Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Corallimorpharians

Old 01/10/2008, 02:30 PM
Registered Member

Ricordea florida biotope

I have been wanting to setup a ricordea florida biotope for several years now and I finally have the resources to do so.

My queston is for people that have seen these coral in the wild. What other specific species (fish, inverts, other coral, algae) are they commonly seen with? I have never been diving in florida but I have seen a few pictures of them in the wild. Thank you for any help you can give me.

Tim
Old 01/10/2008, 03:18 PM
Registered Member

I was thinking of pederson cleaner shrimp but I have no idea if they even live in the same area as ricordea....I just noticed that they were for sale on eTropicals, but i have my doubts about them being found near ricordea.
Old 01/10/2008, 06:05 PM
Registered Member

bump, anyone?
Old 01/10/2008, 08:51 PM
Registered Member

I've seen them with mixed in with zoas. There were some diving pics posted in the FMAS forum
Old 01/10/2008, 09:30 PM
Registered Member

I knew they were common with zoas but I am a little cautious of them because I will have no idea where the zoas are from.

Is it FMAS.org?

Thanks for the help
Old 01/10/2008, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

I just checked it out and I think all the pic threads were old and have been deleted already.

Last edited by drawman; 01/10/2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 01/11/2008, 09:48 AM
Registered Member

According to Tullock's "Natural Reef Aquariums," they are found on the fore reef, with Condylactis, Bartholomea, and Phymanthus anemones; Pseudopterogorgia, Plexaura, and Briareum gorgonians, Discosoma neglecta, Zoanthus sociatus, Palythoa caribaeorum, P. tuberculosa, P. grandis, Parazoanthus swiftii, Arrow crabs, Banded Coral Shrimp, Golden-banded Coral Shrimp, and Peppermint Shrimp. For fish, he mentions Royal Gramma, Blue Chromis, and Blue Hamlet.

HTH,
-R
Old 01/11/2008, 05:09 PM
Registered Member

Awesome! Thanks for the help, I may look into getting that book just to check it out.
Old 01/11/2008, 05:54 PM
Registered Member

Does it mention macroalgae or seagrasses?
Old 01/11/2008, 09:32 PM
Registered Member

Allot of florida is seagrass beds I believe. I don't know the correct varieties found in the habitat though. Tullock is a really good author with some staunch advice!
Old 01/11/2008, 11:11 PM
Registered Member

Ken at Sealifeinc.net collects his own stuff from down in the keys. I have nothing but good things to say about his service and his livestock. He might also be able to help in your design.

Faz