Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/08/2005, 09:51 PM
Midnight thread lurker

I'm against the longnose hawkfish. Horror story: I had a bad bristle worm problem. The owner of the local LFS suggested a longnose, so we bought him for about $40. We had two firefish already in the tank. Soon after aclimation, the hawk spent most of his time near the firefish. About a week later he had stressed them out to death (they were jumpers, I was devastated). Long story short, too agressive fish for my liking.
I suggest that you get a firefish, great personality, love rockwork (they like to make dart holes in the rock) and have beautiful colors, but they can be somewhat shy and jumo if stressed; canopy suggested.
Old 03/09/2005, 08:56 AM
Registered Member

It sounds like it was a bad combo of fish, not necissarily a longnose hawkfish problem. Do those types a fish mix? Did the owner of the LFS know you had the firefish?
Old 03/09/2005, 12:24 PM
Midnight thread lurker

Yeah, probably a bad combo, but still, longnoses aren't held in high regard. The owner should have known, after all, he was the guy we purchased all of our fish from and he was our next door neighbor.
Old 03/09/2005, 12:27 PM
Midnight thread lurker

Still, I don't like risking it with fish that can become agressive and possibly murderous...they aren't really safe around small or similarly shaped fish.
Old 03/09/2005, 02:27 PM
Registered Member

OK so would I be OK adding a Royal Gramma and Banggai Cardinal with what I already have?
Old 03/09/2005, 04:59 PM
Midnight thread lurker

Banggai Cardinals are really neat and not agressive towards other fish. Royal Grammas are peaceful as well and love rockwork. The choice is yours but I'd personally go with the cardinal .
Old 03/09/2005, 05:00 PM
Midnight thread lurker

In short, both would go perfectly in your tank.
Old 03/09/2005, 07:51 PM
Registered Member

go wit a pair of firefish, they are really nice and generally stay small. they may jump out but...i think it's a good candidate
Old 03/09/2005, 08:09 PM
Registered Member

i vote for the gramma. nice colors, and mine is starting to come around now (only took a week, which i think is pretty fast). He's out in the open more, but still stays to the right side of the tank. i've never seen him on the left....yet. anyway, i think cardinals work best as a pair, and i'm thinking you have room for only 1 fish, considering all of the LR. I'm a noob though, so take what you will from this.
Old 03/09/2005, 08:10 PM
Registered Member

On second thought....go for this fish in my avatar, the one on the right.
Old 03/09/2005, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

You have ALL THAT ROCK!!

I'd be sorely tempted to go with a psychedelic mandarin. As soon as your cycle is over, order up 20 lbs of Garf Grunge from www.garf.org to seed your system with 10's of thousands of micro-inverts. Bio-diversity at its best.

GAH.... That rock looks awfully clean... run a copper test now! That may well determine where you end up taking your tank.... If the system is laden with copper, it may be near-impossible to ever have anything remotely resembling a reef...
I'm not talking about sps colonies, but simple mushrooms, snails, shrimp, crabs etc....

Good Luck!
Old 03/10/2005, 11:03 AM
Registered Member

Although I just got this tank, it has been set up for 5 years. And I transferred all the same water when I moved it so I wouldn't mess up the system. So I'm pretty sure I can put just about anything in without a problem!
Old 03/10/2005, 11:00 PM
Registered Member

I got my Royal Gramma today. So far he's hiding and won't come out, but I'm sure it will take him some time.
Old 03/11/2005, 01:20 AM
Registered Member

I would get either a pair of firefish or 3 pajama cardinals. The Bangaai lack color in my opinion. A Pajama Cardinal has cool red eyes and are very very very hardy (trust me.... I have one living with 2 lions and a SFE!!)

Plus they stay in the open and don't need a lot of swimming room.

The gramma is cool as well

SH