Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment

Old 01/11/2008, 02:48 AM
Premium Member

tsouth, I would check with Marine Solutions. Rob has replacement pumps listed and maybe he can spot you one?

Also, I've read the impeller is the same as on the Pentair Aquatics Quiet One 3000 so you might check that as well.

Last edited by dgill; 01/11/2008 at 03:06 AM.
Old 01/11/2008, 06:26 AM
Registered Member

I'd be hesitant to run a pump without a shaft since that is the one piece that is truly keeping it centered... But I'm a skeptic and I know what happens when something is going 9k rpm and the crankshaft is not balanced. Things lock up and things go kaboom

Anyways, luke33 in one of your pic, is the air line somewhat pinched right at the venturi? Don't you think that is restricting the air going into the pump?
Old 01/11/2008, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

joker or anyone else with the MSX160, are you guys getting much microbubbles coming out of the outlet?
Old 01/11/2008, 08:47 AM
Registered Member

Luke keep us up to date, I have Rob sending me a new pump, something was just not a 100% right with the one I had. So, I will be following this to see what is working, so when I get my pump I can make the necessary adjustments.

By the way Marine Solutions customer service is second to none, if anyone was ever hesitant to buy from them don't be, Rob was fantastic to deal with.
Old 01/11/2008, 10:49 AM
Registered Member

Sounds awesome guys thanks for the info. I emailed marinesolutions last night and hopefully I'll have a response this evening. I contacted SWC also and was told to contact jayson/jaysen. I was wondering if I could take it to the hobby store and replace it with CF or S. Steel?
Old 01/11/2008, 11:58 AM
Registered Member

Are you guys seeing a lot of microbubbles from your skimmers? I am... Or maybe I just have mine set wrong?
Old 01/11/2008, 06:55 PM
Registered Member

I don't have any micro bubbles from mine, but I have had problems with the pumps. I had to loosen up the volute cover as much as I could, and I have to blow down the air tube to get them to start up. It is pretty annoying but hopefully I'll be able to figure out how to get them to start without cramming my head under the stand and trying to blow on the top of the silencer. The performance of my 250 seems pretty good though, especially for the price. I was looking at getting a BK Deluxe 200, so the price difference between these two is night and day. There are certainly some troubles with the skimmers right now, but it's the first batch, and I'm sure they'll get straightened out.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:00 PM
Registered Member

my 250 arrived. i ordered it last friday night and i have it...good turnaround by marinesolutions.

it was very well packed. marine solutions was nice they even added extra enkomat. i can tell they water tested as the pumps were in a bag that had a few drops...

nice quality acrylic. everything is great on the design of the skimmer.....except getting the pumps going....in fact, i broke 1 of the ceramic shafts while loosening the volute cover....the pumps kept on jamming up......
hopefully i can get a new ceramic shaft asap.

everyday brings a new adventure in this hobby.

hm
Old 01/11/2008, 11:32 PM
Premium Member

I just stick a piece of 3/16" aquarium tubing inside the tube in the silencer and blow down that to start the pump -- it's easier than trying to get my head in there :-)
Old 01/12/2008, 01:04 AM
Registered Member

Im getting micro bubbles even though my pump is fully sealed. Idk how to prevent this but they're all blowing back into my tank and it sucks! Probably because im running the 160 in a 10 gallon sump
Old 01/12/2008, 01:52 AM
Tank Collector

Quote:
Originally posted by tsouth
Im getting micro bubbles even though my pump is fully sealed. Idk how to prevent this but they're all blowing back into my tank and it sucks! Probably because im running the 160 in a 10 gallon sump
Do you have all the bubble baffles installed in the sump ??? Also, giving the skimmer some more time to break in should also result in less microbubbles... If you dont have baffles in the sump though you may not get rid of them completely....
Old 01/12/2008, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

Didn't want to have to deal with baffles and flow etc etc. If anything i'll stick a filter sock on the return pipe of the skimmer which would probably do it. I'll give it some more time first