Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08/15/2007, 09:40 PM
Premium Member

New equipment and sump room venting.

I'm building a new fishroom and was wondering how to properly vent the room. I know it needs intake and outflow of a certain CFM, and I',m sure this depends on the BTU's created by the refrigeration, pumps and lighting.
Can some one point me in the right direction here?
Old 08/17/2007, 07:57 PM
Frugal Reefer

I have found the only way to vent a fish room easily is for it to have its own controls. This means a in wall AC (window unit or similar), or some kind of fan. The main problem is that the room itself has to have the thermostat and or humidity sensor. If you pipe it off the house AC and the room is sealed (or even vented) it will run too hot (or cold in winter) because the rest of the house will cool/heat faster and the air will turn off before reaching the desired temp in the room. With a window AC unit, the sensor is in the room and only effects the room itself. Or course if you are in a basement or room with no outside wall it will be more difficult.

Hit the little red house above for the ARC website! You know you want to!
Old 08/18/2007, 12:36 AM
Premium Member

Thanks for the reply Entropy. The humidity sensor sounds interesting.
Do you have a model or company that I could look into?
Old 08/18/2007, 02:37 AM
Premium Member

In my fishroom I installed two bathroom fans for 20 dollars each, and I have them come on for five minutes every hour and it seems to be working well. I have thought about getting a AC unit, but the boss of the house says no way are you getting your fish there own AC unit. I think I am going to buy the AC unit and ask for forgiveness!!
Old 08/18/2007, 02:26 PM
Premium Member

Thanks Paulairduck
Old 08/18/2007, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

From what Ive heard a HRV is the best option for tank room.I believe it stands for Heat Recovery and Ventilation,I believe they exchange humid air for fresh outside air,hopefully someone else can chime in a bring you up to date on these cause thats all I know about them but they are suppose to be really good for aquariums and such.
Old 08/18/2007, 05:45 PM
Premium Member

Heat recovery and ventilation. Sounds good thanks. I'll do a web search.