Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/03/2007, 10:22 AM
Team RC Member

khoivo1 - I think the Powermodule would be just fine for a tank of your dimensions. My tank is 60" long and I get good light penetration to even the sides of the tank despite the fact that the fixture is only 48" long. I don't think another 3" would matter too much, as long as you don't plan on having clams or SPS at the bottom side edges of your tank. You won't need a 10-lamp unit since your tank is 24" deep, probably an 8-lamp unit would be perfect.

RoBolton - I'm a huge fan of the spotted cheek tang but fear it would be too many in this tank. When I upgrade that's the first tang I plan to add. I'm going to stay away from angels for now, even though they are incredibly beautiful. Thanks for the suggestions.

My CBB didn't eat last night, which is a first since it's been in the tank. I'll admit, I'm more than a little worried. It was swimming just fine and there's nothing on the body to suggest an obvious infection, but it normally attacks the food.
Old 12/03/2007, 11:09 AM
I brake for sps

You should let me stock your tank with fish! I always had pretty fish in my tank. ha!

Happy Holidays Dudester, we should get together with John for some good sushi in the future.

Clint
Old 12/03/2007, 11:18 AM
Team RC Member

Whoa, welcome back Clint! I understand CONGRATULATIONS are in order. Are you still allowed to go out for sushi? If so then I believe it's on me this time. I'll call you soon, and Happy Holidays to you as well my friend.
Old 12/03/2007, 07:42 PM
Team RC Member

Despite how it pains me, I must report the good and the bad, and I now have the worst news of this tank's young 3 months. The CBB died today. I knew this would happen when it didn't eat last night, but when I saw it upright and in almost no distress this morning I was hoping for a rebound. I had it for just over 6 weeks, and it was over 2 months in captivity when I got it, so it couldn't have been attributable to cyanide. I can't believe how incredibly bummed I am about this loss. I know this is a difficult fish to keep, but I really hoped I would beat the odds. This was truly a gorgeous fish. Did I mention I'm really bummed?
Old 12/03/2007, 07:53 PM
clownfish fan

sorry dude
Old 12/03/2007, 07:56 PM
Keeper of the Hair Algae

Dude

Sorry to hear about the CBB. Beautiful fish, but I am very sheepish about trying one. I have found butterflies to be the most difficult fish for me to acclimate. I had a heinocus d. for almost two years that perished in a bout with ick after the move. Went through two in QT who looked great for weeks then just did the sudden death thing. I now have another through QT and in the display doing well. With hard to acclimate fish, you just have to choose the ones worth the effort (in your own opinion), be as diligent as you can, and be prepared for some disappointment.
Old 12/03/2007, 11:20 PM
Premium Member

Yo dude- buy another one. They are replaceable.

Look at Dallis and his countless attempts at a Powder blue. Don't let it get you down.

GMF
Old 12/03/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

Keep your head up!!!
Old 12/04/2007, 12:02 AM
Team RC Member

Thanks, everyone, for your condolences. I'll take a break from this fish for a little while. Some of the fish on my wish list should be arriving in Austin soon, so hopefully I'll have new additions to focus on. Speaking of new additions, I did get a few things over the weekend, but since I don't have any photos I'll wait to tell/show what I got.
Old 12/04/2007, 12:41 AM

I feel for ya. I had the same thing happen with two naso tangs, and decided they just weren't my bag. You guys are all scaring me though, since my CBB has been doing so well. But I don't feed mine anything special either. It gets what it gets. I have thought about putting him into the overflow to mow down my aiptasia "filter"!
Old 12/04/2007, 12:57 AM
Registered Member

Man that sucks. I hear so many horror stories about them.

Look forward to your new additions and updates.

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 12/04/2007, 01:37 AM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear about the CBB....I know how it feels....

The failures make the successes all the sweeter...

Nick
Old 12/04/2007, 02:45 PM
Team RC Member

Thanks guys, feeling better already.
Old 12/04/2007, 05:21 PM
I brake for sps

You should add a few engineer gobys to your tank. Mine survived my “special acclimation” if you remember. You might also try a school of domino damsels.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:36 AM
Registered Member

WOW I just read this whole thing.Your tank is turning out realy nice. I love the rim less tanks, I wish I would have known about them before I bought mine.Sorry to hear about your CBB weird that he just stoped eating and died the next day.I like your fish list other than the yellow tank everybody has one of those so I would maybe try a Chocolate Tank or a Brown Scopas Tang or my fav an Achilles and if your going to have little fish I would get ALL of them in first then add the tangs.I've seen some tangs be realy nasty to other fish.I had a Blue Hippo tang pick on a Niger trigger so the tang had to go back and didn't survive the way back to the store so there went 40 bucks. Thats just my 2 cents, tank looks great .
Old 12/06/2007, 09:38 PM
Team RC Member

fishypets - If a fish could survive in your tank, there's absolutely no reason I can't keep even the most fragile species. BTW, I asked the RC Mods to use your acclimation technique as a "sticky" but they wouldn't go for it .

SaltwaterChris - Thanks a lot for your comments. I agree with you completely about the yellow tang, but it's the only fish my wife specifically wants in the tank, so in it goes. Besides, I know they are very common, but they're hardy and I actually think they're quite pretty. The yellow provides a nice contrast against the other colors in the tank, as there aren't a lot of yellow corals. I also appreciate your advice about adding the small fish first. I'm counting on the smaller fish being able to escape the harrassment of the tangs by hiding in the small nooks and caves. Again, thanks for your comments and please feel free to chime in with more good advice.
Old 12/06/2007, 09:53 PM

Another interesting aspect of the yellow tang is that it will fade in color if the water quality suffers. While they are hardy and will last through most crisis, they will broadcast that there is a probem too.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:45 PM
Team RC Member

Very interesting, Jonathan, I've never heard or read that before.
Old 12/06/2007, 11:51 PM

I have seen it numerous times. When I see a yellow tank with a pale belly and pale sides, I can easily assume that the nitrates are very elevated. No scientific claim here, but just my observation.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:07 AM
Registered Member

Way better than fading anytime a yellow shows red streaking that definitely means that your water quality is suffering. In fact, it's a sticky in the fish disease forum.
Old 12/07/2007, 12:13 AM

I have only seen the red streak once, and that was on a truly foul tank.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:42 AM
Registered Member

what was the result of your OM problem? Are you now able to go full throttle with your new drum?

I'm asking becuase i have had the same problem and have been running drumless for about a month now.

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forum...readid=1265471

I'm also running a cuda on a CL and have a powermodule.
Old 12/07/2007, 09:56 AM
Team RC Member

Good fish info, thanks guys.

ch0daboy - The problem with my OM was that sand would enter around the drum and prevent it from spinning. Paul send me a modified drum with a slightly narrower diameter, which allows a small amount of sand to enter the chamber around the drum without completely halting the drum's rotation. This has solved the problem entirely. I don't run my 'cuda full bore, only about 80%, because if I open it up all the way, water would splash out over the top of the tank. Oh yeah, and nice choice of equipment!
Old 12/08/2007, 04:00 PM
Premium Member

Dude-

Lets see some pics of the new additions!
Old 12/08/2007, 07:10 PM
Team RC Member

Hey Marcus, sorry but I haven't had a chance to get any pics. Shoot, I still haven't even photographed what I got at the coral farm last weekend. I'll get on it soon. So everyone else knows, Marcus and Dallis hooked me up with some sweet frags yesterday. THANKS A MILLION!! They're all doing well so far, although the efflo has had a little die-off. I hope it's not STN and that there will be enough living tissue for it to ultimately do well. Fingers crossed!