. On a serious note...... I thought this thread was started as a poll to see if people thought a PTOTM was a good idea and asked for opinions. My bad. Why not nominate a few nice tanks like RRodrigues for TOTM? Shall I go find a few TOTM that are propagating just as many corals as RRodrigues but in a regular sized display tank? Are people in regular display tanks not propagating corals in your opinion? Would people with only a certain height tank be nominated?

Quote:
I laugh while i write this because my $.02 never really gets heard and when i finally start a thread that gets some recognition someone always has to be there to try to put it down.
Jeez. You started a poll here and pretty much asked for opinions. I gave you mine, and you don't like it, so you complain. Again, I'm not the only one that thinks your idea isn't that hot. See poll. Don't get your feelings hurt. There's alot of people that agree with your opinion. Alot more than feel the way I do. But next time I'll only give my opinion if it agrees totally with yours. ......................
Old 07/11/2007, 03:27 AM
Registered Member

but it's only 10% of the populus that voted no, compaired to a massive 90% for. With regards to comments about whats the point of having a PTOTQ, its about showing people how you set it up, what corals you prop, etc, in afect you might as well say whats the point about anything! the point is that a lot of people come to this forum section to see how to set up prop tanks & therefore having a PTOTQ will allow the winner to provide a write up on how they set it up, etc giving much insight for novices. I personally think is a good idea and will welcome the idea if it comes off.
Old 07/11/2007, 10:19 AM
Premium Member

I ditto dark_stranger. Additionally, RRodrigues' tank was started as and has always been a prop tank and I'd say maybe 90% of his setup is DIY. I applaud him for taking the time and effort to update his thread in this forum. It's a true inspiration to those like me who hope to be able to create a prop tank like that at a fraction of the cost of pre-manufactured supplies.
Old 07/11/2007, 10:48 AM
Registered Member

Are we really surprised that a poll like this in the prop forum would get 90% of the votes? I'm thinking something similar would happen in the SPS forum if there was a poll of "Should there be an SPS tank of the month?". Kellyjn does raise some valid points (yes, shame on your for disagreeing!!! ). I think if you limit it to one per quarter, as folks have suggested, you can keep it informative without being repetitious because honestly, how much variation is there in prop tanks?
Old 07/11/2007, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

Well I am fine with a PTOTQ it sounds like a new concept that can catch on, But i really want to see this get rolling. I feel like the only thing we can do would be to PM the moderators of this forum.

The next step is to get someone to chime in who can actually start this up.
Old 07/11/2007, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

I thought about it and if no one replies to this I wonder if I and a few other people should just take charge and start the voting for PTOTQ

matt