Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Coral Forums > Zoanthids
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09/12/2006, 01:55 AM
Premium Member

Talking My first Zoo colony! and more...

So we went shopping yesterday and brought back two new peices, a big zoo colony with a unknown hitchiker, and a nice softie piece for the nano, i took some shots with my new digi cam too, but i couldnt get them to fit on reef central becuase the file size was too big so the pics are posted here....

http://ryanreef.blogspot.com/

This is my first zoo colony, and i did a suggested anti-flatworm/nudi dip before adding this piece to my tank using RO water with a couple drops of iodine, ph at 8.2, dip water at 78. for 5 minutes with a little swishing and swirling to dislodge any parasites. Fortunatly i did not see anything but amphipods come out. However there seems to be a maroon red colored hitchiker, it appears to be a small anenome, any suggestions?(close up pic included) My bright lights were off for the day when i took these pics, and the zoo was still recovering from the dip but tomarrow ill post some brighter pics when they are all open, the colors are brown skirt with a rich darker shade of green in the middle, they arent as pretty as all those brightly colored ones i see around but they didnt have the bigest selection either and i was ready for a colony. The second piece is a yellow color softie for our nano tank but we still are not exactly sure what it is....?
Best Regards!
Ryan
Old 09/12/2006, 05:22 AM
Premium Member

Question

Oh does anyone know what the common name for this variety of zoanthids are? Just curious, I'm not into coral for the money making thing, if i ever frag these ill probably just give them to friends.... Does anyone think i should use some saltwater epoxy to fix the colony up higher on some rocks? Any additional tips and tricks from those of you who are experienced with these would be most appreciated!
Thanks yall!
Ryan
Old 09/12/2006, 05:54 AM
Registered Member

RBTA????

youll get a better id with a pic
Old 09/12/2006, 05:59 AM
Premium Member

there are pics in the link above in my first post reef runt, ill try to get some better ones when i get off work this afternoon. Those were taken after my brights went off for the day.
Old 09/12/2006, 09:07 AM
Ugly fishes need love too

The hitchhiker looks like an aiptasia anemone. Nuke it with some kalk paste, joe's juice, or vinegar. Or you could just try breaking off that piece of rock with the aiptaisa on it.
Old 09/12/2006, 09:26 AM
Premium Member

I'm sure it is not aptasia, it looks nothing like it in person, i am very familiar with aptasia. The pic is too dark to tell but aptasia doesnt come in a blood red and the tenticals are not shaped like it either, the closest thing to a nuisence anenome it looks like are those lil pink tips, but like i said its not that color, and it has inflated tips. Let me get another pic before we discuss the hitch hiker further. I think a better pic will help with id. I still intend on removing the bugger from the colony obviously, but my wife tells me its moving off the colony onto another rock now... What about the zoo's?
Old 09/12/2006, 09:41 AM
Moved On

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryanqk
I'm sure it is not aptasia, it looks nothing like it in person, i am very familiar with aptasia. The pic is too dark to tell but aptasia doesnt come in a blood red and the tenticals are not shaped like it either, the closest thing to a nuisence anenome it looks like are those lil pink tips, but like i said its not that color, and it has inflated tips. Let me get another pic before we discuss the hitch hiker further. I think a better pic will help with id. I still intend on removing the bugger from the colony obviously, but my wife tells me its moving off the colony onto another rock now... What about the zoo's?
for safety measures, I would remove the hitchhiker...

Marvin
Old 09/12/2006, 10:12 AM
Premium Member

alright, im gonna seperate it into its own container, cuase my wife threatened to nuke me if i nuke it. I told her its her own risk if she wants to put it in her tank. She likes colorfull things too much it took me a while to convince her aptasia was bad lol
Old 09/12/2006, 05:12 PM
I am Nano

If the tips are inflted, then it is most likely a majano anemone.
Old 09/12/2006, 08:00 PM
Premium Member

alright some better pics are now up at, let me know what kind of zoo i have....

http://ryanreef.blogspot.com/

Last edited by Ryanqk; 09/12/2006 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09/12/2006, 11:26 PM
Zoanthid proper

your sun corals almost dead....
Old 09/13/2006, 12:05 PM
Premium Member

yeah im about to remove em, they got decimated by a near total crash a while back, and still havnt recovered. i might replace them with some mushrooms, anyone know what kind of zoo's these are?? all people have talked about is the anenome. He's gone as of this morning
Old 09/13/2006, 03:07 PM
I am Nano

Well, rather than focus on petty concieted thigns such as what zoos you have, and how rare they are, most people are trying to help you maintain a healthy tank. That anemone will spread, and spread, until your tank is overrun, and can kill all of your corals. I know you said that it was gone, but there will still be pieces of flesh, and smaller ones that budded from him, and blew away. They are never "just gone".
Old 09/13/2006, 06:41 PM
Premium Member

No i already removed the whole anenome without leaving chunks, they can indeed just be gone if you know how to remove them esp since he was only in the tank for a day. This is a forum about ZOO's, not pest anenome removal, i dont think its concieted to ask what the common name of my new zoo's are, and i have no interest in selling them. I'm offended that the first second someone is interested in a common name they assume you are out for money, if i ever do get rid of any ill be giving them to friends who have helped me, not selling them for profit. I assume they are pretty common considering these were leftovers at the store. I began this thread about the zoos not about one tiny anenome which can be quickly removed. Why would my asking make you so irritated? if these where some gorgeous brilliant zoo's and i had asked about price or rarity you would have a point, but as you can see, you dont. I do appreciate the tips on removing the hitchiker dont get me wrong, but this turned into more about the hitchiker than the zoo's i have questions about.

I found one polyp thats kinda the odd one out, its got more biege in it shorter skirt and the green is only on the tiny mouth, I think ill call him the general, the rest look like they are wearing army camo, lol Army polyps?

Last edited by Ryanqk; 09/13/2006 at 07:07 PM.
Old 09/13/2006, 10:36 PM
Premium Member

1.excessively high opinion of one's self or ability 2.an elaborate or strained metaphor

Like i said, my interest in the name of these not so colorful, apperently bottom of the bucket zoo's is anything but concieted, that would be a misuse of the word. I am interested in the variety purely out of interest in learning more about them, and especially since certain sub varieties apparently contain higher concentrations of dangerous toxins, in the additional interest in safety, why is it wrong to ask? More importantly if you know something about them, why would it be wrong to disclose that information? Go on ive been thru ethics classes ill debate this one.....