Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Invert and Plant Forums > Cephalopods
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01/15/2001, 08:36 PM
Registered Member

Wink

I am really glad to see this forum. My cephalopod tank is nearing the end of its break in period - just some residual algae growth that I am trying to get rid of. It's hard when you can't have snails, herbivores, etc., cause you know your cephalopod is going to munch on all of them.

I'll bo ordering Mr. Ceph with the next week of two.

Old 01/16/2001, 12:35 AM
Registered Member

What kind are you going to get? I've considered a cuttlefish but haven't been able to find one locally.
Old 01/17/2001, 09:24 PM
Registered Member

Well I was going to order a captive raised Bimaculoides from Cephsource but apparently they are out of stock. I think she said they are out of everything, but I am waiting for a response.

Cephsource may sell cuttlefish:
http://www.sealifeaquarium.com/cephsource/

This is great for information:
http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/index.html
Old 01/26/2001, 10:09 AM
Reef God

Rinaldi...

Did you end up getting one? I think I'm going to try an ocotpus in the next couple of weeks in a 10gal, probably a joubini. Any insights on whether feeding it crayfish, goldfish, cocktail shrimp will be sufficient? For their "caverns" what type of rock should be used? I'm assuming smaller light pieces since they like to rearrange things?

Nick
Old 01/26/2001, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

I think a 10g will be too small even for a dwarf.

To see my experience keeping an octopus, see http://www.fishroom.com/capno.html

Adam Woods
Founder,
http://www.fishroom.com
Old 01/27/2001, 08:24 AM
Registered Member

Unfortunately I didn't order yet because Cephsource is out of captive raised Octopus Bimaculoides and won't return my calls or e-mails regarding availability. My LFS says they will order me a caribbean species for $30, but many have said that its a tough time of year (winter) for both capture and shipping. This morning I spent a couple hours checking out the available species and sources at the following link:

http://is.dal.ca/~ceph/TCP/sources.html

Crayfish and goldfish are tempting because they are so readily available, and I did do that with my first octopus ten years ago. Rob Toonen (Biogeek) advises against feeding these freshwater animals to an Octopus. I think he said it is like eating a Big Mac every day - high in certain fats. Even our cephs have to be diet conscious. Cocktail shrimp (I assume raw) are okay, but the Ceph may not take it initially if it was captured from the wild.

I have a large tank set up for mine - 75g w/ live rock - with a 30g sump and a skimmer for oxygen production. I would be really concerned about a 10g because they need room to roam, need highly oxygenated water, and create alot of waste. My original was in a 30g tank, which seemed about right.

Apparently you don't always get a O. joubini if you order one because they are confused with other species. I am looking for a larger species, such as O. vulgaris or o. bimaculoides.

I just have live rock in the tank - small and large. I'm going to trust the octopus not to crush himself. They are smart and elastic. I am also going to hot glue two powerheads to the glass so that he doesn't pull them off the wall and spray everything.

What are you doing to seal in yours? I haven't decided on the lid yet, but it will probably involve acrylic cut perfectly and weighted or taped down. To my knowledge my first octopus never tried to escape and I had used the duct tape method.

Keep me posted!

Adam - Nice pictures. Is the Blue Ring yours?

[Edited by Rinaldi on 01-27-2001 at 07:30 AM]
Old 04/16/2005, 09:46 PM
Registered Member

I have a cuttlefish!!!Sepia bandesis....
Old 04/18/2005, 08:46 PM
Registered Member

i agree, a 10 gal. would be a little cramped even for a pygmy. If the tank is small the temptation for the octo to try and escape is greater, and since they pretty much can do whatever they set their mind to, the best thing to do is make them content by giving them a big enough tank. If you were to get a 20 gal. it would be sufficient for that species, and if space is a problem, you could try getting a 20 xtra high, which has the same base dimensions as a 10 gal.

depending on the species, the octos can make their own caves or dens. MY octo made a den underneath the largest peice of live rock i have by just digging out underneath it, which other octos do as well. So giving them a wide array of rock types and sizes, maybe even digging a fe ditches or holes to get them started will make them feel very comfortalbe and adjust well.

Good luck!