Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04/24/2007, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Hi, H20ENG, my O3 sniffing friend... lol

You are right about that, the same thing happen in the mediteranium sea with caulerpa algea.

The snails, the seawater, the ermit crabs, and many other things that came as hitchhikers (fitoplankton and zooplancton and others larvae) came from the same place, the propabilities of a disease or parasites infectation is minimal, matter afect i'm more insecure of live stock/water diseases from the local shop then from the natural ecossistem, until this day, in thousands of marine/reef tanks no one had any problem about parasites or deseases.

Using natural seawater it' a normal and natural thing were i live for many, many years, almost everyone use it with great benefits, it's near, free... and it's the real thing.
Some people change 10% to 20% of tank water every weekend, saving money on mineral suplements, you can call it Live Water in comparation to artificial sea salt...lol, it's amazing to see the corals polips wide open betewen a water change... amazing!

Best Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 04/24/2007, 07:57 PM
Ozone Sniffer

I'm glad you are responsible. Unfortunately many people do not realize the effect they can cause to the ocean, and thus my comments.
You are right about NSW! Its the best!

"Be sure and wear a speedo lest tangs nest in your britches"
Old 04/24/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by erics3000
Can you get some more pics of how you open your tank. Really cool tank..
Hi erics3000

here's a pic of the tank cover:

All the best

Vitor Pestana
Old 04/24/2007, 08:22 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

Your access to the ocean is enviable, especially temperate water!We get over to the Pacific coast occasionally, but the water is too cold to obtain specimens viable in our systems.
Old 04/24/2007, 08:48 PM
Registered Member

Not a beautiful tank, but the country is beautiful. Wow your a lucky man. Nice to see you repect the environment you live in.

Got any updates, or more pics of your set up?
Old 04/24/2007, 08:52 PM
Registered Member

Ooops... I meant not only a beautiful, so sorry vitor, just a typo
Old 04/24/2007, 09:45 PM
Registered Member

Hi guys

petedoc

We have the same problem with temperature, but you can colect the species in the low tides podles, all the living forms must be adapt to a high temperature caused by the sun.

I prefer the lagon type specimens, the temperature are almost the same of ours tanks.

To me, the most beautiful hermits crabs came from the Portuguese Azores Islands, in the midlle of the atlantic ocean, one of the most beautiful places in the world:

www.azores.com

chris wright

My country is in fact beautiful, but nothing compares to yours... Australia beats everything from land to sea, one day i'll visit your contry.

Best Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 04/24/2007, 10:20 PM
Assistant to the Kahuna

The Azores look like a spectacular place and you have ocean life to boot. I believe it is a place seldom visited by Americans. I have been to Hawaii many times but would love to see some of the islands of the Mediterranean, Caribbean, and Atlantic. So many reefs, little time.
Old 04/24/2007, 10:20 PM
Premium Member

That is a great acomplishment, makes me wish I lived somewhere like that. Great Job!!
Old 04/25/2007, 01:15 AM
Registered Member

Well I hope you get the chance to come to Australia Vitor. Plan your trip well though, there's alot to see, very overwhelming sometimes, We are in a drought at the moment, but when it rains again that would be the best time to come

You could go snorkling and see the big version of your tank of the Queensland coast
Old 04/25/2007, 03:04 AM
Registered Member

Great tank, it really is something special.

I'm still curious about the tank cover. It looks like only that small raised portion of the tank is removable. How did you manage to mount your corals or grab all the snails which were probably all over your tank?

Instead of us side-view tank owners who can sit in a chair and peer into our tanks I imagine you checking out your tank by laying on the ground with your chest pressed up against the glass. .
Old 04/25/2007, 07:52 AM
Registered Member

hi guys.

Chris Wright, that's a promesse, i would love to see the great coral reef barrier, it must be a breath taking view!!!

jun41, You're right, that is in fact the only parte that is removable, i manage to put the live rock and corals in place by reaching out with my arm throw the opening, but i use use the "claw", i don´t like to wet my hands.

Best Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 04/25/2007, 09:27 AM
eating my reef

Great job Vitor! I cant wait to see what kind of growth and coloration you get as the system becomes more stable.

Keep up the good work!
Old 04/25/2007, 02:38 PM
Registered Member

Thanks Vitor

Man does everyone here want to have like 5 different tanks like me. Now i want one out side. Do you have any pics at the beginning phases.

Thanks for sharing..

(Red House for my 425 system)
Old 04/25/2007, 02:48 PM
Registered Member

Such an amazingly good idea ! Congratulations on your beautiful project !
Old 04/25/2007, 07:27 PM
Registered Member

Hi eric.

I don't have any pic from the beginning, what i have it's in the first page of this thread... sorry.

It's very simple, first you must define the tank size, holes, close loops, sump house location, but the most importante thing is the tank location, if you live in the North Hemisphere the tank must be turned South.

If you or someone else have a certain detail doubt about the tank, you can make the question by post in this thread, or reach me on the MSN (messeger) vmlp@netvisao.pt

Righting all these steps from the beginning it's a daunting task for me to do in my bad english...

Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 04/26/2007, 03:09 AM
Registered Member

Just to o make it clear I have no doubt..It is all and going..Proff enough. Just love it soo much and wanting to get as much info as possible. Great job...
Old 04/26/2007, 05:17 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by B.friend
That is awesome, Thats not going to be happening here in oregon but I wish. Good job for doing somthing new
I do not see why you can'y do this in the Northwest. It would just have to be in a south facing sun room. In that way you get the benifit of natural sunlight but can do it in a controled envirment to maintain temp and avoid rain caused salinity issues. You might need to supliment in the winter with some artifitial lighting though.
Old 04/26/2007, 05:26 PM
Registered Member

oops
Old 04/26/2007, 06:20 PM
Registered Member

This is just amazing. Great work vitor. Thats all I can say, just breathtaking. Glad to see you being responsible as well. I agree on the nsw; its the only way to go in my opinion.
Old 04/27/2007, 01:37 AM
El Jefe de WRS

Wow... that is cool.
Old 04/27/2007, 03:05 AM
Registered Member

Hi vitor,

If you do get a chance to see the Great Barrier Reef, make sure you go to Cairns or further north of Cairns, apparently thats the best.

Just curious to know what your tank looks like under a full moon. I know a lot of people try to mimic this, but your prime position would be ideal. If you think of it and us following your thread, would you mind taking some photo's of your tank at night, on or near a full moon? I cant even imagine how beautiful your tank would look.

Thanks mate, cheers.

Chris.
Old 04/27/2007, 06:32 AM
Registered Member

Hi Chris!

That's a deal, the complet full moon is between the 01 and 03 of May, i'll try to take some pics at that time.

Regards

Vitor Pestana
Old 04/27/2007, 01:06 PM
TANK RAIDER!

Just plain sick great stuff
Old 04/27/2007, 03:30 PM
Premium Member

Great tank Vitor, I enjoyed looking at all your pics. I live close to Dallas, Texas, and if I was to attempt a similar setup...well let's just say we'd be eating seafood a lot during the summer :P. Btw, do you know what species of hermit crab the one in the first picture is with the red and white dotted claw? It's beautiful.