Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks

Old 06/28/2007, 10:05 AM

"Well kids, you're both gonna have to get jobs..."
Old 06/28/2007, 01:39 PM
Registered Member

Wow!! I wish I could see that in person! Hmmm...trip to austin?
-Chuck
Old 06/28/2007, 01:41 PM
Team RC Member

hawaiianwargod - Those Elos tanks are sweet! I thought long and hard about getting one your size, but ultimately I chose this route to have more flexibility with the components. Elos already has a phenomenal track record, and their systems are so clean that eventually I'd like to have one ... maybe in my personal office. The 450g in my office that I mentioned earlier is in the waiting room, and I rarely have enough opportunity to enjoy it.

John - Stop, I'm blushing.

Ron R. - So have you actually been INSIDE the walls of AGE? What mystical secrets does it hold? I have imagined several different scenarios, everywhere from umpa lumpas working in assembly line fashion to individual stations where master craftsmen carry out their project from start to completion. Either way, their system works just fine.

Jonathan - you're heartless ... but funny

Chuck - Please drop me a pm when you come to Austin, I'd be happy to show you the tank. Even now I think it's fun to look at, but you might like it better in a year or so.

Today I went to Kingfish again, and I took most of my plumbing supplies. I'll be pretty busy over the next several days, so we'll probably get started on the plumbing late next week. I tried reaching the bottom to screw in a bulkhead and my arm is about 1" too short. Guess I'll have to put on a snorkel when it's time to add the clams.
Old 06/28/2007, 01:57 PM
Registered Member

A better idea to the snorkel... one inch of sand ahaha
Old 06/28/2007, 01:58 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Congrats, that is a wonderful tank! I still think you need a Bubble King.

So the next Austin visit I have like 6 tanks I'd love to see! The hangover generally wears off by 11 a.m.

edit - woah thedude, not to get OT I love your interests. I'm a nutty Chiefs fan (from KC) and hit at least a couple games a year! My avatar is usually an Arrowhead! Will be an interesting year since everyone in the division has "issues" ....

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 06/28/2007, 01:58 PM
I brake for sps

Dude, it has my stamp of approval!
Old 06/28/2007, 02:12 PM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thedude15810
A better idea to the snorkel... one inch of sand ahaha
Once again my attempt at humor has been squashed by a reality check.

Fliger - Too late for the BK, but this was not an oversight. You see, I'm already planning my next home tank, and for that I'll use my current AP851 and add to it a Bubble King. After all, 2 skimmers are better than 1, especially if they work by different mechanisms. Of course this is WAY OFF into the future, and by then others around here will have worked with BK and will have familiarity with them. As for now, John and Brian have a great working relationship with Doug at Deltec, so I know that if anything goes wrong I'll be covered.

fishypets - I've been waiting for that stamp, thanks bro! Please mention if there's anything you see that you don't like (and I'll ignore it like most things you tell me).
But seriously Clint, thanks, and when you're ready to get started back up, hopefully I'll have tons of frags for you.
Old 06/28/2007, 02:13 PM
Registered Member

Dudester, The tank looks amazing!

i myself am new to the aquarium addiction and i have a 55g tank but i was wondering about your rimless tank. Are rimless tank more expensive then the regular tanks? are they harder to fit with equipment (i.e. HOB skimmers, etc)?

Thats all the questions for now but amazing job with the tank so far!
Old 06/28/2007, 02:21 PM
THE 1 loss B(C)S winner!

Quote:
Originally posted by Dudester
You see, I'm already planning my next home tank
It really is a disease, isn't it. I was just kiddin man about the BK. Deltec makes a great skimmer. I'm also using a 1x1260 on my tank of a similar size and I'm sure it will keep up. I ran a 2x1260 on a 340 - then switched to a 3x1260 and didn't notice a difference. So I'm sure a good 1x1260 can keep up with ~210G.

Later,

David

Closed minds should come with closed mouths.
Old 06/28/2007, 05:50 PM
Onyx Clownfish

Welcome to the rimless club. I will never go back to a rimmed tank.
Old 06/28/2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by robster
Welcome to the rimless club. I will never go back to a rimmed tank.
You can say that again!

Dudester, you also have a 450 in your office?
Old 06/28/2007, 08:52 PM
Team RC Member

greg_mills - Thanks very much! Most tanks, especially as you go up in size, require a rim around the top and/or bracing in order to protect the seams from separating and to prevent the wall material from bowing, or bending. Bracing does not impact the amount of storage space on the inside, unless you wish to keep tall equipment right up against the glass walls. Bracing does, however, have a significant influence on one's access to the inside of the tank, since there's generally a lip of variable thickness that you need to work around in more standard, larger tanks. Rimless tanks allow for much better access to the inside of the tank, since there's no bracing or lip around the top of the tank. Hanging equipment on the side of a rimless tank would be as easy or easier than a braced tank, but I don't think it would look very good. Rimless tanks are a departure from the norm, especially for hobbiests who have had aquaria for a long time. People have a hard time trusting that they won't leak or bow without the bracing, and this is one reason why they have such a stunning appearance. Yes, they are more expensive, but they have to be built extremely well in order to withstand the forces of the internal water pressure without bracing. Hope that answers your question.

Fliger - It's kind of pathetic, isn't it, that I'm already thinking about another tank, and I don't even have this one home yet. I'm definitely a freak. BTW, the 1260 is an H&S, no?

robster - Thanks for the welcome -- when can I learn the secret handshake? Do you have a link to your tank?

invincible569 - Yes, we moved into our new office building in February of this year, and we had a 450g AGA tank built into the waiting room as a completely enclosed room divider with adjacent equipment room. Check it out if you wish, although it's in desparate need of updating. Last post was 5/4/07, and it's come a mile since then. I helped the Kingfish guys plan it out, but as thedude15810 mentioned earlier, it's his baby. I don't have time to think about stocking and maintaining that tank, along with a tank at home, that is, if I want to maintain any sort of family life (and I do). So John and Brian are responsible for that tank, and that thread, I might add
Old 06/29/2007, 09:10 AM
Onyx Clownfish

Old 06/29/2007, 09:56 AM
Team RC Member

Beautiful, robster! How do you like the nanostream?
Old 06/29/2007, 03:20 PM
Onyx Clownfish

Thanks Dudester. I like the nano's but not enough flow. I am waiting to replace them with the new wireless vortech powerheads and controller. I like your tank alot. I wish I had known about those pvc bottom tanks before I ordered mine. They are the Cadillac of custom made tanks. Will go that route for sure when I'm ready to upgrade. I will never go back to a rimmed tank again.
Old 06/29/2007, 03:45 PM

I have a Nano modded by Don Nguyen that kicks butt. It was a total piece of junk before he did the mod, but now it really throws some serious flow and always starts in the right direction. Still may not be powerful enough for that cube, but I am sure it's got more than 2000gph now.
Old 06/29/2007, 04:04 PM
Team RC Member

My variable-speed 6055 just arrived from Premium Aquatics. I ordered it more than 6 months ago for my 30g cube. I'll probably hook it up and play with it a little while in the cube, and I'll keep it for the new tank for when the corals grow out and I need supplemental flow. Positive attitude, right?
Old 06/29/2007, 09:16 PM
Onyx Clownfish

Tell me more about this mod. Any pics?
Old 06/29/2007, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Tell me more about this mod. Any pics?
You talkin' to me?
Old 06/30/2007, 02:11 AM
Premium Member

Yo DUDESTER! I'm spending too much time reading this thread. Tell john and brian to hurry up with the plumbing.

Can't wait to watch some glass get scraped!
Old 06/30/2007, 08:22 AM
Onyx Clownfish

Quote:
Originally posted by jnarowe
You talkin' to me?

Yes.
Old 06/30/2007, 09:54 AM
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GMFett
Yo DUDESTER! I'm spending too much time reading this thread. Tell john and brian to hurry up with the plumbing.

Can't wait to watch some glass get scraped!
John and Brian aren't doing the plumbing ... Mike (that's me, for those who don't know) and Brian are doing the plumbing. I need to get out to Kingfish and get all the equipment mocked out so Brian can baffle the sump. Once that's done, we'll get to the plumbing. We'll do most of it at the shop, then finish out the final touches at my house. I'm hoping we can get started soon, we just have to coordinate our schedules.
Old 06/30/2007, 10:05 AM
Premium Member

Hey Mike, is Kingfish open and working on Saturdays (like today?) I got a hankerin' to come down to Austin this afternoon. May be the push I need to be able to stop by the shop.
Old 06/30/2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Yes.
OK. I have been meaning to get a pic of it for a couple weeks now. I'll try to get it done in the next day or so. I am afraid that elements won't photograph well but I'll explain when I post the pics.
Old 06/30/2007, 01:46 PM
Will work 4 corals

They are still by appt. only. Call 512-371-3366

So shoot me!