Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion

Old 07/27/2006, 01:46 PM
Registered Member

Also does this work? Does lower side has to be this deep? I like to make this with PVC. So 3/4" fitting will fit Aqual Clear? I can also use purple primer on the PVC to give coralline look or paint black to hide with the black tank background.

Aquabucket, i hope you don't mind using your picture

Old 07/27/2006, 01:52 PM
Registered Member

I've already taken part of it apart, but I'll go take pics of what I have.
Old 07/27/2006, 02:01 PM
Registered Member

Heres the pics. You can use whatever you want for the skimmer part. Just make sure its tall enough to go to the water line.

Old 07/27/2006, 02:06 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for pics, so any idea what to use at the top in the overflow teeth area? Taper PVC etc...
Old 07/27/2006, 02:23 PM
Registered Member

I was just going to use 1" to 3/4" reducer. BTW sorry for the hijack AB.
Old 07/27/2006, 03:14 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Nano_reeflover
I was just going to use 1" to 3/4" reducer. BTW sorry for the hijack AB.
Is there 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" to 3/4" reducer? That might work better. Is it possible to have snail guard ? Sorry for hijack as well.

Very nice setup you have AB. I am planning to do 72g BF sumpless, skimmerless just like you did. I might get more fish though but i plan on adding them slowly to the tank.

We need more pics
Old 07/27/2006, 04:10 PM
Bucket Reefer

I don't consider your posts a hijack guys! As far as the depth of the skimmer tube you need to consider this. Since this is not like an overflow and a pump is drawing in the water in it can make a lot of gurgling noises and air can get into the HOB causing microbubbles and more noise. The deeper the u tube is the more quiet and efficient it will run.
Old 07/27/2006, 04:28 PM
Registered Member

I agree. My isn't all that long and I was getting micro bubbles. It was also gurgling a bit.
Old 07/27/2006, 04:34 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Aquabucket
I don't consider your posts a hijack guys! As far as the depth of the skimmer tube you need to consider this. Since this is not like an overflow and a pump is drawing in the water in it can make a lot of gurgling noises and air can get into the HOB causing microbubbles and more noise. The deeper the u tube is the more quiet and efficient it will run.
Good point. Doet it also mean this might work better with AC50 or AC70 compared to AC110, as AC110 has stronger pump and more GPH? What model do you have for HOB?

Also does it work better if surface skimming inlet is somewhat further from filter outlet or other powerheads or it doesn't matter?
Old 07/27/2006, 04:41 PM
Bucket Reefer

I have an AC 200. You can turn the flow rate down to make it quieter as well. I keep my flow rate at about a 1/4 of full strength. Location of the skimmer inlet really does not matter much IME.
Old 07/27/2006, 09:34 PM
Registered Member

Sounds good, thanks AB. Do you have more full tank shots
Old 07/28/2006, 03:43 PM
Registered Member

Might be offtopic but another neat desing for surface skimming:
http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=894704

HOB filter intake stays in the overflow section.

Old 07/29/2006, 03:04 PM
Bucket Reefer

Thats a pretty slick idea and design! Thanks for sharing.

Still can't get a computer to read the floppy discs from the camera. I keep getting format errors. Looks like I will have to borrow a camera to get some more pics. Oh well I was having fun while it lasted.
Old 08/13/2006, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
jgreen1025 ~

I forgot to mention that I am happy for you that your lava rock is working out! I was wondering if you could post a couple of pics?
Aquabucket,

Back in your previous thread you asked for a picture of my lava rock - this is about the best photo I've been able to get. My limit is 50k/photo so I had to shrink it down a lot and much of the detail isn't visible anymore. Essentially, there are about 5 different colors of coralline in this photo: red, purple, pink, gray, and green. There's several small sponges - some translucent white and another purplish-black. There are lots of featherdusters: small paper-like tubes, tiny calcerous tubes with red crowns, and many even smaller ones. The rock is covered with tiny limpet snails that grow to about 3/8", plus lots of little cerith-like scavengers. There might be some brittlestars visible on the sand. The only corals visible in this picture are the protopalythoa (?) in the upper right (with a small patch of montipora capricornis left on the rock from where I had to move it to prevent it from being overrun), some zoanthids in the lower right, and the edge of some candy-cane polyps in the lower left (all IDs are my best guesses). I'm still trying to get a decent full-tank shot, but so far all attempts have been pretty ugly (I warned you I'm a lousy photographer! )

John

Old 08/15/2006, 12:18 AM
Registered Member

Hopefully, this shows some of the detail a little better...?

John
Old 08/22/2006, 01:27 AM
Registered Member

amazing!

Just got my 40 breeder from petco for 40 bucks. I'm looking to do a very similar system. I was just wondering how you get 1440 gph turnover with an AquaClear 200- or are those powerheads in the corner? I'm looking at putting two AquaClear 500s in mine and skipping the powerheads all together. Then there is a place for a heater in one and filtration in the other. Do you think this would work?

Thanks
Old 08/22/2006, 02:19 AM
Bucket Reefer

jgreen1025 ~ Sorry I missed your post awhile back. That lava rock looks nicer than my Marshall Is. Thanks for postimng the pics!

ksupermnp ~ I have 4 power heads. 2 in each back corner facing forward and 2 on each side facing across the tank. I think moderate to high flow rates are very important to a system like mine ~ kind of like the bare botton folk who prefer to keep organics in suspension allowing them to be filtered out. This combined with frequent basting of my LR keeps things from accumulating. With that said if I were you I would put 2 power heads on each side of the tank.

I hope all goes well! Feel free to post some pics when you are ready!

Tomorrow I am moving my tank from my comupter room to my gallery room. I am going to be removing all of my corals from the rock and re-aquascaping. My bubble and toadstool are growing too large for their current places. I have moved quite a few tanks before so I don't anticipate any problems or losses. I'll keep everyone posted and try to get some pics. I picked up a couple of corals one being a very bright red and pink Echinophyllia.
Old 08/22/2006, 02:34 AM
El Jefe de WRS

very nice setup.... hope those 'skimmer addicted reefers' out there see this and realize that you dont need a skimmer to keep a happy reef.
Old 09/13/2006, 03:11 PM
Registered Member

Does the surface skimmer you have float? What happens when water gets down with evaporation? DO you have auto-topoff?
Old 09/13/2006, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Electrobes ~ Thanks! I try to do a 15% water change every 2 weeks. I also change my carbon and polyfilter after each WC.

Nice looking tank. I am also a huge fan of polyfilters. Do you actually "change" yours after each wc or do you wash them and re-use them?

Old 09/13/2006, 03:48 PM
Registered Member

TOTM, that is probably one of the best tanks I have ever seen. Great job!
Old 09/15/2006, 08:53 PM
Registered Member

Another bump for such a nice tank. I agree TOTM
Old 09/15/2006, 08:58 PM
Registered Member

very neat! I have all the equipments that you used. Might have to setup a skimmerless too with softies only.
Old 09/15/2006, 11:01 PM
Bucket Reefer

Quote:
Originally posted by SMS76
Does the surface skimmer you have float? What happens when water gets down with evaporation? DO you have auto-topoff?
The skimmer attachment is fixed but there are intake holes along the tube if the water surface gets below the skimmer. I top off a gallon jug of distilled water manually every other day via. a drip method. My neighbor takes care of it when I go away on vacation.

Ritten ~ I change the polyfilter after each wc. Since I work at an LFS I get then at cost. One large pad last me a few months.

Thank you everyone for the nice comments! TOTM ~ maybe in a couple of years when everything grows out.

I finally moved the tank to my gallery room and repainted the stand to match my room trim. I removed all my corals from the rockwork, scrubbed the rocks in left over tank water with a toothbrush for the heck of it and reaquascaped. The new aquascape looks fabulous.

I am going to borrow a camera this weekend and take some new pics.

Thanks again everyone for all the kind words!!!
Old 09/16/2006, 12:36 AM
a Buffer fish

Hi, Nice setup!

Just want to understand the filtration.

I also wish to know your phosphates, and nitrates.

And weather or not you do waterchanges.

Nice little tank.