Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03/09/2005, 11:50 PM
Registered Member

Dwarf lionfish ?

I've always wanted one but have been told different things. Two LFS's in my area said I could have one in my tank with no probelm and the other said no. Someone I work with has one in their tank with lots of fish and said they don't have a probelm either.
I thought I'd ask here and see what ya'll had to say about it.

I have a 60g reef with two clowns, 1 six line wrasse, 1 kole tang, 1 horseshoe crab, 1 emerald green crab, several snails & other crabs, pearl bubble, colt, toadstool, pulsing xenia, hammer, and mushrooms galore.
Old 03/10/2005, 12:10 AM
Registered Member

i'm tagging along because i would like one and a snowflake eel in a reef, but i'm worried about my inverts and smaller fish. i think all the small fish, shrimp, crabs, snails, etc. make the reef really interesting and lively. as much as i want a lion, i value the life of all those other creatures too....so i'm curious as to what people say.
Old 03/10/2005, 01:14 AM
Registered Member

A Dwarf Lion can eat what fits in their mouth, lions are fast growers so it will eventually grow to eat the clowns and smaller fish. And it will grow faster than most fish.
I have a dwarf here that a guy had in his tank with smaller fish for a year and one day he came home and all his fish were gone.

I dont have any problem with lions and snails but any crabs, shrimps and I would say the six line may have problems. I have not had any problems with my lions in a reef tank.

Read this lion info sheet it will help & it's full of great info.
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/

Kaye
Old 03/10/2005, 08:48 AM
Registered Member

I've had a dwarf lion with my six line, pair of percs, flame angel, mandarin and various shrimps for well over a year with no problems - I would say the lion could easily have eaten the shrimps and the mandarin and probably the clowns by now. I think the key is to keep the lion well fed...Then again I suppose I could get back home tonight to find a fat lion and no fish!
Old 03/10/2005, 12:08 PM
10 & Over Club

CDP- a dwarf lion will be fine in your reeftank, but just remember these are predatory fish and can/may/will eat anything that fits into their mouths. So while they won't bother corals, they might limit what else you put into your tank.
Dwarf fuzzies or dwarf lions will grow to somewhere around 4-6" over the next yr or so. from the sounds of your tank almost everything should be safe (the 6line and emeralds might be questionable)
The big problem w/ lions in a busy reftank is that they will require live foods for a while then you can wean them onto prepared foods. These lions at first will NOT compete successfully w/ your fast swimmers for food, and could potential have food issues.
Please read the lionfish info sheeet at linked above
frank
Old 03/10/2005, 04:51 PM
The only GreenMako

Ive got one in a reef tank too, and a LFS here in town also does. No problems yet. Keep it well fed though.

300Gal SPS tank
Old 03/10/2005, 07:00 PM
Registered Member

I've been researching them but still had to ask.
When I was really thinking about getting one, one of the LFS's claim to have CB ones. I was in there one day during feeding time and it was eating flakes along with brine.
Hmmm, I don't know! I really would like one but I'd die if I came home and Flo and Omen(my clowns) were gone.