Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06/18/2003, 11:59 PM
Registered Member

angels i n the reef?

would like to hear post about people with large angels such as the emperor regal majestic...etc..that are in a reeef tank with corals

i have read many article by terry siegl and would like to hear other opinions

will a angel ussually stick to one type of coral if it will eat corals....
i am looking at a majestic..red sea regal..emperor angel, and three spot angel for my reef

what are you though or experiances on these fish? i have seen many tanks but that could be the rare people who jsut get lucky
thanks!
Old 06/19/2003, 12:11 AM
Moved On

Currently my SPS reef hosts a Lg. Imperator & Regal without ever nipping at the corals. The trick is to keep them well fed.
Old 06/19/2003, 02:22 AM
Registered Member

In my experience a well feed angel (flame, coral beauty, emperor) will generally stay away from polyps.
Old 06/19/2003, 05:45 AM
Registered Member

How about calms? I currently have a blueface and an emperor and am tempted to add a couple of calms. Any thoughts?
Old 06/19/2003, 08:40 AM
Registered Member

emperor

is your emperor in a reef with any sps, softies, lps?

also is it an adult......

got any pics i would luv to see them!
Old 06/19/2003, 08:46 AM
Under 2 Club

I have a Majestic, Flame and Keyhole in a SPS, Clam Tankw w/ a few softies. I don't have any problems w/ any of the angels nipping at any clams or corals.
Old 06/19/2003, 09:53 AM
Registered Member

angekls

pump

still looking for amny mroe replys..thanks
Old 06/19/2003, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

I have an adult emperor with sps, clams, mushrooms, etc... He does not touch a thing except for the small feather dusters that grow on the live rock. I keep him well fed and this seems to be working. Hope this helps
Old 06/19/2003, 10:22 AM
Registered Member

Would it be betteer to add the angel before corals, so he doesn't know or care what they are when you put them into your tank?
Old 06/19/2003, 10:34 AM
Registered Member

kd233

kd233 how big is your tank

and yes when is best to add the emperor after most / all the coral? or before...

my guess would be befre and get him really used to the flake and frozen as well as live foods..but

more posts would be great!
Old 06/19/2003, 11:32 AM
Acro-Nut

We are currently keeping a regal in our reef w/sps, a few lps and a clam. Before the regal we housed a majestic and an emperor angel, the olny reason we removed them (they are now in a friends tank) was to ensure the success of the regal. The majestic did nip at lps and softies but never touched a sps or clam.

I say if you really want to keep an angel in your reef go for it, just be prepared to remove some corals or the fish if need be. I do not recomend keeping the majestic and regal together, or any angels that have similar body shapes.

Also I would say that it is probably best to place the angel in after the corals and clams. It seems that something new in the tank always makes the fish curious. But that is olny MHO.

Colleen

Here's our beauty:

Old 06/19/2003, 12:24 PM
Moved On

If wanting both Imperator & Regal in the tank,place Regal first then the Imperator. If these are well fed, one will not have a problem placing SPS afterwards. Just make sure the Reagal is already eating & has LR cover.
Old 06/19/2003, 12:25 PM
Registered Member

what about flame angels?
Old 06/19/2003, 12:34 PM
Registered Member

Angels are always hit and miss in a reef tank. Stating that they will be fine as long as they are well fed is not necessarily true. Fish don't always graze/nip when they are hungry. If it was as simple as keeping them well fed then a lot of people who have had problems with them wouldn't have had those problems in the first place.

For every success story with them in a reef tank I know of at least one failure. I know of a guy who lost all of his clams (around 10) in one night to a new flame angel that ripped the siphons off of all the clams.

I do agree with Colleen though. It is probably best to try introducing an angel to an already full tank. New coral additions have sometimes spurred tasting/nipping behavior in some cases.
Old 06/19/2003, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

agreed. they are a crapshoot. just be prepared to loose everything. i had a blue face who's first act was to eat 2 large elegance corals or at least kill them. a clam added in my tank when he was there lasted mabye 7 hours. that was the last clam when he was there. no prob with zoos, hammers, frogies, shrooms, monitpora. some nipping of zoos actually.

They're so cool its tempting but just go in prepared to lose some stuff.
Old 06/19/2003, 01:11 PM
Registered Member

I have my regal angel and a flame angel in a mixed tank with SPS, LPS, softies, basically everything but clams. I flame has been in the system for 5 years the regal angel about 3 months.

The flame is a good girl. She will nip a little at the softies but has not done any serious damage to anything. She did aquire a taste for an open brain. I moved it to another system for three months. It heals-up and I moved it back and she left it alone.

The regal angel has removed very zooanthaid I had in that system! I think they are her favorite food. She also went after a devils hand leather and a large umbrella leather. I move them to other systems and they are fine. However, she has not touched the singularia leather or a yellow leather! I thought she might after I moved the other two but that has been several weeks ago and she has not bothered them. Maybe she will and I will end up moving the others. She is a very healthy regal angel who eats like a pig and I do keep her as well feed as possible. She was living at a good LFS for about 4 months before I brought her home she is not a red sea but a Phillipines variety (grey verses yellow neck) I have posted a picture of her in the photo gallery.

I am going to take down my 75 gallon SPS tank and combine it with my 125 mixed tank this summer. I am very interested in the clam issue since I ahve two clams in that system that will need to go in with the flame an the regal.

Thanks,
Connie

The regal completely leaves the LPS and SPS alone.
Old 06/19/2003, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

Re: kd233

Quote:
Originally posted by ryan_lalande
kd233 how big is your tank

and yes when is best to add the emperor after most / all the coral? or before...

my guess would be befre and get him really used to the flake and frozen as well as live foods..but

more posts would be great!
It is in a 125 with 4 chromis, 1 firefish, and 1 clown. I have added corals/clams after the fish has been introduced. The fish is aggressive with all types of food to include nori, frozen, and flake. I am probably just lucky that it has not gotten a taste for the corals. That could always change in the future.
Old 06/19/2003, 04:14 PM
Premium Member

I have a Emperor in a large reef and a Majestic in a small reef the Emperor and Majeastic likes any fleshy corals meat ,brain, and likes green zooanthaid.Don't matter if they are well fed or not.
here is some pictures.
Old 06/19/2003, 04:59 PM
Moved On

Well Fellas, maybe I've had beginner's luck with Imperators but over the years I've never had one eat my SPS's or clams.[3 since 1988] Or maybe, I learned a few tricks in the 70's![FO tanks]
Old 06/19/2003, 08:18 PM
Premium Member

here is todays picture
Old 06/19/2003, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Removed a large French Angel once. He destroyed all of my new softies in 20 minutes flat. I added these frags after he was in the tank for two years. I think it is definitely an expensive risk. Be prepared to give up the angel or the corals if things go sour.