Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 08/24/2006, 07:17 AM
Proud Father

Thank you for the shots of your equipment...VERY NICE!!! I contacted the people that made your aquarium over a month ago and they still have not replied to my request.

Mike
Old 08/24/2006, 07:23 AM
Registered Member

looking great!
Old 08/24/2006, 07:54 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by MacnReef
Thank you for the shots of your equipment...VERY NICE!!! I contacted the people that made your aquarium over a month ago and they still have not replied to my request.

Mike
I know that they are super busy due to MCNA, but still no excuse for no reply. Last time I talked to them, they already took like 3 more orders for exact same dimension tank like mine. I'll forward this message to Jaime today. Thanks for the compliment.

James
Old 08/24/2006, 01:26 PM
See if you can pingaso it

Is it normal practice for them to make the bottom of all their tanks from pvc ?
Old 08/24/2006, 02:48 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jman77
Is it normal practice for them to make the bottom of all their tanks from pvc ?
I posted this earlier in my thread.
"Highest concentration of forces in a tank are going to be on the bottom / lower sides as opposed to the top. (Weight of water, hydrostatic pressure, etc).
Much of the purpose of bracing on standard tanks is to prevent bowing of the glass.

Contruction method deals with most of this.
The bottom is PVC (i.e. plastic) and has a groove routed in it for the glass."

Aquarium Environments has guaranteed my tank, so I'm pretty happy about it. However, I have no idea how long or will it last longer than glass. I guess we have to wait and see.

James
Old 08/24/2006, 03:39 PM
TRC Leader

Very nice James. Everything is high-end, state of the art stuff.

Can you go into detail about your saltwater mixing system? I see the RO/DI and the booster pump. The resevoir looks like a freshwater holding tank. If you mix it in there, how is it plumbed? How often do you have to clean it out, and how would you?

Your tank looks nice, and the colors are popping. In addition, you seem to be acquiring corals we don't normally see, which is pretty sweet.
Old 08/24/2006, 05:39 PM
Premium Member

Hi Marc, it's funny that you're the first person to ask that question b/c I think it's one the key component part my reef setup. I have to thank jdieck for helping me come up w/ this setup.

RO/DI product water splits into 3 outputs all controlled by ball valve.
1 - Freshwater RO/DI tank
2 - Saltwater mixing tank
3 - Drain

I always manually drain my product water for about 5 min or until TDS reads 0 b/c of the creep. Then fill both tanks which takes about 8 hours. Both tanks have float valves, but after it fills up, I manually shut it off by vall valves.

Fresh RO/DI tank is used for auto topoff via Litermeter 3 to Kalk reactor then to my sump. I have it on reverse light schedule b/c of PH fluctuation at night.

Saltwater mixing tank has small panworld pump for mixing salt. I have it plumbed so it drains into my sump using eheim hose. That way I can drain it straight into my drain if I need to clean the tank. I also have a drain for my sump for water change.

You're welcome to come by my place and see it person on Sept. 22 weekend.

James
Old 08/24/2006, 07:20 PM
TRC Leader

Wow, that would be awesome. Since I'm driving, I actually have the ability to drive around a little, but to be honest I tend to stay at the conference hotel at each MACNA. Maybe if it isn't too far away, I could swing by. I bet there are a few killer tanks in the Houston club.

I'm hoping that MARSH will have a slide show of club member tanks running when speakers aren't talking, with their online username displayed. That would be really neat.

So how do you go about cleaning out a tall container like your saltwater mixing chamber? A garden hose and muriatic acid? The hole doesn't look big enough to reach in very far.
Old 08/24/2006, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by naka
Hey E. remember this Japanese website "Splash"?

You keep posting those Japanese crap, you know that I'm going to find a way to get it.

James
LOL!! Im right behind you!
Old 08/24/2006, 09:22 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey E. remember this Japanese website "Splash"?

You keep posting those Japanese crap, you know that I'm going to find a way to get it.

James
in that link there, is there any way to get the page in english?
Old 08/25/2006, 08:18 AM
Frugal Reefer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by naka
[B]Thanks guys, here's some updated pics. My auto topoff is copy of Jdieck. Jose helped me w/ this setup. Feel free to ask any questions.

James

Spectrapure RO/DI w/ booster pump and Saltwater mixing tank

Maybe an odd question, but is your top off setup outside? It looks like it is mounted to siding.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!
Old 08/25/2006, 10:54 AM
Premium Member

Hi Rich, no it's inside my sump room. It used to be a utility room, but I converted it. My house was built in 1937, so most of the rooms and doors don't look modern.

James
Old 08/26/2006, 03:08 PM
Registered Member

naka i asked earlier but mabye u did not see. I was woundering where u got the lighting controls from. Thanks.
Old 08/26/2006, 05:15 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by lennyd19
naka i asked earlier but mabye u did not see. I was woundering where u got the lighting controls from. Thanks.
Sorry Lenny, I got the lights from Aquarium Obsessed Ask for Will about Naka's light setup.

AO also has fourm here in RC. AO Forum in RC

James
Old 08/26/2006, 07:07 PM
Premium Member

just taggin along!
Old 08/26/2006, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

ty naka.
your setup is awsome!
Old 08/26/2006, 09:10 PM

naka, how much does one of those saltwater mixing tanks cost?
Old 08/27/2006, 07:11 AM
Premium Member

I got it from www.plastic-mart.com for $60. Mine is only 40 gal. but they come in all kinds of sizes.

James
Old 08/27/2006, 07:12 AM

Quote:
I got it from www.plastic-mart.com for $60. Mine is only 40 gal. but they come in all kinds of sizes.

James
Wow, they have a lot of stuff. Is your 40 gal perfect or do you wish you could of gone bigger?
Old 08/27/2006, 08:06 AM
Premium Member

The top opening needs to be bigger, but the size is perfect. For your tank, you need a larger tank w/ bigger cap.
Old 08/27/2006, 08:16 AM
On hobby time out!

Nice set up. What in the world is this in your picture below????

Old 08/27/2006, 08:40 AM
Premium Member

Hi dgasmd. ACLS basically controls my lights. I love the fact that I come home one day and my tank is little darker on one side or both. It freaked me out at first, but I realized that the ACLS was similating cloudy days. My MH output was like 60%, it looks really cool. Here what the website says about ACLS:

What is the ACLS system?

(Advanced Control Lighting System )

ACLS is an electronic dimmer, patented by SFILIGOI, which can reproduce the sunset-sunrise effect by using HQI lamps. ACLS allows gradual lighting and darkening from 0 to 100% and vice versa throughout the day.

What are the benefits and advantages of ACLS system?

ACLS satisfies all the requirements that many experts in the aquarium field feel are necessary for optimal aquarium lighting. It can reproduce a natural lighting flow: in this way the fish and corals in the aquarium grow in an environment very similar to their natural habitat.

ACLS can reproduce the natural biologic cycle of the sun, day/night and the seasons inside the aquarium: so the passage from daylight to dusk is very gradual and consequently there is no shock for the animals and invertebrates.

During the sunrise-sunset phases the dimmer reduces the power the lamp absorbs and consequently allows high energy savings in comparison with common ferromagnetic reactors with a 92% rent.

The electronic dimmer keeps the light output extremely stable to avoid flickering problems even when using worn out bulbs (250 Hz using squared wave). You have the possibility to use older bulbs with fairly good light output (the bulb duration increases to 30-40%). Further, after the tension falls, ACLS allows turning on of the lamp reducing the time by 50% in comparison with common ferromagnetic reactor.

Experts in the aquarium field agree that the creation of natural conditions of the sun and moon light, and in particular that of the moon phases, could help the reproduction of aquarium inhabitants, especially invertebrates.

Features of the ACLS:

* Control the duration of the sunrise-sunset effect
* Control the duration of the maximum light output (“midday”)
* Moonlight control
* Latitude
* Longitude
* Cloudy days
* Reduction of light output
* Reduction of lamp power (for new bulbs and break in)
* Standard timer for HQI lamps (output relay)
* Timer for actinic tubes (output relay)
* Timer for moonlights (using a suitable bulb)
* Electronic starter reduces the weight of the lamp by 4/8 kg.
* Energy savings

* Thanks to the "AUTO" option ACLS can automatically increase lighting output as we approach the summer season and reduce output when approaching the winter season.

* With the use of at least 2 Hqi Bulbs one can obtain a special effect in your aquarium. You can have the SUNRISE effect on the EAST and the SUNSET effect on the WEST (total photoperiod).

* With ACLS you can adjust the bulb output (and reduce shock to animals) when new lamps are installed. The "NEW" function reduces power of the bulb and will increase it gradually day by day till maximum power is achieved.

James
Old 08/27/2006, 09:06 AM

Do you feed the Japanese anemone? Does it react like any other anemone?
Old 08/27/2006, 09:11 AM

James, do you have a pic of the tank with only the T5's on? And the moonlights too.
Old 08/27/2006, 09:18 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
Do you feed the Japanese anemone? Does it react like any other anemone?
I feed it about 2 times a week, Sometimes more. The food just sticks to it's tenticles, just like my rose anemone.

Quote:
Originally posted by invincible569
James, do you have a pic of the tank with only the T5's on? And the moonlights too.
I'll posted it later tonight. I don't have any at the moment.

James