Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community Archives > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12/20/2007, 04:25 AM
Registered Member

Quick question: I have the Octo 100f on my 75g FOWLR. When I first set the skimmer up, the water level was about 6 to 8 inches below the top of the skimmer. The day I put the skimmer on the tank, I did a water change. The water level was at the top of the tank.

The other day I did a water change and again, brought the water level up to the top of the tank. Yesterday I noticed that the water level in the skimmer is unusually high. The water is about 2 to 3 inches from the tope of the skimmer. I have not noticed it this high since I have bought it.

Is there some reason the water level in the skimmer would rise? Does the water level in the tank somehow effect the level in the skimmer? How can I prevent an overflow (which is my fear)? The air line has no adjustment valve, but I do have the "silencer" on it currently. Any advice and or help would be appreciated!
Old 12/20/2007, 07:13 AM
Premium Member

make sure there's no snails in your return tubes! I had one in my intake tube that kept stopping my siphon and it took me forever to figure out that it was an astrea. Easiest way to do that is just stick your finger int he return tube from inside the skimmer and then also in the elbow in the tank, and then down in the T. I've noticed for some reason when I do that, the water level lowers for some reason. Also, make sure your airline is clean. if your pump is pumping a heavier water to air mix, the return chamber will fill higher, the more air you have going into the pump, the lower the return chamber should be. pulll your airline off your silencer and make sure there's no water in it.

If none of these solutions works, you MAY have some salt creep in your airline, easiest way to rectify this is just pull your airline off your silencer and put the open end in the tank or ro/di water and let the pump suck some of that through the tube. it should clear it out.

HTH, let us know if you need some more ideas.

Go SunDevils...there's always next year!
Old 12/20/2007, 09:47 PM
Registered Member

Ok I remembered someone asked if they could stick a octo hob in the back of their aquapod or whatever and I say it can be done.

Quote:
Originally posted by TKByrnes
Ok here are the pics!!! 10 minutes of skimmate!!! I tried to get some pics of the way it is setup in the rear chambers. the intake side with the pump is in the return chamber. and the outlet is in the live rock side where the surface skimmer is on the filter chambers!!

well thats the start I didn't even think it would fit.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:12 PM
Registered Member

yea it fits!! Now I have a problem. the pump keep shutting off for a couple seconds and then starting back up on its own... Anyone have this issue?
Old 12/20/2007, 10:18 PM
Registered Member

Aww man that sucks...... Contact the store that sold you the skimmer and ask for a replacement pump. A couple of months ago there were a few who had that same problem as you. There was a bad batch of octopus bh100s that came with over heating resun pumps. I thought they fixed that problem, but it seems like they didn't yet. The overheating pumps problems are mostly on the bh100's. You can also talk to David at Coralvue for help he's a nice guy and will help you solve your problems.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

yea I sent the place I got it from an email but I havent heard back yet. Is there any other pumps to put on this thing? maybe just upgrade the pump already? and hour of use and im talking about upgrading it already!!! lol
Old 12/20/2007, 10:23 PM
Registered Member

also should I shut it off? will It hurt to keep using it?
Old 12/20/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

Thats good to hear. I hope they get back to you soon. Does the pump keep on shutting off and turning back on non-stop or something? As for pumps you could use genx1000 or a sedra2500. But if you buy either pump it is best to take the resun pumps impeller and stick it in to those. Those don't have overheating issues. And they are the same pumps, all their parts fit into one another. Same pump different name and quality.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:30 PM
Registered Member

1 hour in!!!

Old 12/20/2007, 10:32 PM
Registered Member

what do you mean "on non stop" it just keeps shutting off and will start back up in a couple seconds.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:43 PM
Registered Member

Like right now is it constantly shutting and restarting. Or it shuts off every other minute and starts back up? Thats the problem with the resun pumps it seems that the pumps that come with the bh100 have problems. Once they send you a new pump you won't have to worry about this again. The substitute pumps mentioned above can be helpful if you don't want resuns. Meshing the pumps would be another choice to make it skim like a monster.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

If you can Pm koraltek and ask him what other pumps he would recommend for upgrading. I have the bh100f so I am not sure whats the best pump for the bh100. He has both models and he's currently testing them out with mods and pumps. Would be helpful if you wanted to upgrade to a better pump.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

it will run for about 3-5 min and shut off for a couple seconds (maybe 10 or so) and then start back up. I turned it off for about 10 mins and now it has been running for about 10 min ok without shutting off. Im still going to get a new pump. will it be ok runing like that untill the new one gets here or should I shut it off!!! well spoke too soon it just shut off and restarted!
Old 12/20/2007, 10:55 PM
Registered Member

Well I wouldn't run the pump if it keeps on doing that. I'd wait for the place that sold it to you to respond. BTW where did you order it from? I know aquacave will send a replacement pump right away. So for the meantime you can throw the mj1200 thats on your seaclone for tempory use.
Old 12/20/2007, 10:58 PM
Registered Member

ok ill swap out with mj this sux!!! why do I always get the defective JUNK!! Love the skimmer though!!!
Old 12/20/2007, 11:02 PM
Registered Member

Yeah I totally agree, The skimmer works great. I'd just wait for the replacement pump, it seems that the pumps that come with the bh100 have issues, and I thought it was fixed. BTW whered you get the skimmer and is the pump hot when you touch it? The mj1200 won't be as effective though but for the meantime it will work.

Note:
You should turn that seaclone in to a phos reactor or something.

Last edited by happyface888; 12/20/2007 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12/20/2007, 11:12 PM
Registered Member

I got it from thereefstop.com I havent tried to touch the pump. I just turned it off. This really sux. I ordered the skimmer almost 2 weeks ago and paid ups second day air. well they shiped it fedex ground! They did refund the shipping diff though. now I guess ill wait till I hear from them. Hopefully they will get a pump out tomorrow. maybe Cause all the issues I have had they will send it overnight. prob not though. The people I got my sunpod from replaced the bulb because it blew out in about a week and they sent me a 20k uppon reqest instead of the 14k and also sent it priority mail so I had it the next day!!
Old 12/20/2007, 11:15 PM
Registered Member

Hmm for thereefstop. I think it'd be best if you contacted them via phone. I have delt with Mark over at TRS before, great customerservice, same place where I picked up my octo from. Let me know if the mj fits if not, than its best to let Mark get back to you.
Old 12/20/2007, 11:19 PM
Registered Member

Ill just wait till they cotact me. or ill try to call them tomorrow.
Old 12/20/2007, 11:21 PM
Registered Member

Sorry to hear the pump bummed out on you. I think a sick upgrade would be throwing on a sedra 2500 pinwheel. But I don't know if that would be way too much power for the skimmer. Meshing it improves the amount of skimmate. If you looked over at the mod thread you will see what Koral got outta his tank 15g.
Old 12/20/2007, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

yea I might upgrade the pump. But ill still take the replacement pump!! ok going to bed ill keep everyone informed on what happens!!
Old 12/20/2007, 11:24 PM
Registered Member

I hope everything gets resolved.
Old 12/21/2007, 03:49 AM
pwn3d by skimzor

Quote:
Originally posted by happyface888
If you can Pm koraltek and ask him what other pumps he would recommend for upgrading. I have the bh100f so I am not sure whats the best pump for the bh100. He has both models and he's currently testing them out with mods and pumps. Would be helpful if you wanted to upgrade to a better pump.
this pump would be great to use for the bh100, or bh100f, just put the impellar from the octo resun 225 into it, and screw the metric outlet adapter from the octo pump on the outlet of the gen x and it's ready to go.
http://www.fishsupply.com/spksp-sm00.html

yes, you can also use a sedra 2500 nw pump as well, a little more money, but a much better motor inside the pump, and excellent performance.

http://www.reefgeek.com/filtration/P...ASM_G-1_by_ASM
Old 12/21/2007, 05:22 AM
Registered Member

thanks dzeadow, those are all great ideas. I will start with the first and go down the line until one works.

Ill keep ya updated!

Thanks again!
Old 12/21/2007, 10:08 PM
Premium Member

Need help guys.............

I talked my friend into buying a octopus recirc 110 skimmer and they sent him the new one (ext-ps-120). It came with only a diagram and no instructions on how to hookup. I have a euroreef insump skimmer and dont know much about his but i think we put it together right. Does anyone have one and can post some pics of the setup so i can see if i got it right before we put it in his house (test ran it w/ a bucket outside). During the test run, the pipe that says open/closed had no effect on the skimmer when turned and i think it should (my euro freaks out if i budge it), barely any bubbles in main chamber, and im not sure (but i think i am right) that the tee under the open/closed pipe is for the return to the sump but if it is do i use pvc cement to seal it (during test it leaked...obviously cuz it had no cement).

This skimmer is not mine and i dont want to cement anything unless i know we are right. Please help me guys... I searched for instructions, manuals, videos... but all i find is on the older model dnw110 and they are different. I can also provide you my cell if you can walk me thru this.

If no one knows then ill post a pic and or a video tomorrow to show how it runs (a test run outside) that way i can get some feedback.

Also, I think we were pumping in water too fast (using a mag pump 250gph) and it overflowed the skimmer but when we used a ball valve on the intake line and slowed it a bit it stopped the overflowing...????....

Ill be sitting here waiting/praying on some responses!!!!!

salinity: 1.025
ammo: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 10
ph :8.0-8.3
alk: 4
calcium: 450-500

(knock on wood...)