Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Responsible Reefkeeping

Old 12/08/2007, 04:29 PM
Registered Member

Exclamation Worst Thing

This is one of the worst things i have ever seen, i found this vid on youtube:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Wb_N5oYhGGY

Old 12/08/2007, 07:41 PM
Registered Member

Kane,

Sure - beach wrack is terrible, lots of garbage, but in some environments, the lack of empty gastropod shells means that some land hermits go "unprotected". Better that it found this bit of trash to carry around than to be eaten by a bird don't you think? I did a science fair experiment 40 years ago that offered fake shells to aquatic hermits. I was amazed at what they would "try on for size".

JHemdal
Old 12/08/2007, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

That's a bad thing, but I don't suppose it's the worst. Don't get me wrong, that does suck!
Old 12/08/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

There is, unfortunately, nothing unusual about that video. Land hermits will use anything they can find, including natural items like coconut shells and bamboo. They will also use old broken gastropod shells that are barely recognizable.

I have friends (in the hermit crab world!) who have reintroduced suitable shells onto tropical beaches for the land hermits to us. I personally don't feel that there is a shortage of natural shells, but there certainly is no shortage of trash on beaches, especially plastic, and hermits will use what they need to!
Old 12/09/2007, 06:28 AM
Registered Member

I do agree its better they go protected but id rather see them using something else as shelter
Old 12/09/2007, 01:58 PM
Registered Member

One of the best things I have ever seen. What you people are against recycling? Would you rather he killed some snail for the shell like they do in our tanks all the time? Man is no lessor part of nature than any other organism- his cast off bottle is the same as a cast off shell. Obviously I am not in favor of pollution, but in this case it is not pollution- its home.
Old 12/11/2007, 03:55 PM
Registered Member

What's worse, the bottle as a shell, or being chased across the beach by that 6 foot giant?

Scared the bajeezus out of the little guy.
Old 12/11/2007, 04:02 PM
Registered Member

Its not the WORST thing but i have seen alot of things beter
Old 12/12/2007, 09:18 PM
Premium Member

It just goes to show that one man's trash is another man's treasure.

I think it's hilarious.
Old 12/12/2007, 09:18 PM
------------

It's an interesting thing. It is also a sad thing in some ways.

Though I would almost say it could be a positive.

I hope more species are able to adapt to human influence. We're a major environmental force and adaptation for many animals is critical!

If you dig into the pollution statistics bottles laying around the ocean are the least of our concerns. Same goes for oil spills. Though they are very visually striking and can have insant localized effects the total contributions to oceanic pollution of oil spills and to some extent physical garbage is minimal.
Old 12/13/2007, 10:31 PM
I think I love my tank

Quote:
Originally posted by 07kar93
Its not the WORST thing but i have seen alot of things beter
UMMM..."WORST thing" is the name of your thread.
Longnose Hawkfish
Magnificent Rabbitfish
Diamond Goby
Blond Naso Tang
Bluechin Trigger

I got the poo on me.
Old 12/14/2007, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

Well you know, to catch your attention
Old 01/05/2008, 02:37 PM
Registered Member

I think it just shows the adaptability of nature - the crab had a shell previous to moving into the bottle - it just found the bottle more roomy and decided to use it.
Hermit crabs do not "Automatically" grow larger over time - even after shedding they can remain the same size for a very long time, until a suitable larger shell becomes available,or in this case bottle.
Had the crab not found the bottle to his liking, he would simply have remained at the same size and kept his old shell.
Old 01/05/2008, 11:09 PM
10 & Over Club

Nope, they really do keep growing. I've seen plenty that are obviously long overdue for a new shell, yet they kept on growing without moving into that newer and bigger shell

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/05/2008, 11:41 PM
Registered Member

No kidding? They do keep growing even without changing out shells? I never realized that, as they didn't SEEM bigger to me, but then I didn't exactly measure them with a caliper or anything, just kind of eyeballed it, ya know?
I guess we all learn something new everyday! Anyway, the point of my post was that I think it's amazing how adaptable nature is - in the absence of natural shells, the animal found a "suitable" substitute to it's liking in the bottle.
Old 01/06/2008, 11:46 AM
10 & Over Club

The growth is slow, so we really don't notice such things in our aquaria, especially with small species we keep in our reefs. It more noticeable with the large species. I've seen it quite often in wild. Seems they sometimes get "attached" to a favorite shell and don't won't to move out till long past the time they should have, pretty darn funny looking too Kind of like the one that decided a bottle made a good home

BTW, a few months ago I picked up a bottle covered with jingle shells (a species of bivalve), and two different limpet species. I used it for a touch tank specimen and it got more interest than anything else from both kids and adults. Just to the amazement of what nature adapted too

"LOL, well I have no brain apparently. " - dc (Debi)
Old 01/11/2008, 01:47 PM
Registered Member

It's pretty amazing the power humans have to both destroy and create habitats. It would be pretty sweet if we could maybe spend a bit more time creating them though...