Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/08/2008, 08:55 PM
Registered Member

Lighting for 65 G

Hello all,
setting up a 65 G reef and have never had a tank that deep. Was wondering what some suggestions were for lighting in it. I am planning at least one 175W MH and am wondering if 2 are necessary. Will also have 2-4 VHO's depending on what I do with the MH's.

Also, What would you suggest for water movement in the tank?

I plan on both SPS and LPS corals.

Thanks for your time!!
Old 01/08/2008, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

Also, is a 15 gallon sump large enough for this set up? Or do I need something a little larger that will fit in the 36x18 stand?
Old 01/08/2008, 09:25 PM
Premium Member

I have an 65g AGA, w/ 2x 250w MH and 2 x 95w VHO--seems OK.
I use a tunze 6100 and 6060 for flow--it's good flow.
I would go w/ as large of sump as you can, but the AGA stand is unaccommodating.
Could a 20H fit? I have my sump behind the stand--it's acrylic and will not fit inside stand.
Old 01/08/2008, 09:32 PM
NGC 4414 [60million ly]

ditto wrott on the lighting - I'd go up to 2X250 if you're going to keep SPS. Aquamedic makes some great MH/T5 combos:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merch...=Oceanlight-T5
Old 01/08/2008, 09:50 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info....is there anywhere that I can go to look at dimensions of tanks? AGA's web page or something I guess I will try. I will put a couple 175's in there with the VHO's I guess. 250's just seems like a lot to me, I have had a bad experience with a 250 bleaching everything out that I put in there....
Old 01/08/2008, 10:08 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the info....is there anywhere that I can go to look at dimensions of tanks? AGA's web page or something I guess I will try. I will put a couple 175's in there with the VHO's I guess. 250's just seems like a lot to me, I have had a bad experience with a 250 bleaching everything out that I put in there....
Old 01/08/2008, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

http://www.beldtsaquarium.com/index_files/beldts.htm
Old 01/09/2008, 08:43 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the help all...I am hoping to pick up the tank on Friday and get the lighting and filtration completed by the end of the weekend.....also looking for a 20 gallon long for the sump......anyone have any suggestions for the setup of the sump...was thinking

Overflow-skimmer-miracle mud and chaeto-return pump....

Was also thinking that I might just do LR instead of the miracle mud...someone said that the mud increased the cyanobacteria....any thoughts on that?