Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/08/2005, 11:23 AM
Moved On

Sand sifter....?

Hi folks, I am very exicted to post my first thread on here! I have been readin and learning from this site for the past year. I restarted my reef tank about 4 months ago and so far so good (corssing my fingers). I try to put in at least 3-4 hours of research on anything im am going to buy for my tank before i purchase it but I am stuck. I am looking for somthing that does a good job of sifting sand. I have 2 scarlet shrimp, one monkey shrimp, 6 cerinth snails, 1 conch, scarlet hermits and the rest are corals. I belive it is time for some fish. Any fish out there that sifts sand? MY problem is I feed my polyps more plankton than average. My tank is a 30 gallon but i feed for 100g. They are doing great, my amonia is 0.03 or something like that, nitrite is abou 0, ph 8.3 nitrate is abou 40-80 depending on the day of the week
. Does anyone here have any suggestions on what i can use to keep my substrate looking clean? Oh and any clubs in the Los Anglese Valley area?

Thank ALOT for everything guys! I couldnt have done this without all of you.
Old 03/08/2005, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Welcome!

Try doing a search for sand sifter. I remembered one thread off the top of my head (it was a few pages back) that might help you:

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...hreadid=541459

The problem with most sand-sifting fish is that they tend to dump the sand wherever they feel like it, without regard to whether or not they're dumping on a coral. If this would be a problem for you, you might be better off with sand-sifting stars and conchs.
Old 03/08/2005, 11:43 AM
Moved On

Talking

Hey Csammis, thanks for that quick reply. Great thread you linked for me. I just finished reading it. Im at work so I have to constantley look over my shoulder for my boss so things take a little longer to do, but dangit, my reef is important! I did purchase a fighting conch last weekend but it is not doing as much as i would like it to do. Gobies would b great but I dont want to have my plate coral burried (great eater he is). I think i might have to go with one one conch and some type of star. Any suggestions guys? Wow im so happy I've started to post here! It was thanks to you guys that I got back into the hobby. THANKS!
Old 03/08/2005, 02:16 PM
Registered Member

The sand sifter you couls possibly buy is a diamond gobi or orange spotted gobi. This guy will keep you sand so clean and white.

I say get yourself a gobie, but watch out they're jumpers.

Garlic works for dogs too!
Old 03/08/2005, 10:52 PM
Moved On

Thanks guys (n' gals) for the help. My conch is not working today, maybe ill lay her off, LOL. It might seem like i will have to get a goby. What do you guys think about scooter blennies? How much of a help do you think they would be?
Old 03/09/2005, 03:26 PM
Premium Member

Scooter blennies are actually dragonetts and won't do a darn thing for sifting your sandbed. Also difficult to feed just like other dragonetts.

Be wary of sand sifting fish and stars, many are doing it to eat the beneficial microfauna from the sandbed.
Old 03/09/2005, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

rainfords goby might help out. It will sift the top layer of the sand .
Old 03/10/2005, 10:22 AM
Premium Member

My horseshoe crab has completely turned the top layer of sand in my 125 gallon. All he does is eat and turn sand. Great Sandsifter!
Old 03/10/2005, 11:12 AM
Registered Member

I am in the same situation. I have no sand sifters. I have a 55 gallon FOWLR, but the tank is not too wide and there is not a whole lot of area that is open sand. Should I still get a sand sifting star? Also how big do they get? Thanks.
Old 03/10/2005, 05:40 PM
Moved On

Cool

Sorry I took so long to reply guys, work has been, well, alot! My conch is actually doing alot but my sand is not as clean as I would like it to be. Im actually thinking about a horshoe crab, a small one at least. Then once it gets to large for the tank Ill give it away to someone who needs it.

By the way are there any reef clubs in the Souther California area? Or anyone who has some frags or something for sale or trade? I know different forum Im guessing, but you cant blame a guy for trying.

Thanks everyone
Old 03/10/2005, 06:06 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lgevoglanyan
By the way are there any reef clubs in the Souther California area? Or anyone who has some frags or something for sale or trade? I know different forum Im guessing, but you cant blame a guy for trying.
There's an entire subforum for area clubs, including at least one for southern California: http://reefcentral.com/forums/forumd...?s=&forumid=80
Old 03/10/2005, 06:14 PM
Moved On

Hey CSAMMIS, thanks for the link! Well guys after some research and reading a few (more than a few) threads, looks like a horeshoe is out for me. I just dont have much sand in my sandbed. I have less than a square foot of visible sand becuase of all my LR. Well thanks againn guys and gals.