Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/22/2007, 06:25 AM
Registered Member

Looking for tank set up guidance

hey all.
I am setting up my first SW tank. I have a 70g oceanic tech tank (36wx25tallx18front to back) and a megaflow#2 trickle filter in the stand. I probably will be getting the Outer Orbit 150 MH unit that is three ft wide for lighting. That's when I start to need a little help.
--Can I leave the bio balls in the trickle filter or do I need to replace them with Live Rock?
--I think that I will forgo a canister filter, instead putting a charcoal bag into the trickle filter. OK idea, or terribly misguided?
--Then the protein skimmer. My lfs carries coral life and euroreef skimmers. I was thinking of getting a euroreef or should I go online for an ASM or if I can find one, and octopus. I would prefer to patronize my lfs.
SO please help guide this wide eyed noob though the set up so I can get on to the cycling...
Old 12/22/2007, 07:10 AM
Registered Member

Ditch the bio-balls and definatly replace with live rock, much more beneficial.
A media bag filled with charcoal is a good idea, alot of people do that. It is easier to maintain and clean, a canister filter is just a future nitrate problem.
The coralife skimmer is ok if you are not going to carry a heavy bio load, the euroreef is really good and I think the asm skimmer is better, not sure and not very familiar with them maybe some else can chime in.
Good luck, ask alot of questions, and be patient.
Welcome to RC.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:15 AM
problem algae grower

get a 250 watt fixture, even a 400 watter, trust me you will just end up upgrading.

Just have floss in the trickle and replace it every few days, no need for the balls,
you can put carbon in the trickle, as long as you replece it every week to two weeks, little and often, floss first then carbon, a little lr after that wont hurt.

If you are hanging your skimmer on the tank, try to get on that does not have the skimmer pump in the tank, it just looks bad. if in the sump the euro reef are supposed to be good.

hang on skimmers are likely to give you microbubble issues.
Old 12/22/2007, 07:40 PM
Registered Member

[welcome]