Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/07/2005, 02:47 PM
Registered Member

What is THE best reef safe fish?

I just happened to be in the right place at the right time and was GIVEN a 90 gallon reef tank for FREE this weekend! It's a beautful tank with about 400 lbs. of live rock and the following fish:

1 Flame Angel (awesome fish)
3 Blue Damsels
1 Clown fish
1 Blenny (gray)
1 Wrasse (not sure what type b/c he hides a lot)

I wanted to maybe add a couple fish of my own. What would be the best canidates with what I've already got? I want something bright and colorful. I was thinking maybe a Tang of some sort. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Old 03/07/2005, 03:38 PM
Registered Member

Sweet deal! 90 gallons w/ 400 lbs of LR? Did I read that right? I'm not sure you have enough swimming room for another fish, especially a tang.

PS - Real interested to hear how you plan on moving it to your place? How far does it need to travel? When do you plan on making the move?
Old 03/07/2005, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

I already had it moved this weekend. I paid a professional $350 to move it. It took him and his helper 6 hours to move it, but they did a fantastic job. They broke it down, transferred everything, did a thourough cleaning and equipment check, and set it back up. Well worth every penny if you ask me. (especially since everying was free anyway!)

There is literally 400 lbs. of live rock, so you might be right about not that much swimming space. That is why I was asking THE BEST reef fish, I can maybe add 1 or 2 at the most.
Old 03/07/2005, 04:05 PM
Registered Member

Besides for fairy wrasse, i like royal grammas, i got one and i dont go without seeing him atleast 98% of the day. It stays small and is a nice fish maybe that would be a good one for you.
Old 03/07/2005, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

yeah, royal grammas are beautifully colored fish, and would really appreciate all that rockwork, too. They don't need tons of swimming room, either. They aren't like Tangs.
Old 03/07/2005, 04:13 PM
Registered Member

Yea if you put a tang in all the rock work it probley wont like that to much being that they like to swim a lot. Do you know what the wrasse in there now looks like maybe it can be figured out what he is.
Old 03/07/2005, 04:19 PM
Registered Member

A Royal Gramma might work nicely! Any other suggestions? I already have an Angel so I can't add another one. And I don't think I have enough swimming room for any sort of tang. I was thinking about a Copperband Butterfly or some sort of Goby maybe?
Old 03/07/2005, 04:23 PM
Registered Member

Maybe a pair of neon or gold gobys. Maybe this i dont have one but have heard a lot of them like to dig so not sure how good that will be with all that rock(a watchman goby).The cobberband butterfly you can go with it but a lot of them are very hard to get to eat if they ever start eating.
Old 03/07/2005, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

I have a royal gramma. He's pretty new (1 week) and he hides a lot. He quickly scoped out a place for himself, and hangs out there all day except for feeding time. Not much of a swimmer like my clowns. If another fish comes in his place, he'll leave the area. Then once that fish leaves, he returns. Not sure what happens yet when another fish comes in and does not leave. hmm.....

Anyway, yes, a pretty fish. I would recommend one, plus a lot of hermits and snails. I can just imagine the algae breakout that is BOUND to happen....

Do you have any inverts at all in there? They're the most interesting sometimes.
Old 03/07/2005, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Kjmst29,

Your Royal gramma must be paranoid then. Mine dont run it for nothing. Even when the bigger fish come by him or try to chase him out of there spots he just swims where he wants till he chooses to move.
Old 03/07/2005, 04:46 PM
Team RC Member

he just got it, it needs time to settle down. mine was paranoid for about six months to a year, hid all the time. but now, about 8 years later, he is out all the time. in the last 3 years, he has been out of the reef tank and in a FOWLR containing tang, harlequin tusk, emperor angel, soapfish, etc. not scared, but cautious when he needs to be. BTW, this has become a BIG royal gramma!
Old 03/07/2005, 04:48 PM
Premium Member

I like clownfish

Where's your will to be weird?
Old 03/07/2005, 04:49 PM
Registered Member

I don't want anything fragile or hard to keep so I guess I better stear clear of the butteryfly family.

I also want to get some invertebrates, but I need to ID the Wrasse I have first b/c he might eat them. My girlfriend is dying to get a starfish and i wouldn't mind some peppermint shrimp or something.
Old 03/07/2005, 04:50 PM
Registered Member

Well that is the thing ive had mine in my main tank for about 2 weeks now and Had it in Qt for 5 weeks. He has been active in the qt tank and in the main so i guess mine is just special.
Old 03/07/2005, 04:52 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PuffersKick
I don't want anything fragile or hard to keep so I guess I better stear clear of the butteryfly family.

I also want to get some invertebrates, but I need to ID the Wrasse I have first b/c he might eat them. My girlfriend is dying to get a starfish and i wouldn't mind some peppermint shrimp or something.

Well not all butterflys are hard to keep most are just not totaly reef safe. If you can get a picture someone will most likely be able to id it.
Old 03/07/2005, 05:26 PM
The only GreenMako

Peppermints will eat zoos...Im not sure if you have any corals in that tank but that is something to keep in mind. Also, find out what kind of wrasse you have. If it one of the more belligerant ones it might not tolerate a Royal Gramma. I like the idea of a gramma too, or a pseudo...but it will definately be your last fish if you add a pseudochromis. =)

300Gal SPS tank
Old 03/07/2005, 06:01 PM
Registered Member

if u really wanted a tang ur can tak som rock out n add som to ur fo tank but if not i lik clowns i hav a pair of marroons n they jsut keep gettin big lol also i hav a gramma very active to my surprise mine if wierd n only sleeps in the rock work other than that we swims w/ my tang wierd but great color AGRESSIVE w/ somthin that looks lik it (long skinny) lol

good luck
Old 03/07/2005, 06:53 PM
Registered Member

Here is my Wrasse. Could someone please help me identify which kind this is and his temperment regarding invertebrates. Thanks.
Old 03/07/2005, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

LisaD, let's see a pic of that BIG gramma!

I was thinking about peppermint shrimp, but a few people recommended cleaner shrimp to me. Consider it.
Old 03/07/2005, 07:21 PM
Registered Member

Didn't see him in my book. The closest was the candycane wrasse. Can grow to 15 inches, generally hardy, may jump out of tank, buries itself at night.
Old 03/08/2005, 09:35 AM
Registered Member

If you have a pretty good population of pods, I think a dragonet would be a great candidate for a tank with that much rock. One of the best looking fish, too. If your rocks are not completely infested with pods, get yourself a starter culture from somewhere and give it some time.
Old 03/08/2005, 05:35 PM
Registered Member

OK, I've narrowed my search to the following 4 fish.

1. Royal Gramma - haven't really found any cons about this guy other than he might be shy and hide alot

2. Hanggai Cardinal -seems like a easy fish and has a cool unusual shape

3. Longnose Hawkfish - same as cardinal

4. Mandarin - beautiful, but sounds hard to keep. i read it only eats live food which is a pain so I'm leaning against this one...

Which would be the best addition to my tank? And could add more than one of these fish without overstocking. I think they all stay relatively small

Thanks.
Old 03/08/2005, 06:07 PM
Generic Member

Another vote for the Royal Gramma. Beauty of a fish and very cheap. Best bang for the $$ out there. Mine hid for a little while but is always out now. I'd get rid of some of that rock. 400# is way too much for a 90G. Got a pic of the whole tank?
Old 03/08/2005, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

assuming you meant
Banggai Cardinal...
Old 03/08/2005, 07:59 PM
Registered Member

I'm also very interested in purchasing a longnose hawkfish. Cool looking fish. If you research this one, please post any/all info you find. I'm still at least 3 weeks away...

About the mandarin, I do not have one, but I have heard they only eat live food also. And I've heard you need the tank to be set up for at least 6 months and your water should be pristine.