Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/31/2007, 04:16 PM
Registered Member

WOW, thats really nice racksteris. I currently have a 75gal FOWLR, but my girlfriend has become more and more interested in the hobby, and has been inquiring about Nano systems. She really wants a 12gal, with an anemone and two clowns.

Your tank is really nice!
Old 12/31/2007, 07:14 PM
Registered Member

wow 20 nassarius in that? i barely have 5 in my 30g. thinking about adding some sps?
Old 12/31/2007, 09:38 PM
Registered Member

Hi everyone, I re-arrange my live rock and wanted to post some pictures. I add a cave under the rocks. Let me know what you guys think.

Front shot

Side shot

Old 12/31/2007, 11:58 PM
Registered Member

i like the new scape. i like when the shrimps are able to hang upside down but make sure there isnt any dead spots under there
Old 01/01/2008, 12:08 AM
Registered Member

That looks really nice. Why can't you have dead spots?
Old 01/01/2008, 03:53 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jason1520
WOW, thats really nice racksteris. I currently have a 75gal FOWLR, but my girlfriend has become more and more interested in the hobby, and has been inquiring about Nano systems. She really wants a 12gal, with an anemone and two clowns.

Your tank is really nice!
Thanks Jason1520, The 12 Gal. nanos are a good size to start out with.
Old 01/01/2008, 04:01 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m1enbo1
wow 20 nassarius in that? i barely have 5 in my 30g. thinking about adding some sps?
Hey m1enbo1, I do have 20 Nassarius in there and I want to get more, I really like these little guys, there all over the tank in the sand on the glass eating all the left over food. I want to add like 10 more would there be a problem having so many. I will be adding some SPS, but right now I want to get my sump\ Refugium up and running fully, Them I'm going to start stocking the tank.
Old 01/01/2008, 12:18 PM
Premium Member

Tank is looking great so far. You and I both have the same taste....I also have a clown, firefish, and blood shrimp jk

Definitely go for some FrogSpawn. It is easy, hardy, and can be had for a reasonable price if you find someone local. It grows nicely so you can guarantee future fragging.

Instead of more nassarius, get some cerith snails, and maybe some astrea's. The nass love the sand and glass at times, while the cerith move around at completely different times and in different areas. Diversity will keep it even cleaner.

Good Updates!
Old 01/01/2008, 06:45 PM
Premium Member

looking good. my ap12 is only in its 5th day of cycling. =/
Old 01/01/2008, 10:20 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by saltman123
Tank is looking great so far. You and I both have the same taste....I also have a clown, firefish, and blood shrimp jk

Definitely go for some FrogSpawn. It is easy, hardy, and can be had for a reasonable price if you find someone local. It grows nicely so you can guarantee future fragging.

Instead of more nassarius, get some cerith snails, and maybe some astrea's. The nass love the sand and glass at times, while the cerith move around at completely different times and in different areas. Diversity will keep it even cleaner.

Good Updates!
Thank you saltman123, I will be get getting some more cerith & astrea snails. I want a FrogSpawn, But at all my LFS everything goes SO FAST you got to be there when they take it out of the bags. I'm looking in to ordering stuff online.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:25 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JusTartedReefer
i like the new scape. i like when the shrimps are able to hang upside down but make sure there isnt any dead spots under there
Thanks, I will be adding 2 Koralia Nano this weekend, Hopefully that will take care of all my dead spots. My shrimp loves to hang upside down, And he looks cool doing it.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:26 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SeaSerpant
That looks really nice. Why can't you have dead spots?
Thank you.
Old 01/01/2008, 10:28 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by thin crust
looking good. my ap12 is only in its 5th day of cycling. =/
Thanks, Good luck with your AquaPod.
Old 01/02/2008, 10:33 PM
Registered Member

I dont know if theres anything bad against having alot of nassarius. probably not. it'll be useful though because whenever thers a dead fish they will be quick to take care of it all. one bad thing i see is if you have any other snails like turbo or astreas that happen to fall off the glass and cant get back up, then the nass will eat them. even alive. thats how i loose my snails. good luck with the tank. keep us updated
Old 01/03/2008, 11:51 PM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m1enbo1
I dont know if theres anything bad against having alot of nassarius. probably not. it'll be useful though because whenever thers a dead fish they will be quick to take care of it all. one bad thing i see is if you have any other snails like turbo or astreas that happen to fall off the glass and cant get back up, then the nass will eat them. even alive. thats how i loose my snails. good luck with the tank. keep us updated
Thanks m1enbo1, I didn't know they would eat live snails. I'm going to keep an eye on them.
Old 01/04/2008, 12:09 AM
Registered Member

So far all is good with my tank. Except I can't seem to keep my hands out of the tank.. I moved most of my live rock out of my display in my sump. My clown fish didn't like this very much and keep attacking my hand, He got off a couple of good bites. I did this because I want to have a lot of room in my tank for corals. I would like to have a good size Frogspawn & Hammer coral. These are the new aquascape let me know what you thing

Old 01/04/2008, 01:26 AM
Registered Member

Hi everyone, what's a good site online to order Chaetomorpha Algae & Ulva Lettuce Algae for my refugium. Also this is my first refugium so any advice or pictures of your refugium is welcome. So far I got 25 Gal tank which I'm using as a sump/refugium. It's got a 3 DSB (Arag-Alive sand), 20 lb. Fiji Live Rock. 30 watt Fluorescent light (Coralife High Intensity 20,000°K Lamp). The flow is about 400 GH. Again I could use some advice.

Thank You....

Last edited by racksteris; 01/04/2008 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01/04/2008, 03:15 AM
Registered Member

Tank looks good! Do you always run the fuge/sump that full? I would try to run it half full just in case the return pump fails. And I would put the skimmer in the fuge/sump for looks of the main tank. for macro algea,I think any site that sells it is good. I would go with marineflora.com

I put the blue stuff on the red stuff.
Old 01/06/2008, 01:57 AM
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by E30 E T A
Tank looks good! Do you always run the fuge/sump that full? I would try to run it half full just in case the return pump fails. And I would put the skimmer in the fuge/sump for looks of the main tank. for macro algea,I think any site that sells it is good. I would go with marineflora.com
Thank you E30 E T A. Yes I keep the sump about 2 inch from the top. There is lots of room for the overflow water, I turn off the return pump every time I feed my fish's. I have moved the skimmer to my sump, the display look very clean now. Thanks for that link, I will be getting some macro algae from them.
Old 01/06/2008, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

New Pictures

Old 01/06/2008, 02:03 AM
Registered Member

booooo i like the rock work the old way J/K

it will look nice once the tank is filled more