Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/29/2007, 10:26 AM
Registered Member

Approx how many fish can be put in a 24 gal nano tank?

My friend might be selling me his 24gallon nanocube with 40 #'s of live sand. Based on some research it seems like this could be a good beginner tank for myself. Before I buy, about how many fish could live comfortably in this size tank? While the corals and such look amazing in your guys tank, I wont have the lighting for that and I am mostly interested in adding fish to my tank. What do you guys think?
Old 12/29/2007, 12:20 PM
Life's better on 1 wheel

it depends on which fish

click on the red house for my MYSPACE page with pics of my tank
Old 12/29/2007, 12:23 PM
Registered Member

3-5 small fish.....i have 4 in a standard 20H tank, and they are all happy.....2 occelaris clowns, 1 sixline, and 1 neon goby
Old 12/29/2007, 12:30 PM
Team RC Member

That's about right. Each fish needs his territory, and some are more territorial than others. If you went for the smallest gobies you could have a fair little community. [The highfins, tangaroas, yashias, and the smallest blennies, like the bicolor, max at about 2" long and eel-like in shape.] You might have 5, 6, even 7 of those without an overload. Go for a fatbodied fish that maxes at 4" [like a puffer] and you only get one in a 20g.

"Make haste slowly." ---Augustus.

"If anything CAN go wrong, it will, and at the worst possible moment."---St. Murphy.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:04 PM
Registered Member

Excuse my newbie-ness, does anyone ever add small crustaceans to nano tanks? How about a sea horse or something similar? Or a small eel? Just looking for something different.
Old 12/29/2007, 10:14 PM
Registered Member

I have 3 fish in my 30g high nano.

1- diamond watchman goby
1-occelarus clown
1-6 line wrasse

None of those fish will get very big. I HAD a flame angel, but it died on Christmas morning from an ich and velvet infestation. I'll just stick with 3 fish. My tank isn't overstocked and my bioload is low.

I'm mostly interested in the corals anyway. The fish are only in there to keep people from asking stupid questions (how can it be a fish tank without any fish in there?)
Old 12/31/2007, 04:33 PM
Registered Member

You can absolutly do crustaceans. Hermits are alwys good to clean up the sand. Cleaner shrimp among others are also great to look at!

I would stay away from eels. I don't have the most knowledge on them, but from my understanding there are none small enough for a nano. Most get rather large.
Old 12/31/2007, 04:43 PM
RC Admin
Canuck Reefer

... eels are also messy eaters. they can really add to the bioload.

"I have heard of a place where humans do battle in a ring of Jello."
Old 12/31/2007, 05:08 PM
Registered Member

I really wouldnt do so many blennys in the beginning, if your nano cube has a refugium, or even just lots of live rock you can support bicolors and scooter blennys. But i wouldnt suggest blennys untill your tank is well established, theres things called copepods that live on the rocks, and blennys feed on these. Personally i hand feed mine brine shrimp, but you can also buy little bottles of copepods to put on the LR, but its not cheap.

Hope this helps

Fish are better than people because people can be untrustworthy and corrupt, Fish are pure :)