Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10/05/2007, 03:27 PM
Registered Member

Talking Octopus HOB Skimmer Owners

I would like some feed back on this skimmer please share what model you have and how do you like it? And also what mods have you done to it if you have. I would like togather some info about this skimmer since there arent that many reviews on it.
Old 10/05/2007, 07:45 PM
Registered Member

bump
Old 10/05/2007, 08:05 PM
Registered Member

I use the HOB 100 model with the Resun King needlewheel pump on my 90. It's not a bad skimmer but I think it's more suitable for a 75 gallon max. which is fine with me because I run my tanks a bit more nutrient rich than others. It pulls out some nasty foam and I run it pretty dry. The only things I don't really care for is the large pump and the water level on the return can get high sometimes. Other than that, it's quite, works well and appears to be well made. I basically look at it as a CPR backpack on steroids.

No mods either, although I've been considering increasing the airflow some by drilling out the pump fitting, but have been reluctant to do so.
Old 10/05/2007, 08:11 PM
Registered Member

Any attemps to mesh mod the pump? A CPR on steriods thats a good one. I look forward to more reviews. Hows the quality of the plastic on the skimmer? I had a cpr and it looked like its all cracked and what not. And the odyseas look too cheap and easy to bust.
Old 10/05/2007, 09:43 PM
Registered Member

Happyface888 check your skimmer pro con price thread for more on my opinion. I just got my Octopus HOB 100 and it seems really well built, plus David at CoralVue has answered all my questions very throughly and quickly. Only had it for a couple of days though, but it is pulling skim. Resun pump on mine as well. The pump is a little large in my 29 gal. I plan on posting the performance of it with pics when it gets done breaking in. As far as mods I haven't done anything yet, the NW has "needles" on both sides of the wheel though. I don't know if that makes any performance difference though.

Last edited by VengefulNemesis; 10/05/2007 at 09:48 PM.
Old 10/05/2007, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

Keep me posted on how that skimmer goes. I cant really find many reviews on this skimmer. I am interested in this skimmer as well. But the one I am looking at has the pump in side the skimmer so no pump is showing in the tank. I was told that the resun pump is a knockoff of a sedra pump which is used on Euros. Now I need someone to compare does the octopus have a bigger collection cup than the cpr?
Old 10/05/2007, 09:59 PM
Registered Member

The cup measures 4 3/16 long, 2 13/16 deep, and 4 5/8 of skim collection tall. I don't know about the Resun/Sedra comparision though. HTH
Old 10/05/2007, 10:05 PM
Registered Member

I asked Luke he told me its a KO of the sedras, If you do plan to mesh mod the pump, take off the first layer of of needles paddles and than stick one or two layers of enkamat. Heres the mod but its slightly different. Dont use tie straps, use fishing line and dont use gutter guard just use 1 to 2 layers of enkamat.
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=28372
When you have some time post some pics of the skimmer.
Old 10/05/2007, 10:31 PM
Registered Member

I'll post some pics of it running in the a.m. Also I'm diggin' the Mickey Kingdom Hearts Avatar. I'm a big Final Fantasy fan.
Old 10/05/2007, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

I wonder when will they release kingdom hearts 3. My ps2 broke and my ps1 broke never got a chance to really play any finafantasy games.
Old 10/06/2007, 08:30 AM
Registered Member

Collection Cup

Resun Pump

Making bubbles

I haven't heard anything about KH3 yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time. Hope these pics help, I knew I should have taken pics before it was installed. If you need anymore let me know.
Old 10/06/2007, 09:59 AM
Registered Member

Looking good as for the pump I think you can remove that bottom piece that makes the pump look so bulky. How long has it been skimming? And it looks way better than a cpr. The collection cup fromt his pic does make the cprs look pretty small. Hmm did you check out kingdom hearsts final mix? Thats where I heard they got a sneak preview of kh3.
Old 10/06/2007, 10:08 AM
Registered Member

Here's my pump - doesn't have the intake strainer (didn't come with it). One thing I do recommend is turning the outlet elbow to face the glass behind. It leaves like a 1/4" gap and allows the bubbles to flow straight up instead of going all through the display.

Side shot - I don't care for the air vent on the top. Salt creep accumulates quickly here:

And 3 days of collection running dry. Usually fills to the o-ring. Kind of tough to see though:

Old 10/06/2007, 10:11 AM
Registered Member

Wow thoes are some great pics. Thanks for the pics pIankton, and also the tip. Keep me posted on the skimmer.
Old 10/06/2007, 10:19 AM
Registered Member

oh yeah - you'll need to remove the sponge from the bottom. All it does is clog up on you.

Other than that, no major gripes. Skims well enough for me with no mods and has been going strong since March.
Old 10/06/2007, 10:23 AM
Registered Member

I cleaned the cup last throughly last night around 9 pm, after a 5 gal water change, and a through tank cleaning. Took the pics around 9 a.m. This tank had a Remora with a mj1200 on it previously. I know it hasn't broken in yet, though. I did the same thing with the outlet facing the glass. I was afraid a snail would find his way in and block the outlet. Here's a pic of what the Remora pulled from Sun to Fri.

I am hoping the Octo will do better than this. Will keep everyone posted. Thanlks for the sponge tip, I'll pull that out.
Old 10/06/2007, 10:55 AM
Registered Member

Alright finally a new thread about a hang on skimmer, there arent many around here are there? Great pics everyone and keep me posted on this skimmer. Has anyone tried the dual or the internal pump skimmer?
Old 10/06/2007, 10:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by FishAreFriends2
Alright finally a new thread about a hang on skimmer, there arent many around here are there? Great pics everyone and keep me posted on this skimmer. Has anyone tried the dual or the internal pump skimmer?
Naw, but the thing that concerns me about the internal pump model is servicing it. Haven't gotten close enough to see one except for the bad pics on-line.
Old 10/06/2007, 11:00 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by VengefulNemesis
I cleaned the cup last throughly last night around 9 pm, after a 5 gal water change, and a through tank cleaning. Took the pics around 9 a.m. This tank had a Remora with a mj1200 on it previously. I know it hasn't broken in yet, though. I did the same thing with the outlet facing the glass. I was afraid a snail would find his way in and block the outlet. Here's a pic of what the Remora pulled from Sun to Fri.

I am hoping the Octo will do better than this. Will keep everyone posted. Thanlks for the sponge tip, I'll pull that out.
That's from Sunday to Friday, or Friday to Sunday? If Sunday to Friday (a week's worth), then you'll be more than impressed with the Octo.
Old 10/06/2007, 11:05 AM
Registered Member

So do you guys leave the air valve wide open and whats the best spot to sit the collection cup?
Old 10/06/2007, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

Sorry Sun to Fri (6 days). Mine is the 100 same as pIankton's, the dual was to big and servicing the internal pump would be a bear I figure. I don't have an air valve on mine its just open. As far as collection cup height, do you want wet or dry skim? Mine is very new and not broken in yet, my cup is up pretty high. Once it breaks in just experiment with the height till you find one you like.
Old 10/06/2007, 11:51 AM
Registered Member

yeah the internal one does look harder to clean but it seems you can hide your heater in there, can the 100 fit a heater back there as well? I am considering a new hang on currently not getting much out of umm I have no clue what this skimmer is on my tank. I was thinking of getting the remora before but after reading it here and there, and found that they were a diy skimmer. That means its a hit or miss, it either skims well or it doesnt. The deltec skimmer seems good but for 500-600 dollars forget that. The typhoon I thought about but I dont like that theres no collection cup, seems like a pain to have to shut off the skimmer in order to take off the cap and it can siphon and flood. The odysea skimmers ps75/160 look like they work but the quality kind of makes me think it might break on me. The cpr Looks the same as the octo but cost so much more and I am not sure if it skims well, I havent seen many pics on it. The bermuda rogue cost 225 or more and so far not alot of reviews on it so I dont want to try it. I know the tunze doc skimmers are good but kind of too much and I dont want it to be seen in the tank. The coralife got mixed reviews said its kind of touchy and floods so Im scared to hear about that. As for the turbofloater multi it looks promising but kind of big and I dont think it'd fit in the back. Keep me updated on how this skimmer works.
Old 10/06/2007, 12:04 PM
Registered Member

Don't know about heaters. Mine are in the tank. My airline is wide open too.
Old 10/06/2007, 12:05 PM
Registered Member

Does it look like you can fit a heater in there?
Old 10/06/2007, 12:09 PM
Registered Member

I was in the same boat as you regarding which hob would work the best for my budget. David at CoralVue reccomended that I contact Custom Aquatic for the skimmer. Here's the link http://www.customaquatic.com/ It's on sale and you can't beat the price imo. My 200w Visitherm heater fits, there is a little wiggle room.